Check Your Meter

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by remnant • Nov 24, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Some people have faulty electric meters installed or which have gone into a state of disrepair due to passage of time. This results in payment of higher bills than what has been actually consumed. When you find that your electricity bills are disproportionate to usage, check your meter and then start the initiative to see whether you can be compensated for the overcharge.

2. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    You know for all the talk that I have heard about companies making it easier for the consumer to track their usage and all of that, I really have not seen much that has been put into practice, at least around where I lie I know that I would love to have the option, but maybe I am just missing out on something.

3. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have experienced a faulty meter sometime in the 1990s. It's a good thing that we have noticed the increasing amount of our electric bill. We did not make a move until the electric bill was already double that of our usual consumption. When we called for service from the power supplier, the technician hastily replaced the faulty meter and had us fill up a form for an estimated rebate. So now we are always checking the electric bill and analyzing the figures if it seemed correct otherwise we would again call for service check of our meter.

4. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    This is so true. We had this issue long back and got corrected finally.

It was becoming a trend in our neighbourhood to temper with meters and avoid charges for electricity bills.

However, it was found out by the authority and drastic steps were taken to correct it.

5. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    It did something to us sometime. My wife was surprised upon receiving out monthly bill. It doubled our consumption as compared to our previous bills. At first I won't believe her but when I saw the bill I wasn't surprised but I was shocked. I paid a visit our the local office of the electric company. I found out that it was the different balance appended to our bill for our defective meter was pulled out and I wasn't able to get the reading of the said meter. I didn't make any payment until it was resolved. I planned to file charges against the person who mistakenly read our meter but my wife stopped me.