Checkout purchases

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Jessi • Nov 17, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    How often do you toss things in your cart while you're checking out?

I mean.... all of those candies, books, magazines, gum, etc, that's sitting at the checkout counter. Are you the type that ends up grabbing something because it's only a buck or two? How much do you think that those things add up?

2. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    My main offense is grabbing for a soda from those coolers that they have located near the checkout stands. I don't really care about the snacks and other knick-knacks but I can't avoid the drinks. It seems like the longer I stare at it the more tempting it becomes.

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I used to be really bad at those last minute purchases but over the years have gotten much better about sticking to my list. The one item I still fall victim to is batteries. I am sure that they cost more at the check out line but that is usually when I remember that we need them and by then, I don't want to leave the line to go get them from another part of the store.

4. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    I am pretty good about not picking up things near the checkout counter. While it is a smart strategy to bring in more revenue, it is difficult to deal with when you have small, impulsive children. My toddler is beginning to "ask" for candy while we are waiting to check out. From now on, I will need to leave her at home or have her daddy distract her somehow.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to be very bad about adding stuff to my shopping cart. Now, I can mostly resist the temptation to add candy, magazines and batteries to my cart. I really struggle when I shop at Target. They has some really great stuff at the checkout stand like wipes, hand sanitizer and chapstick.

6. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    If you do like I do, I am one of those people that take a list and go by it while I am shopping. So when I get to the checkout, there is nothing there that I will pick up except a magazine. If I am hungry, I will get a ice cream bar to eat as soon as I get in the car and that way I am not picking up all that stuff that I see at the counter because I already have my little snack in the basket.

7. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I've actually gotten pretty good at avoiding these purchases. They're usually overpriced, so that helps me avoid them. I have a bit of trouble with my kids seeing the candy, but for the most part they know we aren't buying it, so they don't even ask.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I rarely get tempted to buy things that I see at the checkout counter, but when I do buy some items, they're just mostly magazines, candy, or some item that got dumped at the last minute by another shopper before they pay. Usually I pick up food items.

9. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    That's me, when I go into the stores. So all those goodies at the checkout usually stay where they are when I am in line. I leave all that for the people that like to keep adding items to there cart. I leave out the store with what I came there to get with list in hand and that makes me happy.

10. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Never. When I'm in the line-up, my fiancee and I usually laugh at all the junk that is usually at the check-out line. Actually, when I'm in the line-up, it's very rare that I see individuals purchasing a chocolate bar, magazine, chips or any other item that may be there to purchase on a whim.

11. Shell323

Shell323Member

Threads:
    I only do this every once in a while. It's not my worst habit ever. Mostly my problem is filling my shopping cart with multiple low priced items long before I even get to the checkout then being shocked at the total. I'm terrible like that!

12. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I never get tricked by the checkout line. I have them covered because I have my list in hand and if it's not on there, it gets left behind. It's always good to have a list with the items that you are going to purchase and do not pick up one thing more no matter where you are in the store.

13. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, no, that's the worst! At most stores, especially Walmart, those sodas are so overpriced. $1.58 before tax and you can find the same soda at The Dollar Tree for $1. That's why I try my hardest to avoid buying things at check-out, but it's not always possible.

14. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I can walk in any store and not buy anything but what I came to get and that's it. I can't get into buying just to buy so that stuff at the checkout doesn't even faze me when I am checking out. You must have a strong will and mind and you must control it. That way you can go into any store and come on out with what you went there to get without extras.

15. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    The idea isn't limited to grocery stores and the like. Note, even online sites like GoDaddy will hit you up for more stuff while you're checking out. It's called upselling and it's an important way for a seller to make even more money.

Anyway, sometimes I might pick up a candy bar at a grocery store, but only rarely. However, though, I normally will buy some drink when getting gasoline. Nonetheless, it certainly isn't a way to save money. :)

16. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like those things at the check-out counters for they got things I need. I found batteries, candies that my Mom loves, just so much while I'm standing to be checked out that I need at good prices too. I wouldn't buy if it wasn't a good price for I'm on a tight budget. I like those little things that you can get just for a dollar at CVS. CVS got cookies, potato stix, cracker in a plastic barrel just for a dollar!