Chex Mix- Do You Buy It Pre Mixed Or Make Your Own?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Mockingbird • Jan 18, 2015.

1. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    I am having a birthday party tomorrow and went to the store to get some snacks and things for the cake. I wanted to buy Chex Mix snacks already made but I have to admit the bags were sort of expensive. Much more then I remember paying last time so instead I bought the Chex cereal and will make my own mix. I have a couple different recipes. For about the same price I was able to get so much more and I know I have seasoning at home. Why is the premixed so expensive? just because of the convenience?

2. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    I do both, usually. If I'm too lazy to actually make my own, then pre-made ones are fine. They're not that expensive, either.

3. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    In the past I have bought the Chef Mix that is premixed and the price wasn't too bad then. If it's on sale that is the perfect time to buy lots of bags and stock up on them. Making homemade Chef Mix at home is so much fun and I would doi that too but if I didn't have too much time on my hands then I would buy it at the store. Sometimes the Check Mix at the store can be high in price but there are stores like Walmart that have lower prices and I shop there a lot because I really do save money.

4. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I buy it premixed, mainly for the convenience, but I'm personally not too sure how much the cost savings would be buying the unmixed ingredients to mix up yourself. I would imagine you would have to buy fairly large quantities of the ingredients for it to pay off, which might be difficult to finish before they spoil. In addition it would probably be hard to mix it up evenly in large quantities.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm not too into chex mix but I do buy them from time to time, and because I rarely buy it I just buy ones that are premixed for convenience and also because if I bought several bags of different Ypres then I'd have too much and it would just go stale since I wouldn't eat it fast enough. I agree that it's much better to just mix it on your own if you eat it often enough though.

6. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I bought them from the store, and only once in a while I will do my own! Since my kitchen has no counter space, making anything is a big chore. I have to use my dinning room table to spread things out, and the clean up is where I stop :)