Chia Gel

Discussion in Food & Drink started by venusflytrap • Aug 16, 2016.

1. venusflytrap

venusflytrapMember

Threads:
    Not long ago, I discovered the many health benefits of chia seeds, which are very cheap to get where I live. Even though I have seen the seeds around for ages, it never occurred to me to buy them. But that has changed dramatically. I now eat chia gel, which I make by soaking the seeds in water overnight, on a daily basis. These little black seeds are packed with powerful nutrients for the body. They, according to research, can help regulate your blood sugar level, strengthen your bones, provide you with extra protein (which is often needed by vegetarians and vegans), they help to keep the body hydrated, and so much more.
    I eat the gel with coconut yogurt and walnuts for breakfast. But you can eat the seeds, either in gel form or ground, with virtually everything. You can also use it as a natural thickener for delicious home-made sauces.
    How do you eat your chia seeds?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to add them to smoothies. I prefer flaxseed though.. grind'em up, sprinkle it on pretty much everything. As a vegan, I get more than enough protein from plant sources, without even trying.. the seeds I usually go to for the omegas.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried chia seeds. They are not common where I live, other than in specialty health food stores and high end grocery shops. I do love flax seeds, though, and use them whenever possible. I like most seeds, so I'm sure I'd probably enjoy chia seeds, and hopefully one of these days, I will be able to try them. I particularly like seeds on the tops of breads and cookies. I haven't seen many recipes using chia seeds on regular sites, but have seen some on blogs that focus on newer recipes, especially for vegetarians and vegans.