Chicken Feed?

Discussion in Pets started by Waynefire • Aug 3, 2012.

1. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    What is the best place you have found to get some affordable chicken feed? I am just curious because the local feed mill for me sells the food for 15.99 for a 50lb bag. Not sure if this is a good deal or if I am being taken advantage of!

2. Spongecake

SpongecakeNew Member

Threads:
    Do some online comparison shopping if you feel that you're getting ripped off, but unfortunately commercial chicken feed can be expensive. I don't know where you live, but check out farming supply stores. We get our feed from Southern States. Depending on what you're eating, you can also feed chickens your leftovers.

3. FlipKup

FlipKupMember

Threads:
    I do advise the online shopping above all else.

Although local chicken feed can be good, the quality and price can be better compared online. Stores seem to assume that they will be the only retailer with it in supply, so they pump up the price. A quick Google search is your best friend.

4. kristin

kristinNew Member

Threads:
    I would not advise online. Shipping is going to kill you because it is such a heavy item. I pay $25 for 50 pounds. You might want to save by making sure you are not over feeding. Also, there is scratch and then there is the corn mix. The corn mix is more like feeding them dessert so I would make sure you're giving them the right food. They will also eat bugs, so you could supplement their diet with natural protein this way.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'll second @Spongecake@Spongecake's suggestion. Buy the cheapest chicken feed online since it would be cheaper than trying to make it yourself and supplement it with table scraps. Chicken can eat almost everything you eat. So instead of throwing out leftovers let the birds feed . . . it will save you a little bit of money.