Chinese cosmetics, safe?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Rob • Nov 11, 2012.

1. Rob

RobMember

Threads:
    I'm amazed by the low prices of chinese cosmetics on eBay.
    But I'm greatly wondering if it's safe to use such products? I've heard too much of the stories of lead being used in jewelry and children's toys etc.
    Not all chinese products are unsafe, though cosmetic items are a different issue as they are in contact with your skin and supposedly the cosmetics aren't regulated.
    Does someone have experience about chinese cosmetics and if they caused any issues?

2. jose

joseMember

Threads:

China have different standards for there products, they build normal products also they quality products.

3. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I never buy cosmetics that I am unsure of. Quality is important to me, imagine putting stuff on your face and finding that you are allergic to it. When it comes to cosmetics I'd rather buy stuff that is expensive buy good quality than try out cheap stuff.. I am generally wary of Chinese stuff.

4. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I prefer to know what I'm putting on my face as well, so I'd never use something I couldn't check up on. Also, some cheap cosmetics - not necessarily the Chinese ones - either change colour on your skin, or don't last. I use Avon cosmetics, which are more expensive, but I can apply make up in the morning, and it's still looking good 12 hours later, so there's no need for retouching. In the long run, the more expensive stuff can actually work out cheaper.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really use cosmetics, but what I do use I am very careful to make sure I do not have a reaction to the product. So I stick avon and mary kay, they work and do not cause any problems for me.

6. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

I guess it would depend on if you have really sensitive skin i do so i don't use anything i'm not fimilar with

7. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know if Chinese cosmetics are safe or not, but with all the issues in recent years from products coming out of China I would be very skeptical. You may want to spend some time researching the companies and see if there have been any complaints or recalls. The best thing is to get cosmetics that are as natural as possible and from trusted sources, even if you have to pay a little more for them.

8. Neelofar1334

Neelofar1334Active Member

Threads:
    eBay is a place you should be especially wary of. I've done lots of research on differentiating fake cosmetics from the real things, and the unbelievably cheap cosmetics that are usually expensive are the main contenders. I've contemplated buying some of the cosmetics and comparing ingredients to that of the real thing, but since the standards of products are so different for China, they might not list all of the ingredients that were used in the products.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    China is notorious for selling fake stuff and items that have harmful chemicals in it, that's why always do your research and practice caution when buying Chinese made products. You can always determine the quality and authenticity of a product by the price, so if it's too cheap compared to the original one then that's a sure sign that something is wrong.

10. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    I once tried a Chinese facial cream that my aunt was using before for pimples/acne. It was effective to my aunt but not to me. I ended up having flaming hot red face and had to hide inside the house for a week! I went to a dermatologist too and had been given a clear scolding because of what I did..Haha..:p Anyway, after that, I didn't trust any Chinese facial creams and asked for consultations first from a derma what is good for my skin. Mind you, I have Chinese genes! :D

11. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I'm sure the qulity of some of it is fine but the risk isn't something I'm okay with. It's a real concern, for sure.

12. vk kapoor

vk kapoorMember

Threads:
    There has recently been a national recall of certain products made in China. This issue has raised many eyebrows and has some people understandably concerned. The issue takes a more serious tone when you consider how many cosmetics are made in China. Many companies have established their manufacturing companies in China for several reasons, the most important being the availability of cheap labor. Always remember that business owners are primarily motivated by the bottom line. It is widely believed that a lot of manufacturing companies established in China have instructed their employees to ignore certain health risks altogether.

13. mifinfo

mifinfoActive Member

Threads:
    To cosmetics, we must be careful about it, because they are directly daub on our skin. Of course, we do not buy very cheap cosmetics to save money. But sometimes the prices in foreigners' eyes are cheap, in fact, they are suitable China majority of women, we must consider the currency value of different countries.;)

14. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    There is no guarantee for cosmetics, even for famous brand.

15. mifinfo

mifinfoActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, we must consider that different skins fit different cosmetics.;)

16. MaraJadeC

MaraJadeCMember

Threads:
    Hi! I have tried some chinese cosmetic products and they worked for me. But be very careful when buying online (esp ebay). Whether it be chinese, korean, or even US brands, some people will always find ways to make fake counterparts.

17. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't trust North American companies as far as I can throw them either, so I'm kind of in a pickle when it comes to cosmetics lol.. or anything for that matter. Cosmetics are one thing I haven't had the time to make myself. Until then, lesser evil it is.

18. amy005

amy005Active Member

Threads:
    The BB I am using currently is a "Chinese" product. However, I would never buy anything from ebay because many of those items may be expired or not genuine products. Many of the best cosmetics are from Asian countries.