Chinese New Year

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by blues • Feb 19, 2015.

1. blues

bluesMember

Threads:
    Chinese New Year is today! Anyone celebrate it? I went to a semi-party with a few friends and we just pigged out on Chinese food. Along with that, I received a few moon cakes too! I know a few foreign exchange students at my school have gone back to China to celebrate with their families. I also know a few companies that are off-contact until next week due this holiday too :p

2. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I wore some red...? On purpose, I mean. And I called home to my mom to wish her a happy New Year. I'm pretty bummed out to say I did not have Chinese food, nor did I have a party :(

But I'll just go with the idea of a "Lunar festival" that lasts longer and then maybe I can celebrate over the weekend or something. *sigh*

3. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Way back in my country, Chinese New Year is a grand celebration primarily because there's a lot of chinese community there. It is marked with a dragon dance which according to belief will bring good luck. I think most of the chinese beliefs is all about good luck and good fortunes. There is the wearing of something red, the feng shui and even the eating of some sticky food.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a major holiday in Asian countries and a good time for a new start. As it coincided with the New Moon and also Ash Wednesday I hear Catholics were allowed to join their families in the traditional feast rather than fast for the day. I've read the year of the sheep isn't such a great year, but I don't believe too much in the Chinese zodiac as it's too general.

5. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Chinese New Year is a great festival, with family reunion dinners on the eve of the holiday. It's something like Thanksgiving dinner for the Chinese, and it's held in really high regard with many of my Chinese friends going back home for the occasion.

6. roki123

roki123Active Member

Threads:
    I never experience to celebrate the Chinese New Year festival but I heard and read about it that Chinese celebrate the New Year festival with a different customs they had their own traditions about this eve.. I heard that they had 12 different names of year is it right?

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The Chinese community here are definitely celebrating it in Chinatown in Manila, and they do the Dragon Dance and the fireworks there. We never celebrated it, but we have been the recipients of Chinese New Year Rice Cakes over the years given by other people.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We celebrate it every year by going out to a special dinner. It's always very nice and extravagant and we change restaurants each year. We don't really do much apart from that though so we usually just get together as a family and eat until we are so full. I'm guessing it's what people who celebrate thanksgiving feel, since we don't celebrate it where I'm from.

9. roki123

roki123Active Member

Threads:
    Friends, Let me know when Chinese New Year starts? Does it not starts from 1st Jan? Or they also had their own calendar like Muslims?