Chinese restaurants

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Peninha • Mar 1, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not the hugest fan, but I don't mind eating there from time to time, it's relatively cheap, just sometimes I am wondering what I am eating...

What's your opinion on Chinese restaurants?

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I love eating Chinese food! I'd eat it everyday if only it were a little healthier, but honestly I wouldn't really change a thing about it and instead I just choose to eat it a bit less regularly since they usually use MSG in their cooking. I honestly don't know how bad MSG really is for us, but I just choose to be cautious and try to avoid it as much as I can. I usually get it for takeout but I honestly prefer to eat Chinese food right at the restaurant since it's much better to eat when it's freshly cooked.

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    Love it. They have a lot of different spicy dishes which I love!
    It's been ages I haven't been to one though, I really love those all you can eat chinese buffets since there is so much to try. There is one near my apartment that I've been planning on going to.

4. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    OK, what is MSG?

I think Chinese food uses lots of oil. I've been to a Chinese friend's house for dinner and I saw her cook, she put the oil in the wok thing and everything else inside and then we eat all that oil... Pretty fascinating cooking method though!

5. autograph

autographNew Member

Threads:
    I like their delivery service. It is always very fast and it does not really taste that bad either. I once went into an upscale Chinese restaurants and the food there was much more delicious than the ones I have been ordering. The waitress were super friendly and accommodating. The fish was pretty pricey though, the price is calculated by the weight of the fish. I was not paying attention to that and ordered a whole fish; let's just say it kind of burned a hole in my pocket.
    All in all, I would never reject an invitation to a Chinese restaurants. I love their dishes.

6. dan213

dan213New Member

Threads:
    Chinese food is great! It is relatively cheap in comparison to other choices and the food tastes better than fast food burgers. Luckily I married a lady that loves Chinese food as well so we tend to visit a couple times a month.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I enjoy it from time to time, too, although I've noticed that it was worth finding a local place that does Chinese food really well. Some of the local places are okay-ish, but it makes me question whether or not I'll get sick when I eat there, so I just stick with a single place now.

And as for MSG, it's worth researching. My mom is actually rather sensitive to it and she ends up having to sleep after every time she eats it and always has a raging headache, too. So she avoids foods as much as possible with MSG. It's not uncommon for others to be affected like this, too, but they don't know that it's the MSG causing it.

8. DankAllen

DankAllenBanned

Threads:
    I love getting Chinese food. I normally get in on Sunday afternoon's. I always order the Chicken and Broccoli with a side of white rice and plenty of soy sauce. It is so good and really cheap compared to other food places.

9. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never tried chicken and broccoli, I might give it a go. Usually I go for duck or shrimp chop soy or instead rice pasta with just vegetables. I also usually have a chicken soup, they are delicious. The thing is they have around 100 dishes available and I always go for the same 4-5, I think I need to be more adventurous.

10. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    Chinese food is so tasty and delectable to eat and I couldn't say that enough. From the rice to the chow mein to the chicken balls and all that kind of stuff. It's great. I actually have a favorite Chinese restaurant that I love going to and it's called Mandarin. I have fancied that restaurant since I was a kid. Everything there is quality. The food, the ambiance and the customer service is top notch. I can't wait to go again for another go at the food. Yum!

11. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A good Chinese restaurant might be hard to find because some offer poor quality. Even my favorite restaurant, that is near the place where I work, has reasonable prices, good food, but I always leave there with an incredible smell, I suppose they have exhausting air problems, because I always leave there smelling like Chinese food lol.

12. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I know the food isn't necessarily healthy, but I love them in general. One of the main things I like about them is the variety of choices you have. You can still order healthier meals from there and stuff that is fresh and not quite as processed - it just depends on what you get. One of the local Chinese joints near me, for example, offers healthier combo meals that are cooked with no msg, no additional oil or fat, and no additional salt. The items are all fresh and steamed and served with steamed rice and their special garlic sauce which is fat free and MSG free, as well as low in sodium. Some steamed shrimp and steamed veggies is way healthier than a double cheeseburger and fries at some other place. That's not to say I won't cave in from time to time and pig out on some General Tso's chicken, and some egg rolls and a ton of fried rice too though.

13. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Those are good options tom, but not every Chinese restaurant offers them. My wife used to work in the meat distribution area and she knew for a fact that the Chinese restaurants always ordered the lowest possible quality of meat to pay the lowest price, for example.