Chocolate Treats

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Jasmine2015 • Jan 21, 2016.

1. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    OK so many years ago when I was in high school, my teacher was kind enough to make us chocolate dipped pretzels as treats. I love those types of treats. Though have you heard of chocolate drizzled fries? I saw this on TV recently and instantly thought, yuck! Who would put chocolate sauce on fries? Please don't tell me this like a new trend. I also remember seeing people put chocolate on their bacon and then sprinkle it with candies. Maybe it is the salty sweet mix that is supposed to be happening???

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Don't you just love those kind of teachers who see you as a person that they'd treat you! I did have a teacher like that in college and she was a gem. Though not chocolate she treated us with pizzas soooo good it was and unforgettable too! I don't like those bacon dripped with chocolate too. I love nuts and caramel, nugget or chocolate cake. These days though it's sugar free, no or low sodium-cholesterol-saturated fats chocolates for our home. LOL!:D Our home loves chocolate too!!!:)

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I remember as a child, my aunt and uncle would bring us special treats when they'd join us for the holidays. They came over in the evenings, after the holiday meal, which they'd spend with her family. One time it was chocolate covered potato chips, and they were delicious. I hadn't seen them for years until fairly recently, and now it seems everything is being drizzled with chocolate. I haven't tried the bacon/chocolate combination, and really don't have a desire to, nor do the chocolate drizzled french fries sound appetizing to me.

4. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    There is a candy shop down here that puts it on everything! They have chocolate potato chips, chocolate bacon, chocolate fruit, chocolate honey combs, chocolate gummy candy, and so much more. I don't know what the fascination is with putting chocolate on everything, but it is not for me. I just want chocolate plain or on caramel or more chocolate.

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I guess the places that put chocolate on everything go by the philosophy that everything is better with chocolate on it. For the most part, I think they are right! Since chocolate is good for you, especailly dark chocolate it sems like it is one of the items that might be good drizzled on most things.

6. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    My son's teacher also gives them treats on special occasions and the kids really love them. I think those kinds of teachers are really sweet and they are the kind whom a student will always remember throughout his/her lifetime. I love anything that has chocolate in it especially dark chocolate. I don't know but maybe the chocolate dipped fries was cooked in such a way that the taste of the fries and the chocolate would compliment each other. :)

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a funny thread because if my husband sees this I'm sure I will get a reprimand. Our small fridge in the bedroom never runs out of chocolate, big and small, of different brands. He said that I seem like a chocolate collector. I don't know why I am deeply enamored. When we to the Dury Free shop, I never fail to buy a ton. And when after months those chocolates are not consumed, I give it away to the housemaid and to the children in the neighborhood.

8. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    How I wish I was a child in your neighborhood. lol Some people (including me) do have a different level of love for chocolate. My husband already knows what kind of cake to give me during special occasions, anything that's filled with chocolate. I think our kid has inherited the trait of chocolate addiction from me because he seems to fancy them too just like me. His dad would just shake his head and smile at us whenever he sees both of us indulging ourselves with chocolate. :)

9. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I think of America - assuming you are from America, OP - I always think of outrageous food combinations and choices, so the idea of chocolate drizzled fries does not shock or even disgust me. I would not be caught dead eating a box of them, although I might try them just to taste them.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure why anyone is suprised by things like this anymore. Just look at the state of the world's health.. on one side it's fat and addicted because of foods like this... and on the other it's malnourished and dying because of the people making foods like this. I love chocolate (the kind without animal torture, of course lol), but no thanks.. if I truly wanted to try it, I would get some real chocolate, a real potato and make my own. Not just because I value my health, but because I don't trust the quality or the cleanliness of the food in restaurants.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've had chocolate covered potato chips before, and was really not crazy about them at all. Though I do love some chocolate covered pretzel sticks. Chocolate dipped french fries just sounds gross to me. Combining decadent stuff together doesn't always result in something that is good overall. I would be willing to try chocolate covered bacon, but I suspect it wouldn't really wow me. Chocolate with meat isn't entirely far fetched though, since cocoa is typically used in chili's and mole sauces - though it's done in more subtle amounts to accent other flavors.

12. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I love chocolate especially dark chocolate. I really like the Brookside chocolates which are chocolate covered dried fruit. They have Acai Blueberr, Goji Raspberry, Pomegranate. They are fantastic. I haven't tried too many salty sweet combinations with chocolate. I tried chocolate covered pretzels and didn't like it much. The thought of chocolate covered chips doesn't thrill me either. My coworker brought in a bag of white chocolate peppermint popcorn. It was an interesting mix of flavours which I have to admit I couldn't stop eating it. I hear the same company make a dark chocolate popcorn as well.

13. DreekLass

Threads:
    Yes, that is one of the things I dislike the most about ordering food, or buying food from anywhere other than it being prepared by my hands, in my home. I even hate when my mother cooks anything, because her kitchen cleanliness is awful in my opinion. She will drop stuff on the nasty tile kitchen floor, give it a quick swill, and toss it right back into the pot. Her broken nails have gotten into food before. Ugh, I'm going to stop before I start thinking about how to murder her lol. But yeah, restaurant cleanliness is a biggie for me.

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh gawd haha.. terrible isn't it?
    There was a story a while back (still unresolved I think) where an English speaking family went to a Quebec McDonalds where they were shamed or made fun of for not speaking french (so flipping common there, ugh) and when they received their order, they had done something to their fries (stepped on maybe?) and their little boys milkshake made his mouth burn. They had put a cleaning agent in it, but it's not been proven yet.. all McDonalds will say at this point is that it was tampered with and they probably said they were sorry in an email or something. UGH.

My husband worked in fast food for his first jobs and he has sooooo many stories like that one (although, not so arrogant and dangerous as a cleaning agent in the food), but the worst things you can think of, he's probably seen it.. in many cases, people were probably going home and getting sick after their meals and not connecting it to their food at all.

And it's not just restaurants.. packaged foods in grocery stores too. I know a few people who have worked in that industry before and they've had plenty to say about what people have thrown into the huge batches of food or drink before it's packaged up and sent off. Some things coming straight from the human body and I'm not just talking a quick spit lol... GAG!!

So yeah.. even if I wasn't a health spaz, I just couldn't do the restaurant route without supervising lol. As for my packaged food, it would be hard to slip anything past someone who buys this stuff, but the immature always find their way I suppose lol.

15. DreekLass

Threads:
    Oh my gosh, why are you telling me all of this? Lol I already have no faith in humanity as it is, and I already have zero trust for other people, in a world where we are all forced to trust and depend upon one another. I had suspected that these things were going on. So not at all shocked. People are assholes. Men can be specially bad for this, as they do a lot of disgusting shit and think it is funny. It is just for laughs, so to speak. Women are more likely to do it if you have done something to them first. But guys seem like they'd just do it for shits and giggles.

So how long do you think it would take to import some animals and set up my own farm again?

16. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure about those, to be honest LOL I mean chocolate on chips and bacon just sounds strange. Ok, I won't knock until I've tried it, but it's definitely not something I'd go out of my way to try. I much prefer chocolate on its own or on strawberries. But hey, some of the weirdest food combinations work the best :)

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Those are weird food combinations indeed. Chocolate should never be mixed with meat or oily food. I remember a former classmate of mine mixing french fries with her vanilla sundae as we were eating in a fastfood chain, and I also thought that it was a weird food combination, even if it's tolerable to the taste.

18. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not telling you! Unless they'll be pets, not made to work or feed you lol. But I'll swim over if you want help getting a kick ass garden started! :)
    Sorry for the visuals.. misery loves company and all that lol... it just really bothers me that, like you said, we all have to rely on each other.. we have no choice really, and this is the sort of thing we do to each other. It's really bad. Really really bad. People laugh at the skeptics all the time.. all while the proof of at LEAST being untrustworthy is going on in plain site. This is another reason I know ingredients lists mean almost zilch.. not only do they slip other things in or don't slip in what they should, but even the employees add their own "ingredients" and nobody can do anything about it, because your product is given a pass and never looked at again.. you can do anything at all after that. And nobody is looking at the employee but other employees.. employees who would rather join in on the joke than report it with everyone's health in mind.

19. DreekLass

Threads:
    LOL. I should have known better than to ask you that question, huh? Lol. If we had animals producing food for us on our land, it is not like I would treat them poorly. I would not be a big company who needed the animals to perform so that I could make money. It would just be a matter of having the animals produce food to feed us, and I feel like that would be easy to store up. All hugs to the animals and no whipping, I promise :)

Since a young age, I have always sort of resented the fact that we have to rely on others, and are given no choice otherwise. Exactly. For an easy life, or out of simple apathy, many employees would rather just laugh, and wouldn't have the balls to report it. Well, I assume there are some cases where that sort of behavior will be reported. But these people know their co workers and who they will be able to get away with that shit with, and who will report them, I assume.

20. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm sure it gets reported at least once in a while... it's not like we'll hear about it when it happens or they'd be investigated. Or not! Who knows lol. Don't want to interrupt the money machine lol.
    I'm going to start a human farm next to yours LOL. No whipping (unless they ask) just confinement (and for some, squeezing out their bodily fluids) until I take their lives as painlessly as possible, whether they value their lives and their families or not. NOT judging or looking down on "an evil meat eater".. just showing you what you said to a vegan hahaha.