Choose Hand Lotion Over Night Cream To Save Money

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by davos • May 17, 2016.

1. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    A hand lotion is noticeably cheaper than a Night cream, and often they contain the same ingredients. You're spending more money by a product just for being glorified by marketing and not truly superior or different to cheaper alternatives like a hand lotion.

Most lotions and night creams are oil-in-wate emulsions using a substance such as cereatyl alcohol to keep the emulsion together. A wide variety of other ingredients such as fragrances, glycerol, petroleum jelly, dyes,preservatives, proteins and stabilizing agents are commonly added.

Overall, I suggest also to research the ingredients's content of the lotion or cream of choice and compare to cheaper options.

2. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I never thought about doing that. I have done it in the past when I was in college, but now that my skin is getting older I get those thick creams with the works. I do buy natural creams anyway so it might just be worth it to put that coconut lotion on my face too! Thanks for the tip!

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As a beauty writer I wouldn't really advise this unless you had no choice and were on holiday and could only take a tube of cream. In that case it's better to have an all purpose cream, but hand lotions can sometimes be heavier and greasier, so won't be good for oily skin, and if a cream is too heavy it can cause a reaction.

It's fine to use a body or hand lotion on the face for a weekend or a few days, but not long term IMHO. I don't actually think night creams are a good idea; a cream should be able to be used day or night. The difference with day creams is that they have sun filters in, but they aren't actually very effective, but is a marketing way to sell more creams.

4. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    The formulation of hand lotions is not the same with night creams one would put on the face. Perhaps it works for you but it does not guarantee that it will work for other people's skin too. I have oily skin so I need to be careful with what I put on my face. I usually just wash my face with a germicidal soap and freshen up with a toner after. I don't get pimples the way I used to and I would rather keep it this way.

5. HealthAndVitality

HealthAndVitalityMember

Threads:
    Ladies, ladies, ladies, keep it simple, night cream, day cream, they are all a whole load of lies, they are marketing gimmicks. As a holistic practitioner, eat plenty of tomatoes for your skin, and lots of other vegetables with antioxidants, use argan oil if you can some, shear butter and some essential oils, your skin will be so radiant you will make heads turn. People always think that I use special creams for my skin, I certainly do not, I use nature and she responds by giving me a healthy skin and body.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not an expert on the matter, but I think that each cream is made specifically for a certain area, so it would be just appropriate to just buy the cream for the face or the lotion for the body.

7. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    This is certainly something to think about. My only concern in trying lotions not specifically made for the face, is that it might clog pores and cause a person to develop blemishes.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do think you need to consider your skin type and how you value your skin. If you do have issues like flaky patches or acne, then you need a specific cream or lotion. Using a body lotion isn't going to help your skin much.

You don't have to spend excessive amounts, and as for just eating vegetables, well you should, but that isn't going to moisturize your skin when it's dry from the winter winds. Sometimes the skin needs a little extra help. A healthy diet is always advisable, but isn't enough in most cases.

9. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    That's interesting idea but i don't think it applies for everyone. We all have different skin types and condition and using a product that is not designed for that part of your body might backfire on you. To be on the safe side, I'll use the product in which it is meant to be applied to.