Choose Quality Over Quantity

Discussion in Misc & Others started by davos • May 29, 2016.

1. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes cheaper is more expensive. This can apply to food, clothes, electronics and much more. Although it's tempting to choose a cheaper version of an item, sometimes choosing quality over quantity will save you more in the long run. Save up your money and get the best-quality product you can afford, and leverage the cost-per-wear philosophy with more expensive clothing and shoes.

This applies to food, too: Buying some quality organic food can nourish you better and fill you up more than the prepackaged, processed stuff and potentially save you money on health-care expenses in the future, since you're taking good care of yourself. Find a balance that is right for you and choose quality whenever you can.

2. Destiny

DestinyActive Member

Threads:
    I am always willing to pay a little more for a good quailty item. But, personally I most organic food a huge waste of money. At my supermarket ONE organic apple is 75 cents to $1, a regular plan ol' apple is around 20-30 cents. They look and taste exactly the same, only one has a fancy little sticker on it.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pardon me for this about organic because there is a Sunday market here that most farm products were supposedly organic. Naturally they are priced higher than ordinary vegetables. But I wonder why organic vegetables are more expensive so I asked one vendor. He said that organic products have no chemicals. I didn't get the logic. No chemical fertilizer was applied in that farm and yet it is more expensive? But it's all right, at least we are sure that what we are getting is free from chemicals. But how can we be sure of that? The vendor just shrugged his shoulder.

4. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I believe that for certain things. I find with electronics if you buy a quality brand name it will more than likely last longer than a cheaper one. I would rather buy one quality item than have to buy several of a inferior brand. It seems like time and money wasted when you have to rebuy something because it is poorly made. I find this applies to clothing and shoes as well. A well made pair of shoes can last me over 15 years. I save money by not having to purchase a new pair of cheap shoes every year or two. I find if I buy brand name timeless pieces of clothes I can keep them for over 10-15 years and they are still in great shape.

5. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that choosing good quality stuff over inferior quality makes more dollar sense in the long run. Cheap shoes do not last long although at the time one may think that buying the cheaper pair of shoes is saving money. I also have some clothing here which at the time I bought them, I thought I had spent too much money, but those clothes have lasted me quite a long time. In fact, buying cheap brands of anything is not very economical. It may be a saving at the time it is bought, but later on you would end up spending more money since the item would need to be replaced sooner than if it was a better brand which would last you much longer.

6. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I believe in quality over quantity. Many times people buy lower cost items in order to save money. However what may happen in many instances the cheaper item soon goes bad and has to be replaced.The purchaser having been short-changed by the cheaper stuff, now opts for the quality item because of fear that they may lose out again. Therefore, their cost has become higher because of choosing quantity over quality in the first place.

7. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    I've always wanted to test this theory on batteries. I often find myself buying the dirt cheap dollar store batteries that don't last long. However, brand name batteries are very expensive. I am honestly unsure if it's cheaper to buy a ton of generic batteries or a few good brand name batteries. Has anybody tested this before?

8. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    Quality is the most important thing about the product. However, oftentimes it gets associated with a high price. While the good product requires an investment from its manufacturer, it doesn't mean that the price should be huge.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Of course quality over quantity is the better choice, because like what they say, you always get what you pay for. I tend to not scrimp on electronic items, but when it cones to food, you don't need to buy the most expensive one, you can buy the cheapest or middle range one and you'll be fine and get to save money to in the long run.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree. I'm all for saving but I always try and temper my short term decisions with long term vision, such as not buying cheap and unhealthy food so that I can save for now but eventually I'll have to pay more in medical bills in the future because I've been eating too much bad food. Sometimes I try to do this with other things too such as phones, wherein it try to decide whether or not paying a bit more extra for a better phone could be worth it because it will mean I can use it for longer and also not feel too stressed because it lags everytime I do a certain action.

11. Escad

EscadNew Member

Threads:
    I agree, sometime what we must think is the long term impact. This can be the biggest consideration on how yo buy every items. i would like to say it's completely fine to "sacrifice" money at this moment for what you believe it's worth to be sacrificed.

12. ThesePretzels

ThesePretzelsMember

Threads:
    What you don't eat cheap ramen every meal? Yeah everything in moderation, but the whole point of "avoiding" quality is realizing that you can't afford it right? I admit I can't always afford quality, hence me being stuck with a car that has questionable gas mileage. Oh and than there's the whole healthy( i.e. quality) food is too expensive myth, my shopping trips frugality positively correlates with my success in avoiding junk food. Anecdotal evidence, sure but at least fulfilled the scientific method and ran the numbers.

13. HealthAndVitality

HealthAndVitalityMember

Threads:
    Of course, quality will beat quantity any day. For example, what is the point of having ten cheap winter coats that cannot last a week nor keep you warm? I have a winter coat that has stood the test of time. It is very warm, durable, comfortable, cool and it does a great job. It was expensive but I have not needed to replace in years, saving time and money.

14. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Quality over quantity makes mores sense. What's the point of having many things that's mediocre in quality. If you can afford it, then go for the better/best quality, it will be worth the price and will be of use to you for a long time.

15. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When buying food expensive isn't necessarily healthier. You can buy food labeled organic which actually isn't organic. As there are no guarantees that food you'll be buying is organic you should try to grow your own veggies and if possible raise some animals for meat. You'd not only save money but also eat healthier than most people who buy everything they eat from stores.

16. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I always try to weigh up whether or not it would be better to spend a little more money on something in the long term if it is going to last longer. Sometimes it is much better to buy a higher priced item if it means that you wouldn't have to pay for another one as quickly - but we never really know which way it's going to go, so sometimes it is a little bit of a gamble really.