Choosing To Live In a Place Where You Can Save Money?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Sep 11, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not talking about avoiding places where only wealthy folks live [ Beverly Park]. Nah.

When choosing a place to live, if you have family it's always best to choose a place where there are a number of good public schools. Private schools can be really expensive so if you live where there are good public schools you can sure that your kids are getting good [free] education.

What made you choose the neighborhood where you live now?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still live with my parents, so I can't say that I have chosen this house or this village to live in, but I have to say that they made a good choice, because we are near most malls, schools, and other establishments, plus there are lots of offices near our place, so looking for a job is not a problem as well.

3. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Oh the choice of neighbors, always the hard one to pick. Well for me, I'm not really concerned of the schools since I live alone so it's way out of my concern but what I look for is a place where it's peaceful, quite and the neighbors are not annoying.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    But how will you tell if the neighbors are good or bad unless you live in there for a little while?

The only place which you can be sure will be quiet and probably peaceful is a place where many elderly people live. They normally don't bother visiting neighbors because all they want is to rest and be left alone.

5. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    I choose to live in areas that meet my budget but are away from an troublesome spots. I have had very few problems over the years, thankfully. To further save money I try to live close enough to shops and if anything on the outskirts of large cities rather than in the city. I also like to have public transport options available which can further save money.

6. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I live in the middle of the city. I chose this location because I wanted to live in a high rise and I wanted a doorman, this criteria somewhat limited my options. The great thing is I can walk almost anywhere, have plenty of restaurants, museums and parks within a few blocks of my building. Also, my neighborhood is safe and almost always busy so I don't ever feel uncomfortable if I have to run out late at night for something. There are plenty of less expensive places to live but for now I can afford this apartment and am willing to pay for safety and location.

7. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have lived with friends and family in the past to save money when I was saving for a particular purpose. It wasn't a sacrifice for me, or involved with many difficulties, as I enjoyed living with them. I stayed with my boyfriend's family for nearly a year and had a great time. I am flexible and can adjust to all kinds of circumstances, as long as I have a quiet and airy room that is filled with plenty of light.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I chose my apartment because it's 2 blocks from my daughter's school, 4 blocks from my bank, 4 blocks from the Walmart where I do my food shopping, walking distance from the post office where I ship my ebay items daily, and is located near a dog park for my dog. Since I don't drive at all, I chose a location where I could walk to everything. That saves me money on public transportation, and since I'm close to the grocery store, I don't make expensive trips to a convenience store where food is marked up.

9. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    This makes so much sense, it sounds like you have an apartment in a great location! I think convenience to locations you frequent and "walkability" are two of the biggest factors aside from affordability that impact people's decisions with regard to where to live.

10. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    We moved to Florida about 10 years ago and made the decision because we actually couldn't afford to live in NY any longer. The taxes were so incredibly high that with our monthly bills and taxes we were just getting by. I am a stay at home mom and have been since our kids were born. We were faced with the decision of me having to go back to work and put our children in daycare. That was unacceptable to us and something we never wanted to do. We researched different areas and found places that were more economical to live. We found the perfect place. One that meets our needs and has everything our family needs.

It was a scary decision at the time but one that we are so happy we made!
    Danyel :)