Chores For Kids To Earn Pocket Money

Discussion in Misc & Others started by littlewitch66 • Aug 21, 2017.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    Do you make your kids do chores to earn their pocket money? I am testing this out on my granddaughter and so far it is working well. She is actually looking for things to do so she can earn, simple things like washing up or tidying Her Room. Some people give an allotted weekly amount to their children but they don't have to earn it.

Do you think giving them a small amount each time they do something you ask is a good way of teaching them the value of money or is giving them a set amount and then not allowing them any more if they spend it an easier option?

2. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    [Q="littlewitch66, post: 254560, member: 21110"]Do you make your kids do chores to earn their pocket money? I am testing this out on my granddaughter and so far it is working well. She is actually looking for things to do so she can earn, simple things like washing up or tidying her room. Some people give an allotted weekly amount to their children but they don't have to earn it.

Do you think giving them a small amount each time they do something you ask is a good way of teaching them the value of money or is giving them a set amount and then not allowing them any more if they spend it an easier option?[/QUOTE]

Even though you have a good intentions in what you are doing trying to get her to be hard working but I would kick against you making it a continuous habit because kids understanding differs from adult. It may get twisted in her that if she is not getting paid she won't have to do the house choir.

I would advice, even if you are giving her pocket money don't make it seem to her that it's because of the house choirs done but rather you want her to have a pocket money. Better still you can take her out to a park to have fun and play during weekends if she behaves well during the weekdays.

Inducing kids with money at early age is not a good way to bringing them up in my humble opinion.

3. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    I am quite in support of this brilliant idea. This will allow them to learn to fend for themselves from an early age, which will transition to a very hard working nation builder in the near future. It will also help them to love work, because incentives such as these are good morale builders. Guess what! It's also the perfect opportunity to teach them about tax.

4. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    @littlewitch66@littlewitch66 While I was growing with my siblings, our parents used that a lot on us, though not in a clear way. Mum will always give any of us that works well in the house during weekends money to buy whatever he/she wants. dad will always buy new shorts and clothes for the most obedient member of the house among the kids, and that really motivated everyone to be active in doing house chores so as to win the hearts of our parents.

So I think it is really a good way to have a home where the kids are aware that one needs to work to earn and this even helps while growing up especially in colleges. in colleges, these set of people is always willing to do part-time jobs somewhere just to increase their income daily.

#4Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2017
  5. jakub

jakubMember

Threads:
    Giving chores to children in exchange of money is a great way to help them develop their personalities as well as become more disciplined and self aware.

6. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    That is good. The kids are learning and could appreciate the real value of working than relying from their parents their allowances for the week. This would instill the value of finding a job for a penny. When they grow up, they would no longer asking for money for they know how to get it and they know how to work.

7. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I used to get a weekly allowance and I had a specific set of chores to do weekly. I would like to do that with my kids but I just don't have the extra money to do that. I think paying them for chores make them feel as though they don't have to do the chores if they don't get paid. If they help grandma with things around her house, she pays them for their work. I think an allowance is a way of teaching them to save money and learn to decide what they should spend their money on, but I don't really think that they should get paid to do chores. Chores allow them to become self sufficient and learn what they need to know to be able to live on their own. As adults, we don't get paid for chores so I don't think kids should learn to get paid for chores.

8. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    It's great to get different views on this topic. I am just trying it out at the moment and so far it seems to be working well. I don't know how well it will work during the teenage years, I might have to think again then, but for the time being I shall carry on.

9. zolzarr

zolzarrMember

Threads:
    I believe this is a good idea for kids to learn how to do chores properly. They should only be given the money upon completion of household chores in a proper manner. Besides that, we can teach them on learning to save their money at an early age too.

10. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When we were kids, my grandma would call us to clean the floor of her living room. I would sweep and wax it then my brother would scrub it bright. It was hard work but it’s worth the snack and the money afterwards. We do that chore every weekend so we have extra money for school. Another experience is the tutoring of my cousins. My aunt would call me for the assignment of her 2 grade school children. It’s all about math and English which I am good at. Another extra money for me.

11. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I think that is a great idea. When we were kids, we didn't get money for doing chores like sweeping the floor, or doing the dishes, but we did get money for chores like washing the family car (our biggest money earner), giving our dad a massage, cleaning and shining our dad's shoes, etc. This only happened during summer vacations when we don't get pocket money. Each task would have a different rate.We would bill our dad at the end of the week by listing down the chores we have accomplished. It taught us the value of hard work and trained us to work for what we want.