Christmas Traditions?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by kitchencatlover • Sep 2, 2014.

1. kitchencatlover

kitchencatloverMember

Threads:
    This Christmas is our first as a family and we were talking about traditions we would like to have like:
    New pajamas on Christmas Eve and to open one present that night.
    Making cookies.
    Hanging stockings...etc.
    What are some of your family traditions you do every year?

2. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Family reunions is one Christmas tradition that we do every year. We always find a way to get together with the whole family (and some selected friends), eat together, exchange gifts, play parlor games, etc.. Going to midnight masses is also a yearly tradition aside from the reunions. It's really a happy season but also an expensive one. :D

3. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    We gather the whole family at my grandmother's house, I think we're up to 15 people now :) it was rough when we were 13 because my grandmother refused to sit down if the total was 13 people, some superstition.
    When presents-time comes around the children have to go into one of the bedrooms because they can't see Santa, in truth the adults are just placing the presents on everyone's shoes ( oh yes you need to take your shoes off so everyone knows where to place your presents).

4. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Well know it is just me and my dad so we just open our presents at about 12pm and then have Christmas dinner and watch Christmas telly for the rrest of the day. But when I was a kid we had nice traditions:

- You were allowed to open one of the small presents on the evening of Christmas Eve (we would always rush for the big ones!)
    - We would put stockings up before heading to bed on Christmas Eve.
    - No getting up to open presents until at least 6am and then only after our mother had drank her cup of tea.
    - No going out on Christmas Day, whether it was to the shop, to the pub or to play.

5. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    This tradition might seem a bit weird, but my family always has a family reunion on Christmas eve and then wait until it's midnight to have a meal together. After we're done with that we open our presents, have a good time and then go to sleep. It's a little bit different than what I've heard about generally, but it's very fun and a good excuse to get the family together.

6. kitchencatlover

kitchencatloverMember

Threads:
    Very nice traditions. I love that for everyone it's a chance to be with your family. That is the most important part of Christmas after all, love. Even though it's 3 months away I wish all of you a wonderful Christmas.

7. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's wonderfully creative that you and your family have chosen to instill some new traditions into Christmas! It makes it all the more special to each and every one of you when something like this is done, because you'll know that it wasn't the "common practice" alone that you went along with.
    And I'm not knocking tradition. There are some awesome things that I know I've seen done as I have experienced them over the years.
    What I've grown used to, and absolutely love is that near to Christmas time (starting from as early as October), I've been warmed by the refreshing melody of Christmas carols and songs that have greeted my ears via the radio stations that so choose to broadcast.
    I also have come to love and appreciate a good dose of eggnog when the Christmas "feels" come a knockin'.
    And Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without presents! There was always an eager anticipation that accompanied every individual's process of unwrapping all the carefully done wrapping paper (Now, this anxiety had been perpetuated by the fact that we all had to wake up so early to get to church for the special Christmas service!) but I won't knock it, for that very service has become one of my most celebrated Christmas traditions.
    I must also say that I love Christmas because of the beautiful Nativity Scenes and other decorations that would fill my block! It was as though every neighbor was in on a lawn-decorating contest that, somehow, me and my family didn't quite catch wind of.
    Well, all I can say is that I'm, without a doubt, looking forward to this year's CHRISTMAS!

8. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    Here are some of our Christmas traditions each year:
    • Decorate the entire house (inside and out) in one day. It usually takes up the majority of the day.
    • Put up and decorate a Christmas tree.
    • Make Christmas cookies and/or Christmas candy to share with family members and friends.
    • Watch Christmas movies, such as It's a Wonderful Life, Christmas Vacation, Charlie Brown's Christmas, Scrooged, A Christmas Carol, A Christmas Story, etc.
    • Host Christmas family gatherings at our house and exchange gifts with family members.
    • Attend family gatherings at other relative's homes.
    • Drive around and look at Christmas lights in the evening.
    • Attend mass as a family.
    • Every year we pick out or make one new Christmas tree ornament, in the shape of a snowflake. We have several beautiful snowflake ornaments on our tree now.

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My family traditions:

• We celebrate our Christmas on Christmas eve, Scandinavian style
    • My dad doesn't usually cook, but makes gorgeous Danish Christmas dinner with all the trimmings
    • We have pork more than anything, sometimes pork and turkey/goose
    • We swap presents on the day
    • As most other people around us don't celebrate Christmas on the 24th, we often join my mum's sister's family on the 25th for a huge Christmas bash, starting with a huge bbq followed by all night dancing and singing
    It almost always happens like this, and is especially great when we're all there, with everyone having coming in from across the globe.

10. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As we don't celebrate Christmas in the same way or even on the same dates as other western countries where I live and even when we do its not celebrated in a commercial way - but is a low key family orientated affair with all the festivities centered around the children - that doesn't involve having days of large feasts, receiving lots of gifts or decorating homes with Christmas trees, lights or any other kind of decoration.

Our Christmas traditions are really very simple and generally start with the celebration of the beginning of the Christmas season on

December 10 - which is the day when town squares are decorated with elaborate Bethlehem Scenes - made by the local children - and when the very subtle Christmas lighting - normally in the form of snowflakes or stars - is switched on.

As its also the day when Christmas shopping traditionally starts - this is normally celebrated with the arrival of Medieval Christmas Markets in most towns and villages - which as the stall holders - selling artisan Christmas products from years gone by - are all dressed in medieval Christmas attire really adds to the festive atmosphere - in the lead up to

December 24 - the evening of which is celebrated as Christmas here - with families gathering together to eat, drink and be merry - over a slightly more elaborate meal than normal - its also now become a tradition for children to receive a gift on this night - which they open when the clock strikes midnight.

December 25 - is a quiet family day where nothing much happens - other than chatting, going for a walk and eating the left overs from the previous night.

December 26 - everything is back to normal until early January - the latter of which is when the majority of children receive their Christmas gifts and is celebrated with two days of carnival like processions specifically for the little ones.

11. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    We have simple traditions in the family. During the holidays, we have gatherings in our ancestral house and prepare a feast for everyone, sometimes we even invite neighbors and close friends. There also performances like dancing and singing and the participants will win gifts and prizes. Next, the exchanging of gifts will be the main event, and everyone is just so excited to receive one from each other. Lastly, games will be played both for the children and adults. Prizes in cash or in kind are given and everyone participates because sometimes the prizes are extravagant. The celebration does not stop there because there will be more gatherings for the coming days until the new year holidays.