Chrome OS

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Gelsemium • Dec 11, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Recently I came across Chrome OS, I had an old laptop around The House that I could not use and I installed it Chrome OS, surprise surprise, it's not working at a decent speed, so basically I gained a new computer. :) Anyone tried Chrome OS? What's your opinion about it?

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's absolutely no way you installed Chrome OS on anything - it's not possible at this point. The only thing you could have done that would get you anything close to Chrome OS is installing Chromium OS, which Chrome OS is partially based upon. There are protocols within Chrome OS that can't be replicated by even the most skilled modders, and Google only provides the internals of Chrome OS to manufacturers. However, Chromium OS is currently free and easy enough to install. So what's actually running on your machine?

3. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Chrome OS is not really worth the effort if you want to be honest. Most programs don't even support it or recognize it yet as a operating system. Compatibility is a big issue and the fact that it under performs even when it is optimized just for this OS speaks volumes.

4. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    Well he might have installed a fork of Chrome OS, I remember someone offering "Chrome OS Vanilla" or something like that which he updated himself about a year ago. Let me check if it's still around... It is, but hasn't been touched in a really really long time. So yeah whatever you installed on your computer isn't Chrome OS.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have Chrome OS on my Chromebook. I don't think it's available to the public. Perhaps you meant Chromium which is open source. I have a couple of serious computer geek friends who use it on their laptops. They love it.

I happen to really like my Chromebook. Don't miss Windows much.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ok, since at this time Chrome and Chromium are not that popular yet, do you guys think that running one will make it immune to keyloggers? Since a bit of research suggests that even Ubuntu and Linux can be vulnerable to keyloggers custom-made for them.

7. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Good question. You'd probably be a little safer running Chromium, and Chrome OS especially, but I doubt you'd be invulnerable to keyloggers. Someone out there always has a way around things, even when we're talking about a relatively obscure OS. I'd choose Chrome OS over Chromium for the security, but then you're restricted by the restrictions of a Chromebook, which not everyone is willing to deal with.

8. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    Well it's not a bit of research, it's true. Viruses can be made for any OS, including Linux. It's just that to the average thief, they have a better chance of profiting off the vulnerabilities of Windows. There are certainly a few viruses for Linux/Ubuntu out there, and as it gets more popular there will be many more, just look at Android.

9. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is true Sly, I've always heard that there were no viruses for Mac OS, but in fact there are. I don't know if the same is also true for Chrome OS, but so far I didn't have that issue. More, for my needs is the perfect OS because basically I am just on the net.