Chromebooks Are Worth It

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by rz3300 • Jan 16, 2016.

1. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I have gone for a couple years now operating with a Chromebook and I have come to the conclusion that they are worth it. For three hundred dollars you get everything that you can get with a laptop, for practical purposes at least, and it is a convenient and little thing to carry around. I was sick of lugging around a bigger laptop and this was the answer to me.

If you are looking to save some money or in the market for a cheaper alternative, this is a good way to look.

What about anyone else? Has anyone had any negative experiences with Chromebooks?

2. chanboy

chanboyNew Member

Threads:
    There are only positive things to say about the Chromebooks. I've used one for the past year for school and loved it. For only $200, it fits my needs perfectly for a student. It is small and compact and can easily fit in my bag. I would definitely recommend a Chromebook for people who is on the go.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My ex has a chromebook. He does really like it, but has had it less than a year, and had to take it in for repair. I think the dog damaged the screen or something, so I am not sure that it is extremely durable. I think it would be fun to experiment with, however, at this point in time, I think I have enough electronic devices. I think I would prefer a thinkpad to a chromebook...I love the one I have.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I'm in the market for a laptop and need to know more about different kinds of computers. I will return to find out more so I can make the right decision when I buy my computer. I'm older so I need a light one that I can write books on easily!:)

5. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I was just looking around about chromebooks. It is nice to see people really enjoy them. We don't have a computer in my house but we have tablets and smartphones. I'm really looking forward to buying some type of computer for myself. I'm going to save up all I can while I keep looking for a computer.

6. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have one yet but based on your nice reviews about the chromebook, I guess I will look into it and see if it has the specs that I'm looking for. Now in terms of durability, I don't think that any electronics would still function properly after being played on by a dog so it gets a pass for me in the durability department. What I'm worried is if it's counterpart to the Microsoft office works better, or at least can stand up to the quality of Microsoft's suite. I've been using Microsoft office for my entire life and I've gotten used to it so if I can't have a suite that is at least at the same level of quality with Microsoft, I don't switch brands.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've been thinking of getting a Chromebook because I need a new laptop I can get for cheap while still being sleek and easy to transport but sadly the big hindrance for me is that I have a lot of programs I need and I think Chromebooks are geared more for casual users. If I knew I could use Photoshop and after effects as well as my music editing programs I'd be more up for it and I know there are versions of it on the App Store but I am paranoid that they wouldn't be sufficient.

8. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Well, any device is worth it if it fits your needs. For me I like to have something that can handle heavy usage. That heavy usage is from me using it and from the task I need the computer for. Though, for the cheap you can get one of these for pure internet usage which makes it a steal.

9. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    I have been hearing great things about Chromebooks lately. First of all, they are fast as hell. Second of all, I realize that I don't do anything without Google. Lastly, I want to get away from Microsoft Windows and Os X, but don't want to go for linux either. Chromebooks fit the bill. I am also going to get one for my mum, 'coz she loves computers, but she hates desktops and laptops.

10. sharatharadhya

sharatharadhyaMember

Threads:
    I respect your view. But if you were to do a bit more than just browsing and word processing, You might want to get something more mainstream. You can instead buy an 8-inch windows tablet and run full Windows 10 desktop apps. You can spend around $200 and get a full Windows Laptop from HP or ASUS. I don't hate Chromebooks, but buying a Windows PC is more practical.

11. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I have Chromebooks in my classroom which students use everyday. They definitely are built well, at least the ones my school purchased. I've had them for over a year with no problems. They are fantastic for surfing the web, and the students all have google accounts so they use the email, docs, slideshow,etc. We even made videos using a free app called We Video. I was really impressed with how user friendly the app was. I was used to using WIndows Movie Maker and this is even more kids friendly. The Chromebooks are light, fast and great for everyday use. The price is right as well. Can't beat it, for under $300.

12. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, plus you can use all the amazing chrome extensions that make your work even more convenient. You can even use android apps. Google is really elbowing out MS at that range. Plus, you don't have to wait for the annoying boot screen with a chromebook, you just open it and its on :)

13. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ok, this is great news LOL! Really, I'm an Apple fan when it comes to computer devices, but sometimes money is very much on the tight side. Rather than go without (in case of an emergency), I've often wondered what the best alternative would be. But my husband can be a real snob when it comes to computers.Personally, if I didn't have enough money to replace my MacBook, I wouldn't mind something else, as long as I knew it was durable and dependable. So thanks everyone for all your comments :)

14. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a Chromebook and I just love it. I bought it when I didn't have much money, but needed a new laptop. I don't regret that purchase. A couple of months ago, I purchased a Windows 8.1 which automatically upgraded to Windows 10. I like the laptop, but I use my Chromebook for most of my work.

15. hg088

hg088New Member

Threads:
    Definitely. I bough mine a couple of years ago. It was the 200$ arm chromebook. The display does lack quality but it's decent. Since it has an arm processor it doesn't need a fan, this means the laptop is super thin and light. I use it mostly for browsing and for doing ssh into my linux boxes.
    If you need to things more complicated besides just browsing this is where I think the ChromeOS is kind of lacking. Although it's quite fast and secure, it's not a fully featured linux os.
    So if all you need is just browsing the internet it's a pretty good deal.

16. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been on the fence about getting one of these. While the price tag may be appealing, they seem far too limited for what I would want to do with them. An even bigger concern for me is how quickly one of these will become outdated. Google has been putting out various models of these over the years from different manufacturers, but what is the average life span of one of these devices. Does Google even regularly update the operating system in them or do they treat them like throwaway devices, similar to what is happening to smartphones these days?

I bought my most recent laptop back in Spring of 2012 - it's a Lenovo, and it's still serving me just fine. I have Windows 10 on it now, it runs smooth, boots up fast, and even though I've already had it 4 years, I can easily get another 2 more years out of it at this rate, before I even need to start looking for another laptop. Plus, when I am on the road, and in a pinch, I can pull up programs like Photoshop or Illustrator to make some changes to my web sites - something I wouldn't be able to do with a Chromebook.

The main reason I am a little bit interested in getting a Chromebook though is it's compact lightweight size, and I'm also wondering that since it's such a more limited OS, if they might perhaps have a better battery life. My current laptop will only last me about 2 hours on battery alone, if I am trying to get some work done on it. It would be appealing to me to have something lighter and more battery efficient that I could comfortably take with me to write content for my web sites, without having to worry about running out of juice too fast.