Cinema discounts

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Strykstar • Jul 7, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Do you have any discounts when you go to the movies?
    I get a small discount because of my car insurance, I think it's a pretty weird association that they made but I have no problem taking advantage, I end up paying about 25% less than I would otherwise.
    Do you have any such deals?

2. Sam Tarly

Sam TarlyMember

Threads:
    I don't get discounts from anyone per say, but at most AMC movie theaters you can go to movies half price if you get there in the morning before noon. I know it sounds like a pain to get up early to watch a movie, but this has many great thing going for it besides the reduced movie ticket, and the most important one is that the movie theater is practically empty! You can get the best seats and not have that one tall guy sitting in front of you and blocking your view, or a baby bawling in the corner lol.

3. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    That sounds like an interesting approach, I've never thought about going to the movies in the morning.
    In fact I'm pretty sure that here they only only in the morning on the weekends, since no one ever went during week mornings anyway, I doubt they would do discounts on the weekend.

4. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I wish I had a discount when I go to the movies. The only time I get a discount is when I go on Wednesdays or Thursdays during the first showing in the afternoon. The theatre always let adults pay only $4.00 to get in. Other than this example, I can't think of any location around me that offers cinema discounts.

5. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    That is interesting, no I do not get a discount. Sometimes I get a gift card and use that, but that isn't the same. The only way I can save money is going during matinee. Some places the tickets are only 3-5 dollars and I love it. Plus, if you go during the week there are hardly ever people there. Unless it is during the summer, then there are always people there.

6. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    yea, the only discounts I really get are through going to matinee shows, which I rarely take advantage. My friends and I often go to midnight premieres a lot of the time and I don't really have much time during the day to go to the movies.

I also had the option to get movie discounts as a reward program from my insurance, but chose to get something else instead. While I go to the movies a decent amount, just felt it really wasn't worth it to me.

7. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    I get my student discount since, well I'm a student? My NUS card-National Union of Students-runs out a year after my course is up, so that's November of this year. However, I'll still be a masters student by that time, so I'll just buy a new card, since I'll still be part of the Union. And then I also plan on doing a PhD, which gets me another NUS card for four to seven years or so.

Best of all, the university I'm at now doesn't make us show any date for when our course ends on our student ID, which is what most cinemas ask for. Which means even if I wasn't a student, thanks to this card I can pretend to be for as long as I want!

8. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    The Cinema in my area offer discounts if you come to the movies before 5 pm you get to pay half price. They also offer an app that you can download to be scan at the door for discounts and this also includes drinks and popcorn or any refreshments.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I get a senior citizen discount when ever I go to the movies. I let age come before beauty just this once. I don't go to the movies often but when I do it is nice to get a little something off.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have received some coupons along with my store purchase that allow me to have a little discount or freebie when I go to the movies, but that's just about it. I rarely go to the movies too nowadays, so it really won't make a dent in my budget if I am eligible to get a cinema discount.

11. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    My mall has started up a new deal, lasting at least for the Summer, when you buy two meals at the food court, you get a free movie ticket.
    I think it's a great idea, they get the food sales, and then since it's two people, one of the people will have to buy another ticket so both can go to the theater.

12. unstrung

unstrungMember

Threads:
    My girlfriend scores free tickets for movies all the time. Seriously. ALL. THE. TIME.

How does she do this, you ask? Well, there are a number of companies online who do advance screenings of films that are coming out, and will give away tickets for people to watch them. These advance screenings are also what the film critics go to, so when you see quotes like "Riveting!" or "[Some Actor]'s best performance this decade!" in the ads for a movie, the advance screenings are where those quotes came from. One web site to check out is Gofobo (for USA only if I'm not mistaken), but there are a bunch of others. You put in your zip code, it tells you what screenings are available, and from there it is first come first serve.

There are some down sides to this, of course - when you arrive at the theatre, you will have to wait in line for a considerable amount of time, and if you are among the last to arrive, there is a chance that you will not be able to get in (they give away more tickets than the amount of available seating in an effort to ensure that the room is full). But, on the upside, free movie! Plus, from time to time they also give away movie swag, posters or keychains or whatever.

I mentioned one place (Gofobo) to check out online, but there are many - just search for "free movie tickets" and/or "advance screenings", and free movies shall be your reward :)