Cleaning With Vinegar

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Athenagdlyt • Apr 16, 2014.

1. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Aside from culinary uses, vinegar can also be used for cleaning. White vinegar, when added to the detergent for cleaning shower curtains can slow down the growth of molds and mildew. My grandmother also used vinegar to remove the water stains from drinking glasses and crystals. In what other ways do you use vinegar for household cleaning?

2. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use white vinegar for general purpose cleaning around the house. If it is in a spray bottle, it can be sprayed on common houshold mold, and it will kill the mold. I also put a bit in the hot water tank of my carpet cleaner, it cleans better than using any of the soap products that come with the shampooer; and it also disinfects and deodorizes the carpet as it cleans it.
    If you have a clogged drain in the sink, pour some baking soda down the drain, then pour vinegar down the drain, and quickly plug the drain. The vinegar and baking soda will mix and expand, and will push the clog on down the drain and unplug it.
    Vinegar is also an excellent cleaner for anything copper. Just dip a penny into it, and watch it change color to a bright copper color instantly ! Vinegar will easily clean and restore copper-bottom cooking ware, too.

3. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, I had never known about using vinegar as a cleaner! Thanks for that tidbit of valuable info, I will have to try it now.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Vinegar and water is a great carpet cleaner. It will also remove my spots in the carpet. It also removed built-up soap scum on shower curtains. I love vinegar as a cleaner. I have tried to get my friends to use vinegar, but they can't get past the smell.

5. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I use vinegar in my coffee maker and on my windows for cleaning. You need to rinse the coffee maker well afterwards but it does do a good job. As for the windows, vinegar leaves then clean and streak free - but you need to air out the place afterwards.

Hapyflowerlady: just so you know, vinegar is an acid and reacts with metals - which is why a penny gets shiny as a very thing surface is being corroded off. I would not recommend vinegar for cleaning metals. Oven cleaners are strong bases and they do not react with most metals so they are safer for that purpose.

6. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I use vinegar in alot of things in and around my home. I make my own fabric softener and vinegar is the main ingredient. I make my own window cleaner as well as other cleaners. Vinegar has multiple uses outside the food industry.

7. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    That sounds a little nasty to me.

What ever cleaning properties that white vinegar has, will not outweigh the smell that it will put in your clothes. Vinegar really stinks, and personally do not want to smell that way. So, i am going to have to pass o this idea.

I will stay with Bleach, and Detergent.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My mom and grandma use vinegar to clean as well. I use a little bit of vinegar to clean my carpet. I mix it with water and a carpet cleaner. I don't know how it actually works honestly, and there aren't that many reviews and comments online proving how vinegar cleans and removes germs, I wish there was more information out there about that.

9. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    True, you can definitely clean a burnt pan or pot with some vinegar. However, I wonder if that's the cheapest method. Anyway, note that dishwashing soap just doesn't seem to do the job. Does anyone know something else that cleans a pan or pot either cheaply or in a more expensive way?

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    All has mentioned what I do with my white vinegar mixed with water in a spray bottle I have for my disinfectant and cleaner for our home. Thanks for the new tips that I'll use my mixture for too. I like my white vinegar mixture one part white vinegar and one part water I have in my spray bottle. This mixture keeps cock roaches and ants away too. Living in Hawaii this mixture is a must have!

11. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    This post is quite timely. I see my dad use vinegar to clean his mugs and bowls lately, because they have some hard to remove liquid stains. I, on the other hand, use bleach to clean plates that have been stained due to constant use. I know vinegar is quite effective in removing stubborn stains, although I have yet to try it. Also, muriatic acid, the concentrated one, seems effective in removing rust from a white or khaki shirt that can't be removed by bleach.

12. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's great for cleaning coffee pots and windows and can be used in stain removal. Some people use it as an astringent and even a conditioner of sorts for hair. I once wrote an article on 50 ways to use vinegar, and I think there are probably even more ways to use it. It is very versatile.

13. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can never be wrong with kitchen vinegar, that is the white one, and also with the cane vinegar, that is the brown in color. Vinegar is good for cleaning bathroom tiles. It not only removes stains but also eradicates lingering odor although you have to wash it thoroughly afterwards. Vinegar is also good for insect bites. Apply it on the affected area and the itch or pain will be gone after 5 minutes. The brown vinegar is a good eradicator of bedbugs which we just did last week. We sprayed brown vinegar on our furnitures to kill the bedbugs hiding underneath.

14. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I've read a few articles on this, and a lot of people have already given me this tip to save on cleaning products. I don't know exactly why, but I have not tried it yet (I think it's because I always forget this function :D... I only remember the vinegar when I have to cook something specific :p).

15. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    The only thing I used vinegar for, was to clean out my coffee maker and then it would drip coffee a lot better the next time around, but you have to run some water through a couple more times to really get the taste out of it. Other uses for vinegar are for half- vinegar and half-water and then clean and freshen up your fridge-clean the shelves and walls with it really good. You can also pour a cup or more of diluted vinegar in the toilet bowl and let it sit a few hours-scrub with well with a toilet brush and flush down.

16. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I've used it for cleaning my windows and it makes them sparkle. It can also be used as a head lice deterrent. Rinsing the hair after shampooing can actually kill the lice eggs although it doesn't kill the live lice. You have to comb them out.

17. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I love using vinegar for cleaning purposes and I like how I replaced bleach with it. Bleach was too strong and sometimes it made it difficult for me to breath, yes vinegar also has a strong smell but it doesn't have chemicals. I use vinegar to clean my windows and faucets and make them shiney. I also add a bit of it to stained clothes and that helps the stain soften to get rid of it while washing it.

18. sommax

sommaxMember

Threads:
    I have used vinegar so many times in cleaning especially my window glasses or toilet bowl. It unexceptionally makes them look newer and shiny.