Cleaning without chemicals - green AND cheap!

Discussion in Home & Garden started by professionaltightwad • Aug 1, 2012.

1. professionaltightwad

professionaltightwadMember

Threads:
    Sometimes going green around The House can be expensive, can't it? One place that can help you green up your home turns out to be super cheap and healthier for your family - cleaning supplies. Have you ever looked up some of the chemicals in your cleaners? It's scary! Neuro-toxins, respiratory irritants, carcinogens, endocrine disruptors, corrosives, skin and eye irritants... these are all found under almost every kitchen sink.

Chemicals can be developed and released on the unsuspecting public in under a year. They do not get anywhere near the rigorous testing that new drugs get put through. Even when they are tested, they are not tested in the combinations that can be found in the home when multiple products are used.

This chemical soup is what you and your family breathe in every day. Many of these toxins are absorbed through the skin. It's in the film remaining on the floor that your toddler crawls across daily. Is it any wonder that studies have shown that women who work from home have a 54% higher risk of dying from cancer? What is this mix doing to our children?

As I researched this, I found many natural alternatives. Almost anything can be cleaned using all-natural, non-toxic supplies that are probably in your house right now. Baking soda, white vinegar, lemon juice, salt, hot water and good old-fashioned elbow grease will clean 99% of what you need to clean. These items cost pennies per use and you won't have to worry about chemicals damaging you and your family's health.

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Regular distilled vinegar is my favorite cleaning product. I use it in the bathroom. It's great at removing soap scum. I also use it to clean the carpet. It's very versatile, inexpensive and effective. They only thing I don't like is the smell, but it dissipates quickly.

3. Magic Pixel

Magic PixelMember

Threads:
    professionaltightwad, what you've told everyone here is important and it's something I didn't really think about till I saw this. As for alternatives, lime and salt work, but can be corrosive and abrasive, so due caution.

4. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    Gradually, I'm opting for more natural cleaning solutions. I hadn't heard about that which you comment, but I will try to put it into practice. I don't do for health reasons, but I think we can use environmentally friendly alternatives to help the environment. The vinegar seems to be a good choice. Vinegar is a good cleaner, degreaser, and is also a great disinfectant. We can use it to clean the tables and wooden utensils in the kitchen, dusting with baking soda and then wiping with a cloth or brush dipped in vinegar. You can also use hot vinegar to disinfect both the kitchen utensils, as well as the tub, barbecue tools and countless other objects.

5. professionaltightwad

professionaltightwadMember

Threads:
    White distilled vinegar is my favorite because you can clean and shine so much with it. Vinegar has both anti-bacterial and disinfectant properties so you're not only cleaning when you use it but keeping germs at bay. Add one cup to your washload (in the rinse cycle) and it is also a natural fabric softener while deodorizing.

It's also great for natural lice removal. Rinse the hair with a cup of white vinegar. Do not rinse with water after because you want the vinegar to sit on the hairshaft for a few minutes. When you go to remove the nits, they'll come out much easier because the vinegar softens the glue that holds them to the hair. As a fringe benefit, it's good for your hair. It softens and shines. I do a vinegar rinse weekly just for that purpose.

6. deecee

deeceeActive Member

Threads:
    A few spoonfuls of baking soda followed by a slug of vinegar or lemon juice down a slightly clogged drain will often clear out the clog. This is a good preventative measure to add into the cleaning routine. It also helps prevent drain odors.

7. meryliz

merylizMember

Threads:
    Wow, vinegar is so versatile! I was aware of its disinfecting properties, but softening clothes and hair? I gotta try it! I have long hair with dried ends... should I rinse it root to tip with 50% vinegar, 50% water?

8. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    I also use vinegar in cleaning. Before, I only used it for cleaning windows, but I learned in forums that I can practically use to clean every part of the house. I use it on our laundry, instead of fabric softener, basically have the same use. Plus the clothes smells so much fresher. I use baking soda for white clothes and my baby's cloth diapers. It's mostly for stains.

9. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    I have switched from using store bought cleaning supplies to vinegar mixed with water several months ago. I have saved money by using vinegar and I also feel like I have saved on my lungs and my skin. I would recommend that more people stay away from harsh chemicals that you can find in stores and use something safer such as vinegar.

10. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I never buy stain remover anymore. All you need is a lemon and you can get any stain out. The enzymes in the lemon juice will break down the stain. Pre-soak your garment in the lemon juice for at least 5 to 15 minutes before washing and you are all good to go. I also use lemon juice on hard to clean pans.

11. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    Wow! I know vinegar has a multitude of benefits, but I had not heard about it being used for mold removal. I will need to pay more attention to these areas around my home, particularly our bathrooms. Do you wipe the vinegar off after it has sat for a while, or do you just let it linger?

As a general question, are the properties of apple cider vinegar that much different than those in white vinegar? While I am waiting to get to the grocery store again, I have a generous amount of apple cider vinegar sitting in my cupboard. Can this be used in the same ways that white vinegar can?

12. IvyBubbles

IvyBubblesNew Member

Threads:
    We really need to consider having chemical-free cleaning supplies. We shouldn't put our health at risk by using all the products that contain harmful elements. Thanks for suggesting all those natural products, really a great help.

13. Albern

AlbernBanned

Threads:
    I agree that chemicals are harmful for home products because there are many dangerous particles in the cleaning chemicals which also not good for human health. I like the today's most using method, Yes I am talking about steam cleaning. I think that is the best way of cleaning and killing the germs from the household items. What do you think about that?

14. daniel.d

daniel.dBanned

Threads:
    We should use chemical free supplies for our homes, especially if we have children around. Well Vinegar and Lemon juice are something that can be used for cleaning purposes.

15. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I have been very careful about what I use around our home. I use a lot of baking soda, vinegar, lemon, essential oils, herbs and spices ( to freshen the air) I prefer these to chemical cleaning agents. I have even started to make my own soaps and shampoos, to make sure I know what goes on my body. I should confess that I love these natural products and I think they are the best.