Cleaning your fridge

Discussion in Home & Garden started by maddie • Mar 2, 2013.

1. gloria7819

gloria7819New Member

Threads:
    I have to say that I hardly ever have to clean out the fridge. My husband eats leftovers so nothing ever stays very long.

2. NadineTorres0910

NadineTorres0910New Member

Threads:
    these are very helpful tips. looking forward to hear more of this interesting lifestyle.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I always keep a box of baking soda in my fridge, the kind specifically designed for refrigerators with that little window on the side. I probably only replace it about every three months or so, since I can never remember to get a new one.

Other than that, I don't really do a deep clean of it unless I spilled something. I'm pretty good about keeping everything in bags or containers.

4. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I hate cleaning my fridge, lol. I do it once every month. If it needs it I do it more, but its normally fine once a month. If I get any spills I clean them right away so once a month is fine for me.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't actually have a set schedule for cleaning my fridge because I throw out things that are starting to go bad all the time. I just clean the fridge out when it starts to look dirty.

6. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I clean it once or twice a month depending how dirty or messy it is. If I spill something I clean it right away. I don't like seeing stains in it. There is no kids in the house so it easy to maintain a clean refrigerator.

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also heard a tip recently that I'll be doing from now on. Use the press and seal saran wrap to line your shelves with. My kids are so messy in the fridge, I have no idea how they do it. This will make it much easier to keep it clean. Just remove the saran wrap, give the shelves a quick wipe, then replace ;)

8. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I doubt anyone is a fan of cleaning the fridge exactly but we do it pretty often because the idea of slacking off on it honestly grosses me out too much to stand. We also keep some baking soda out, as well.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I clean the refrigerator when I de-frost it, since I take everything out anyway, then might as well clean the inside. I just use a moist cloth to wipe the inside of our ref, since it doesn't need heavy cleaning anyway since it isn't really dirty.

10. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I clean my fridge about twice a month with 409 Spray (the best cleaner ever). What I do to keep my fridge smelling good is to keep an open container of baking soda inside 24-7. This combo works like a charm, so my fridge always smells good.

11. marmunmrhundun

marmunmrhundunBanned

Threads:
    Cleaning the fridge is always the worst. I absolutely hate cleaning the fridge. First you have to get all the food out and then you have to clean everything one by one. I mean wouldn't it be great if there was a machine that could actually clean your fridge for you?

12. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely have anything in the fridge. Makes me wonder why I even bothered to get one. Other than keeping canned drinks and bottled water there is nothing else in it. Because of this, I rarely clean my fridge, maybe once in a couple of months. My fridge came with deodoriser built-in so it never smells. For extra, i do have a piece of charcoal in it, vinegar works wonders too.

13. khillis

khillisMember

Threads:
    I used to clean my fridge on a once a month basis, but I have increased that to once a week. The reason being (besides the obvious cleanliness), is that I waste less food that way. If you go through your fridge once a week, you will be a lot more conscious of what you have left in the fridge and what you can utilize for an upcoming meal. I find if you clean your fridge out only once a month, more food goes to waste. We always have a lot of fresh produce, so I need to be careful about items going bad. If I have a lot of vegetables in which are coming close to their expiration, I make a big pot of vegetables soup.

14. alahnna

alahnnaMember

Threads:
    I am going to have to take some of the tips on here for keeping my fridge cleaned out. I am sad to say that most times, by the time I clean out my fridge it is scary what I might find in there. I am almot positive I have invented a new form of mould at some point and some of it may actually have evolved into a live being... I am always mad at myself when I end up throwing out all that food that I forgot was in there or got pushed to the back by accident. I like the idea of going through it once a week. I just need to find the time to actually do it between my children's activities and my other responsibilities as well. I might have to write it in on the calender, lol