Closed Caption Movies

Discussion in Misc & Others started by H.C. Heartland • Dec 1, 2015.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Have you ever been to a CC movie theater? If you or a loved one is deaf or hard of hearing then this might be of something that would interest you. Contact your states Department of Human Rights and ask about a Hearing Impaired division that handles schedules throughout the state for such like events. In one area for example, a contract was set up with a local movie theater who agreed to offer at least 9 closed captions films throughout the month. The theater is even willing to take requests if there is a movie out that does not have that option. For those who might not be aware, closed caption is a way to subtitle a film. This can be very helpful for movie theaters who may have deaf or hard of hearing patrons. Some theaters have even provide interpreters for their clients! However, this is very rare and many deaf go to the theater with their families without having any captioning or subtitles at all.

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's really informative, thanks for the information @H.C. Heartland@H.C. Heartland. I don't have hearing issues, but I've found that with the way some modern movies are made, I have to fiddle with the settings here at home, to subdue the background noise/music. Sometimes I use the subtitles, especially if the accents are thick. It doesn't usually bother me, but since I sometimes have trouble multitasking, I'll have to rewind to see what I've missed regarding the picture, while reading the subtitles. I like independent films anyway, so have become accustomed to subtitles, but I have friends who refuse to watch movies with them.

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Thanks for the information. I didn't know that you could do these things for the hearing impaired. I know that there is at the library for handicapped locally.

4. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I watch movies with subtitles too! Although as I'm getting older I'm starting to get a hereditary hearing loss. Both my grandmother and my father wear hearing aids. I'm also fluent in sign language though so the thought doesn't really scare me too much. But when watching T.V. its annoying if I'm constantly having to say, 'what did they just say?' so I like the subtitles because when it hits a point in the story line that is hard for me to hear I can just read it. My new found love of subtitles is when trying to learn a foreign language. I'm trying to learn French and so I can listen to French, and then read how its written. Or I can listen in English and read in French or vice-versa. It helps with pronunciation because it doesn't often read like it sounds.