Clothes from the charity shop/thrift store

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by missbishi • Jan 1, 2015.

1. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What are everybody's feelings on thrift store clothing?

Here in the UK, we have a lot of good charity shops, where I often buy clothes for myself. Of course, shopping at these stores can be very "hit and miss" and requires dedication. I've had some fantastic bargains over the years and rarely buy new, full priced clothing.

Some of my friends think second hand clothing is disgusting though. The thing is, most items end up at the store because they haven't been worn - and when I do buy new clothes, you can bet a few other people have tried them on before me.

What does everyone else think? Love or loathe?

2. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    I love them! We don't call them charity stores, but more thrift stores. You really have to pick and dig, but you can get some great deals. I have found next to new items for great prices. For my kids, they are a god send. I find it no different than buying clothes at garage sales, which I do also. I do not mind second hand at all.

3. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:

This is so true and is not given a thought by some. I love shopping at thrift stores especially if there is a dressing room or they offer return of merchandise within a certain number of days. You can find designer name clothes, shoes, and accessories at more affordable prices. It's funny too because people will spend an arm and a leg for vintage clothing - that someone once owned.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have found purchasing from second hand stores can help you to create your own look, save you money and can be lots of fun. I have found brand new items with the tags still own them at less than half the price if I had purchased it brand new at one of the big name stores. If you don't tell people you purchased it at a second hand store they would not know.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to buy 2nd hand clothes from time to time when I get to see a thrift store. Lately, the 2nd hand clothes that I bought were from Ebay, and they were ok. You can always "disinfect" those clothes by washing them thouroughly, so I'm not averse to buying them.

6. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I love them too! I was just talking about this in another thread as well. Thrift stores have a lot of clothes that you simply can not find anymore. If you can find the clothes in many stores, you will find them at a thrift store for half the price. The clothes are so great, and the price is so good that you just can't beat it. I always recommend thrift stores to people when I'm giving them advice for places to shop on the cheap.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm okay with them. I wouldn't go out of my way to seek them out as I still prefer to just get brand new items at clearance sales or outlet stores since they are practically the same price but I also like thrift stores because you get to find some items that you probably would have never come across at a department store or at a mall.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind occasionally mooching around charity shops because you can stumble across some true hidden gems, like this Italian leather satchel I picked up a few years ago for 5 whole quid!!! So I don't loathe or love them per se. I still very much prefer to buy first hand, overall. The main thing that bugs me about charity shops is the stale, musty smell in most of them, I don't know if it's moth balls or whatever....I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. But I wouldn't say I find charity shops disgusting or that they're beneath me. You also just don't always get what you're after, they're restrictive and can be retro which is not quite what I go for.

9. professionaltightwad

professionaltightwadMember

Threads:
    I love buying clothes at thrift shops. I know my prices pretty well so I wouldn't ever buy something that is only slightly cheaper than what I can find on a clearance rack. What I look for is clothing that is brand new with tags or very gently used designer or expensive clothing. I've found London Fog jackets that go for $200 at thrift shops for $20 or less. You'll never see one of those that cheap, even on clearance.

Another reason that I like thrift shops so much is that I'm often able to find things that I can no longer find in the regular stores. Styles change so rapidly that it becomes hard to find some clothes after only one season.

10. lucyarty

lucyartyMember

Threads:
    I don't tend to buy clothing from charity shops any more, although I did quite often as a teenager. I do agree they can be quite hit and miss; my friend used to work in a charity shop and has told me about some amazing things she's found among the donated items, including designer clothes with the labels still attached, but there can be some pretty scruffy, careworn looking things on the rails too, so you've got to dig around a bit. I generally prefer to just buy clothes new now, as I don't really want to spend the time necessary looking for the gems.

11. mizrael

mizraelMember

Threads:
    There's nothing shameful about shopping at thrift stores, I've always bought my clothing new until I met my girlfriend, she introduced me to the thrift stores and now I'm addicted, my family makes fun of me because I go there but I don't let it bother me too much, I do have a problem though with thrift stores overcharging, sometimes they try to get more than the product is worth and that's what I don't like. If I feel like I'm being taking advantage of though, I will spend an extra buck or two for something new.

12. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    There's a lot of thrift stores in my area, and shopping from them can be quite addicting. A lot of them have certain days when things are half priced, so this really helps. It's such a hit and miss though, with finding things my size. If I see something I have to buy it right then and there, even if it's not the right day. But the thrill of the hunt is definitely exciting. I don't like leaving empty handed.

13. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    Nothing wrong with thrift shops. Sometimes you can find really good quality clothes just staying around and more than once I found some big brands in different thrift shops. I think they kinda are the gems hidden in the basket and hopefully I can get some luck with some wolverine boots (yea, keep dreaming).

14. tiffkahla

tiffkahlaNew Member

Threads:
    I love them, I have 6 kids and sometime you can find good new things there. Its all about taking your time to look.