Clothes: price or quality?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Peninha • May 9, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I'd rather have 1 high quality piece of clothing than 3 low quality ones, that $40 pair of jeans will last you 5 times more than the $20 pair.
    Of course it's not always an option unfortunately, but I always try to take advantage of deals and sales to try and get some items that I usually wouldn't be able to afford.

2. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's the man perspective Strykstar, my wife for example prefers to have five $20 shoes than one pair of shoes that costs $100 because she feels the need to accompany fashion and to have matching shoes with her outfits. When I say cheaper shows it applies to every pieces of clothing, people will less money will prefer to buy cheaper and more.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I buy for both equally. I find that it's much better to buy cheap clothes for plain items like shirts and if you pair them up with expensive and high quality items then your whole wardrobe looks more expensive than it actually is. Of course sometimes it's a bit hard to match and sometimes the cheap clothes would stick out a bit, but they are still good for regular use as it's not too practical to wear out expensive clothing items quickly by wearing them too frequently, so for those times it's good to have cheaper items as a substitute.

4. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I would have to say it is a mix. If it is something I must wear on a regular basis, then I must buy something of quality. If I know I won't wear something for long or roo often, it's OK to buy cheap. As they say you get what you pay for. Besides, I ca hmm always make a little money selling my clothes or donate them.

5. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    There are a lot of places where you can get quality clothing at discounted prices. I'm a fan of buying quality because I feel they last longer then cheaper clothing which you end up replacing often.
    I like shopping at off realtors such as TJMaxx, Nordstroms Rack and Burlington Coat factory for name brand clothing at low prices.

6. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I consider both the price and the quality of the clothes I'm buying. I don't necessarily buy the cheapest clothes I find on the shelves, nor the most expensive ones. However, I buy the clothes that have the best price to quality ratio so that I can get the best kind of clothes for their price point. For shoes, I don't get scared buying cheaper ones since I know how to take care of shoes and get them to live longer.

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I buy with price now mostly. Things are very tight at our home so if I need something I'll go to the thrift shops first or Walmart then Ross Dept. Store. Sometimes you get very lucky and quality goes on sale! Then I'll buy quality with sales.

8. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    When I buy clothes I always consider both the price and the quality.
    However, there have been times when I had to focus more on the price.
    It gets tricky sometimes but you don't want to end up throwing so many clothes away because of the bad quality...

9. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We were in Hongkong late last month and one or our itineraries is the flea market in Mong Kok. Everything is on big discounts so we bought some printed t-shirts for our homecoming gifts to friends and colleagues. On the next day, we went to a boutique that sells branded clothing items. It was a coincidence that there was a sale of Bossini shirts so I bought 3 for myself. My husband was teasing me that I bought cheap t-shirts for gifts and expensive quality t-shirts for myself. I also bought one Bossini for my husband so he would stop teasing me.

10. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    Even though quality should be my answer, the price usually rules my decision. I have to make my finances work. That is the bottom line. If it is a choice between a $50 top or a $25 top that will get me through the season, I need to purchase the less expensive one. I hope one day I can choose quality without worrying about making it until next payday.

11. shother

shotherMember

Threads:
    I am not one of these people that will spend hundreds of dollars to buy a pair of shoes, nor I will buy the cheapest thing I will find regardless if I actually like it or not. I'm somewhere in between. I usually try to combine the best possible quality with an affordable price.

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When buying clothes, you have to be as balanced as possible and try not to get carried away by either price or quality. When you get carried away by thoughts of buying the cheapest clothes you can get your hands on, you either end up sacrificing quality or buying a bunch of cheap clothes the collective price of which is enough to burn a hole through your pockets. On one hand, if you're too much into quality, no cheap but decent clothing will ever appease you. You end up picking expensive clothes that look like they'll last a lifetime only to realize later on that you were just paying for the brand or designer's reputation.

13. cecejailer

cecejailerMember

Threads:
    I really don't have a choice when it comes to this. I wish I had, but I can only afford less quality, cheaper clothing. I mean, I can save up and buy something with a better quality, but I don't think it is worth buying one piece of expensive clothing instead of 20 pieces of less quality clothing. I usually go for places like Zara, which isn't exactly cheap but it is the cheapest store with such beautiful, trendy clothing that I've found.

14. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    Thankfully, I haven't come across cheap clothing that easily damaged. Most of my clothing came from private sellers who cater to larger sizes. I get comfortable clothing at the price of a smaller sized clothing. I'm able to save a lot of money and all my clothes are still in good condition.

15. Robilas

RobilasMember

Threads:
    Buying mindlessly the cheapest cloth is never a good choice, since usually the quality is lower. Sometimes it's worth to spend a little more to get a good piece, since cheap clothes can be easily damaged or ruined.

If you want to save some serious money on clothes, don't buy them as soon as a new collection is out, but wait for them to be on sale with a decent discount. Sure the choice is not as wide, but you are paying half the price (or possibly less) for an high quality cloth.

16. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    When buying clothes my considerations will be affordability, attractiveness, and durability. I may not be able to buy the most expensive but I am not going to settle for the cheapest because I know that buying the cheaper stuff does not necessarily equate to possible savings because there is the possibility it may deteriorate in a short time and I would have to replace it with better stuff wich would prove more costly than if I had bought the more durable item in the first place.

17. Ema35

Ema35New Member

Threads:
    Both, prize and quality must be acceptable for me

18. Narumiya

NarumiyaNew Member

Threads:
    I honestly do think you don't have to compromise on either price or quality. You can get really nice clothing for affordable prices; you just have to know where to look! Of course, if your clothes have nice quality, they're not going to be cheapest clothes out there, but they don't have to break your bank either. Shopping online is a good option for this, but it requires that you know your size thoroughly. Sales are nice options too; I typically save my money for a few months and buy a good bunch of clothing when they go on sale.

For shoes, however, it's important that you never compromise with quality. I'm a fervent believer in that. It doesn't matter if the price is a bit on the higher side - your shoes support your weight and it's very important that you have good shoes that are comfortable for you. Especially when it comes to high heels for ladies, or winter shoes. You know that adage? About the rich guy who buys good boots poor guy who buys cheap boots. In the short term, the good boots cost more than the cheap boots. But the cheap boots break easily, so the poor guy has to buy new cheap boots every year, and the rich guy's good boots last him years. In the long run, buying quality shoes saves you a lot of money since you can use them for a long time.