Cloud-based anti-virus safe to use?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Denis Hard • Dec 2, 2013.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Cloud-based anti-virus technology is allegedly the best protection you can get for your computer because you never have to update your software. Ever. They actively scan your PC as you browse and quarantine [or delete] any malware they encounter. . .and in doing so keep your computer clean?

I used Panda anti-virus last year but got infected a trojan horse anyway.

Anyone had a similar experience?

2. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    You're pretty much right, yes. It is something that can freely sit in the background and you never really have to worry about it or deal with it (which is a good thing) But sometimes people like to know what's going on and like having full control; especially with stuff to do with security. I would only trust a well-known brand when going own this route however.

3. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    It is increasingly common to find antivirus in the cloud, using data supplied by users to detect new threats and cope with collective intelligence. In this case, the antivirus collects information from the analyzed files on computers where it is installed and sends the information to the server of the author of antivirus , which analyzes the information and determines , with the collective information , which files are potentially dangerous and which are not.

Unlike traditional antivirus , the decision making heuristic antivirus agent alone with information provided by his own experience , but in this kind of antivirus the decision is taken by the information from hundreds of different computers , that's a point playing favor of this alternative. The most popular antivirus is Panda Cloud Antivirus , although there are many more , like Comodo Cloud Scanner or Immunet . I use the classic antivirus , but I think that this trend will prevail in a while.

4. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I have not used a cloud based antivirus but the technology seems to be interesting. I think I will give it a try and post an update to my post. I am just using Microsoft Security essentials at the moment. It is really good I have never had issue with it.

5. ladybug

ladybugMember

Threads:
    I've worked with computers for over 30 years and I still think Norton Anti-Virus is one of the best products out there as far as anti-virus programs. I also think people have a tendency to underestimate products like SpyBot, CCleaner, and Malwarebytes because these are actually excellent programs that people should have on their machines besides an anti-virus program and they run very well with certain anti-virus software like Norton. I don't like cloud based products, especially for holding my data because to me it's just far too risky as far as any real personal information is concerned. I copy files and important data to CD or to my flash drive and then I delete the information off of my machines. I never keep tax information or anything containing sensitive data on my machines either. After I'm done with the information it either gets copied, deleted, or both and then I run CCleaner. I also do this after I've shopped online and reboot my machines, which give me an extra layer of protection, as well.