Coconut Oil-A part of your beauty regimen?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Serena • Dec 5, 2014.

1. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I use coconut oil as a part of my beauty regimen. I use it to moisturize my hair and moisturize my skin. I also use it for oil pulling, which is for dental health. Is coconut oil a part of your beauty regimen? What do you use it for?

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My sister uses it for her hair. I know a couple of people who oil pull, and I was going to start doing it too. But I had some trouble with my teeth recently, and at the end of one of the appointments that I had, I thought that I'd better inquire about oil pulling. The dentist had never heard of it. He had to ask me repeatedly what I was talking about. I finally explained to him what it was and what it was supposed to do, and both him and his assistant said that they'd never heard of it. I was shocked. Anyway, they told me that they'd look into it and tell me what they thought.

At the beginning of the next appointment, I asked him if he had looked into it. He told me yes, and he said that oil pulling is not too effective. Perhaps 50% it works. But mouth wash has a higher success rate. So now I am not sure what to believe. What kind of results have you had?

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have long, naturally curly hair that's all too often difficult to tame. My aunt suggested that I drench my hair in virgin coconut oil to prevent my hair from flying here and there. Thus, putting coconut oil has become part of my monthly beauty regimen. A VCO bottle is rather expensive so I use it sparingly to avoid exhausting everything in a single application. Sometimes, instead of VCO, I pour real coconut extract, squeezed from the insides of an old coconut husk, onto my hair.

4. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I use it for my hair and skin all the time. I have also used it in cooking. Would you mind posting the method for oil pulling? I have been interested in doing this for some time. We already use cloves as a way to extract bacteria. But I have never done oil pulling yet and would like to try it. Thanks in advance!

5. missbee23

missbee23Member

Threads:
    I use coconut oil as a moisturizer because I don't like to buy a different product for everything I need to do. I prefer to buy things that have multiple uses. Coconut oil has many purposes. I can cook with it, and I can use it on my skin. It doesn't take much. A little bit goes a long way. It absorbs quickly into the skin and doesn't leave you feeling greasy all day like some other oils can.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also love coconut oil, it's such a nifty little gem that you can use for so many things. I personally use it on my skin as it get very dry and can even crack if not sufficiently moisturised. I use the extra hydrating Nivea, which is good but just doesn't quite do the job. So I mix it in with some coconut oil and my skin is as soft as a baby's bum. Some days I use it on its own and my skin is still happy. I also use it for my hair, especially along my hairline. My hairline has taken a beating from all the braiding, but I can see an improvement with continued use of coconut oil. Coconut oil is also very good for your nails and cuticles. Mine chip very easily, so I've taken to massaging it in to the nail bed and cuticle area. It's early days, so I don't know how well it'll turn out over time. Fingers crossed :)

7. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I have been using coconut oil for a long time. I am sure that a lot of people use coconut oil for their overall well being due to its great benefits. I extensively use it only for hair as it makes my hair quite smooth.

8. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21Member

Threads:
    Coconut oil is so diverse, it is known and used worldwide for numerous purposes. I am Jamaican and we use the coconut almost on a daily basis as it flourishes here in abundance. The most popular use of the oil here is to cook with. I know of the other uses that it possesses but this was mostly tapped into during the olden days on a larger scale than is happening now. My grandparents told tales of its use in hair and on the body but i have never tried this before. It is somewhat strange to see that we do not make use of the beauty properties of it more, i think the main reason for this is due to the fact that persons associate its scent with something edible or just dislike the aroma in the cosmetic sense.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind coconut oil in body creams as I know they are very moisturizing, but I don't like the smell of coconut. I did try it once, but the smell can be quite strong and put me off using it again. Also I don't like an oily residue, so even though I know it's good, it doesn't suit me.

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have recently started using coconut oil on my skin. I have seen some videos on YouTube that use coconut oil and shea butter to make a body butter. I haven't made it yet, but it's on my to-do list.

I use cream of coconut as a deep moisturizer for my hair. I have noticed great results in a very short period of time.

11. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    I have read that coconut oil is better for you then most of the oils, including olive oil. So I bought a jar of the organic kind. I have used it on my hair and skin and think it is fantastic. If you use it on your skin don't do it every day because you can clog your pores. You don't need much, a little goes a very long way. I have used it in cooking, it works great for frying, it is not as heavy as some oils and does not tend to cook off as fast, it tasted very light.

I also added some to my dogs food. It has helped her coat shine like crazy, I read it was good for dogs because of the omega 3 in the oil. I think they are right.

12. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Currently, I just use it occasionally when cooking, though I usually choose a different oil; and I use it in my soap recipe every time I make it. I hear so many good things about it, though, that I think I'll have to start taking advantage of some of it's other uses. I recently found a recipe for a nice sounding hand cream using coconut oil. I might start with that.