Coconut Oil

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Diane Lane • Apr 10, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been hearing a lot about the health benefits of coconut oil. When I look around, whether online or in stores, it seems there's a wide variety of types available, and I'm not sure which to buy. I am on a tight budget, so of course I'd like to be able to purchase the least expensive type that will work for my needs.

I'm interested in learning how to use it in cooking. I know it seems to be a solid oil, which I'm not used to anymore, now that Crisco shortening isn't all that prevalent, and has been replaced with liquid oils.

I also want to try it out with one of my cats that has some health and behavioral issues. I saw it used on an animal on a television program, both externally and internally (the monkey ate it right off the lady's fingers), and it was said to help heal skin conditions, which my cat has.

Does anyone have any words of advice for one particular type that would work for both situations? I can't really afford to buy both, but if I have to only purchase one, it would be for my cat, and I'll keep using the oils I currently have/buy.

2. doxie

doxieNew Member

Threads:
    The best type is any brand that is organic, but if that's too expensive for you, just get the regular Louana. It's better than nothing.

3. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    It's important to always buy organic when purchasing coconut oil because if it's not organic it will be refined. Refined means it has been processed and heated and basically all of the nutrients are gone. There are so many benefits of using coconut oil though. We go through about one tub a month!

4. Destiny

DestinyActive Member

Threads:
    The only kind I ever see is Louana brand, it's what I but at Wal-Mart for $3 something. I found that trying eggs in it (sounds weird, right?) is DELICIOUS! Seriously! I love it!

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, coconut oil can be purchased inexpensively at Walmart. That is interesting to know about the oil. I didn't know you could use it with pets. The solid format of the oil does take a little getting used to, but it is not too much of a problem. It melts. I kind of think coconut oil is the (flavor of the month) so to speak because some doctors online say it is not as healthy as people think. I know coconut water that people were hot on for awhile got debunked.