Coconut Oil

Discussion in Product Reviews started by ThesePretzels • Jun 7, 2016.

1. ThesePretzels

ThesePretzelsMember

Threads:
    When I first heard about all the ways people were using Coconut Oil I was initially hesitant, but as I do like to try health fads for myself I eventually got a tub. At first I tested it as a low temperature cooking oil, and it's a nice change up if you don't mind the coconut flavor. I tried it as a vegetable oil substitute, but it wasn't a great replacement compared to Apple sauce. I also heard it's useful as a appetite suppressant, but I only tried a spoonful once so that claim remains unsubstantiated.

Where I really became a fan was the oils use as a lotion or moisturizer, if I have dry hands or rough skin a little coconut oil goes a long way. As far as versatility is concerned coconut oil just about stands up to the hype, at the very least it's a more health-mindful alternative to other products that can get the job done.

2. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I am pretty much exactly like you @ThesePretzels@ThesePretzels when it comes to the coconut oil. I have found that when it comes to cooking purposes, it is so-so and I have yet to really find anything particular that is good with it, but for personal care products it is great It is in a lot of my soaps and lotions and it seems to work very well for my skin, which is always welcome.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have here the VCO - virgin coconut oil - that underwent a unique process of separating the oil from the coconut without using heat. They say that VCO is good for the digestive system so my sister had recommended it to me since my usual tormentor in the morning is constipation. I'd say it's pretty good because I am able to have a good morning with the VCO. There are so many uses of VCO but I will not mention it here for it's only the digestive system that I have tested it.

4. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    You are right on the spot, coconut oil is a viable health alternative especially when used as a lotion. I have been using it periodically and not only is it cheap, a little goes far. One drop is enough to cover the face for example. It is very revitalizing and has a natural sunscreen. It also blends well with other oils during usage if one wants to tweak it a little.

5. PennyPincher

PennyPincherMember

Threads:
    I normally use coconut oil for my dogs. I give them a little with their meals to help keep their digestive system healthy and to prevent fleas and ticks.

6. ThesePretzels

ThesePretzelsMember

Threads:
    Glad to hear such a positive response to coconut oil, myself not having a horse in the race besides just wanting a market with a better and more diverse stable of health minded alternatives to household products.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use coconut oil for so many things. I make sure that I use the 100% pure virgin coconut oil though, because some of these companies claim to be making pure coconut oil, only for you to discover that that is not the case once you do some digging into the brand. I eat coconut oil, and I use it for my skin, as well as my teeth. Hair too.

8. lisasian86

lisasian86Member

Threads:
    I've heard so much about coconut oil recently, everyone is raving about it. Where can you buy it from?(I live in the UK) and is it expensive?

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Coconut oil is quite cheap though, over here they only cost around $3 to $4 per bottle. I also have heard of coconut oil being used for the hair, but I never really got enticed to try it.

10. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    I know some uses for coconut oil.
    1. As a great cooking oil with a high smoke point. Great for baking, stir-frys or as a dairy free replacement to butter
    2. Added to drinks daily for energy.
    3. As a coffee creamer.
    4. On the skin as a basic lotion.
    5. As homemade deodorant. Tasty smell.
    6. As an eye-makeup remover.
    7. In making your own toothpaste.
    8. To lighten age spots when rubbed directly on the skin.

11. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    I primarily just use this on my hair and skin. I don't cook much anymore, but coconut oil keeps my skin from drying out nicely and my hair gets frizzy pretty easily given my lifestyle ;)

12. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    The only thing I use coconut oil for when cooking is banana/plantain chips. Other then that I mostly use it for beauty products. I find it's a natural healthy alternative to many lotions that contain chemicals and fragrances. I have bad rashes/sensitive skin so I find it's more useful them using a non natural body lotion. It's also great as a hair mask. Just be careful about using too much because sometimes it can take a while to rise out.

13. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've also heard about the wonder that is coconut oil, and have jumped onto the bandwagon. Well, sort of LOL I too have very dry skin, including feet and hands. But the main reason I bought it was because I heard it was very good at strengthening and growing hair, something I'm always keen to do. I went out and bought a very expensive, organic jar as well as two small generic bottles. I tried it on my hair and liked that it doesn't leave a greasy residue. It also sank in very nicely into the soles of my feet. However, I've since got lazy and don't really use it consistently! I have yet to try it in cooking because I just won't trade in my olive oil for anything hehe So I can't really vouch for it being this wonder oil that everyone is buzzing about.

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Although Google scholars will disagree, coconut oil is not the cure-all, health gold everyone blog researches about. It's something to add to the beauty arsenal, for sure, but many things beat it hands down. Its no longer a part of my diet either. I go with science on these things, because my health is extremely important to me, but I do like it for my hair on occasion.

15. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use coconut oil for cooking; but not the extra virgin coconut oil. The coconut oil that I use has added betacarotene, and is yellow, so it gives the food a nice golden color when you fry something in it. Except for an egg now and then, or fried chicken, we really do not fry a lot of foods, and when we do , it is only pan-fried, and not deep-fried. We use very little oil when we cook, and thiis oil has no smell at all.
    I also have the extra vitgin coconut oil, and that is what I add in smoothie, or even in my coffee, and I enjoy the coconut flavor and smell there. I also have coconut oil hand lotion, shampoo and conditioner, and I like all of them. The coconut hand and body lotion has a wonderful coconut fragrance, and it makes my skin feel soft and smooth.

16. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's been fabulous for my health, as far as getting some healthy fats into my diet. I use it for my hair too. But that is about it. I don't really use it for my skin, since having changed my diet has given me wonderful smooth skin that never flakes or anything. But I love coconut oil. I was getting to the point where I was using so much that the smell was making me feel sick though.

Also, why is coconut oil not the health holy grail that people profess it to be?

17. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    "healthy fat" depends on which science you want to follow. To each their own, of course. Most things that we do won't harm us immediately (sometimes ever) so we can't always just go by what it's not doing now, if that makes sense. Hey, lots of people swear by it and if we eat an abundance of fruit and veggies etc, they can be pretty protective when we eat the wrong things in (actual) moderation. But I was using it so much, I had to dig deeper to be sure of it for myself. I was for it, so I didn't just follow the science I wanted to hear.
    And I'm so so happy your health has improved :D

18. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I personally use coconut oil for my teeth, I oil pull 2-3 times a day and also use it as my tooth powder base. I like the tastes and I feel like it helps sooth my gums. I also use coconut oil in some of my cooking but mostly I use it for my oral hygiene

19. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I still haven't tried coconut oil. I mostly want to try it for my hair because a lot of people rave about it. However, every time I need hair care products, I always forget to pick up the coconut oil and end up with my regular favorites and a few new things to try. Hopefully next time I'm out, I'll remember to pick some up because I really want to give it a try.

20. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I too have heard and read about virgin and organic coconut oil. A nurse recommended it for my Mom's very dry skin that saved my Mom as one of her regiment to save her skin. We try to drink a tablespoon everyday with virgin olive oil for health purposes...should keep away cancer.