Coconut Oil

Discussion in Product Reviews started by ThesePretzels • Jun 7, 2016.

1. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @JosieP@JosieP I think that these trends are risky. One person will have success with one substance, and then it snowballs and everybody assumes that it will have the same effects, not taking into consideration that we are mostly all at different levels of health. CBD oil is considered a healthy fat, yet it is illegal. People are so slow. They see scientific proof that a substance has benefits, and because it is associated with Marijuana, which is scientifically backed too, they won't legalize it. We are so strange. It's that cognitive dissonance.

And thank you :)

#21Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2017
  2. 17emilyhalko

17emilyhalkoMember

Threads:
    Coconut oil is great! I use it as an antifungal for a yeast infection, and it does wonders! I have never tried it on my dry skin, though. I have a patch of skin on my ankle that is so dry, that i literally cannot feel it. But coconut oil is wonderful! It's great to cook with AND to use on your hair!
    If you're interested in making fudgey brownies, I suggest replacing the vegetable oil with coconut oil. You also have to cut the cooking time 5-10 minutes. But the consistency that it comes out is like fudge!

3. ashley0323

ashley0323Member

Threads:
    Come to think of it, I have never used coconut oil for its original purpose; cooking. I do use it all the time though, for all these health fads though. My oldest daughter, who is 5, has some gnarly skin. It dries out very quickly and products that are designed FOR her skin, doesnt even work. Coconut oil is the ONLY thing we have found that works amazingly.

4. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    @Corzhens@Corzhens The digestive effect of VCO does work. I have tried it for months and it really helped me a lot. I tried using it on my hair and skin. It has great effects too.

#24Oct 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2017
  5. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Coconut oil is particularly good for your hair. It revitalize your scalp region and reduce hair fall. Warm coconut oil is a good remedy for dandruff. But the actual issue is the non-availability of genuine coconut oil. My place was famous for coconut cultivation but nowadays almost all farmers switched over to rubber plants. There is high increase in the prices of coconut and allied products. It also adversely affects the quality of coconut oil.

We use a virgin coconut oil brand called "Parachute" which is really good. Plain Parachute coconut oil is very good for babies too.

6. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I don't think that I can ever use coconut oil for cooking. I won't be able to eat the dish. I can't bear the smell. I like the coconut sweet though. Its yummy! Yes, for hair and as a moisturizer it is very good and I have heard that it is very beneficial for weight loss, but have never tried it nor will I ever try it.

7. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    First thanks for reminding me of the great benefits from use of coconut oil. Actually I have used a lot of coconut oil body lotion and hair products. It works excellently on the body. Going by the gist here, I am going to try it on foods, and hope it's a superb oil for the health. I'll have to search local markets where I can get the real undiluted product.

8. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    I cook daily with Coconut oil. The best thing about coconut oil is that it can tolerate high temperatures unlike the other stuff, so my food tasted better after cooking them in high heat. I've been a fan of cooking oil ever since I was a child because coconut oil in our country is the cheapest oil to buy. Even though the oil is cheap, it has a lot of health benefits. Have you heard about the Lauric acid? This acid is abundantly found in Coconut oil and it's a good chemical to counter Virus, Bacteria, and Parasites in the body. The best thing about Coconut oils is that it has an Anti-Aging property, just notice the people who take coconut oils as their basic dietary staple vs countries that doesn't use coconut oil, you'll see that most of these people are healthier and they look younger.

9. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I keep hearing about it, but I guess I'm a bit slow when it comes to health fads (or should I say trends). I have a lot of questions.

I've been reading how it's great for hair, and this is one question I really wanted to ask. I was curious if it helped with frizz, so thanks for this. I also wondered if it left a greasy residue, but I see that @Lushlala@Lushlala has answered that one for me. These things are good to know. I think I'll give it a try for my hair.

I have dry skin too, so I think I'll try some of the recipes I've seen for homemade lotions and creams that us coconut oil.

For cooking, I'm not sure. My family tend to be picky eaters. What is the best way to take it for digestion?

If anyone knows where to find a quality brand and get a good deal on it, I'd appreciate it if you set me in that direction.

@Josie@Josie, could you elaborate on why you don't think it's particularly healthy?

10. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    A lot can be said about good old coconut oil. It's full of goodness for the whole body and it is one of the oldest oils to be used.

We used to make it at home but you need a lot of fuel and a good amount of coconuts to get a bottle of oil. I can't stand it in my food so I never use it for cooking. Now that winter has begun I use it on my skin as a moisturizerand it works miracles!

11. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Coconut oil is one of the best ingredient for hair and skin I've ever used. Ours is place which is in high altitude. So there's less humidity in the air which makes the skin and hair awfully dry. I found coconut oil as a savior to keep the skin moist.
    However, I never have used coconut oil for cooking as our style of cooking doesn't go well with its flavor.

12. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Coconut oil is considered in our place as a wonder oil. It is good for cooking, for skin moisturizer, for health maintenance and you name it, coconut oil could have a good effect. No wonder that in your case, it is not working for you have only tried it once. Isn't it if you are sick the doctor would prescribe medicine usually good for one or two weeks? Why that long? I think you know the answer for that. Anything that is used once would give the optimum good effect to the user. Isn't it?

13. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I have also found that there are so many uses for coconut oil. I don't really use it for cooking for that I prefer olive oil. I got a tub myself to try out natural ways to take care of my hair, skin, and even teeth. I make hair masks to make my hair look and feel strong and shiny. I mix it up with baking soda to make a paste that has helped whiten my teeth. It also helps my skin look glowy and healthier.

14. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I've seen and heard that coconut oil can get rid of stretch marks if applied frequently. My family member used coconut oil after her pregnancy and no stretch marks were absent.

15. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I confess that I find it a bit strange, but my girlfriend loves and uses often. She says it does very well for her skin, but I honestly don't see all those benefits (but the last time I told her this, she was upset with me... Now, I always say that this oil is wonderful for her skin :p).

16. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    This is one where I know that in the right hands, this could be a big saver, as I know that it has several uses. I personally just do not know enough about it to be those hands, so not quite yet for me, but promising.

17. animesh kumar singh

animesh kumar singhNew Member

Threads:
    Coconut oil is definitely a good source of nourishment for body skin cells provided that you get a good brand for use.

#37Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2017
  18. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I make my own coconut oil. It is a simple boiling of the coconut milk that I extract from the grated coconut that can be bought in the wet market. One coconut can produce a glass of pure coconut oil. As a bonus, the sediments called “latik” can serve as dessert or eaten with native rice cake or corn cake. For the coconut oil, I use it on my scalp as a precaution for dandruff especially during the cold season. I also use coconut oil to silence the creaking doors and chairs. What’s good in coconut oil is the organic nature and it is cheap and easy to make.

19. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    In coastal areas of our country coconut oil is the main cooking oil besides used for massage, and hair-care. I have heard that coconut oil keeps your hair and heart healthy and people who use it regularly as cooking medium have very low heart disease rate. It also helps keep your hair naturally shining for longer duration.

20. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Coconut was once a very maligned substance. False information about negative effects of the oil was spread unsuspectedly by people who wanted to promote soy as a substitute. Those myths that were spread about coconut oil have now been debunked and there is now growing popularity to its usage once more. I am from a country where coconut palm is grown on a considerable scale and when I was very young people here would use the oil like a lotion on their skin and I can say that it did wonders for their skin.