Coffee as exfoliant

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by classicnyer • Dec 2, 2012.

1. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I read somewhere recently that used coffee grounds mixed with sugar and olive oil make a good exfoliant for the face. Has anybody tried this? What results did you get?

2. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    classicnyer, Oh no..never use coffee grounds on your face.. it is too rough and will damage your skin.. Coffee grounds make an excellent body scrub/exfoliator. You can use coffee grounds with yogurt and make it a doubly effective scrub..

3. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I have never used coffee as an exfoliant, but I have heard lots of good things about sugar. I usually use Yardley's apricot scrub or baking soda. I don't think I would add olive oil to a scrub either, but I use olive oil sometimes after a shower in place of lotion.

4. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Is it too rough for the face? I've noticed that if I use it once and then forget to do it again for a while, but if I do it too often it becomes too rough... I think the secret is to use it sparingly, as in no more than once every week or two.

5. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    No, no.. never use it on the face.. try it on your body and you will know what I am talking about.. you might have your skin all bruised and peeling off... My cousin took my body scrub and scrubbed her face once.. and blamed me for it. Please don't do anything of that sort.
    Yes, as Chanell says baking soda is a better scrub.. even though it appears soft it is rough on your skin.. you may have to use it lightly without rubbing it into your skin.

6. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I've never tried it on my body though I imagine that's a logical thing to try... I will though. And I'll check out the baking soda as well. Thanks for the tips, ladies. :)

7. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, I don't think you want to do that. Maddie was saying it's a bit harsh on the skin and if you used it on your body it might be regrettable. I think maybe coffee should be reserved for use as a foot scrub. It's difficult to keep the skin on the feet, soft, especially the heels.

8. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    My first time to hear about it. Is that good for face, i only hear about using yogurt, milk, honey, cucumber, not coffee grounds.

9. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    By "body" I meant knees and elbows, actually. I always ignore my knees and elbows... and my feet for that matter. The other day I went to paint my toenails for the first time in literally years and thought "maybe I should do something about my heels as well?"

10. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Chanell coffee grounds makes an excellent body scrub.. but not a face scrub.. you could use it all over your body.. I do.. yeah it is good on your heels too.. it leaves your feet feeling soft and smooth.

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm going to give this a try. I don't like to drink coffee, but I wouldn't mind using it as a foot scrub. I have been working on my heels, but lately, it seems like it's a losing battle.

12. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I never heard this about coffee grounds being used as a body scrub. I guess I tend not to think of coffee as anything more then a beverage. But now that I have been told about this I have to wonder if maybe there are other uses for coffee grounds as well. Such as, could coffee grounds be used as household cleaner? I know that may seem silly to ask, but given how abrasive they are I have to ask this question. After all who would of thought they could be used as a body scrub.

13. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it is abrasive enough... to be used as a cleaner, it would also leave stains.. if you are not careful.
    Coffee grounds bring shine and color to your hair. Just wet your hair and rub in coffee grounds.. rinse hair until you get all the grounds out.. Brunettes get the best out of this treatment.. but it darkens hair and brings a natural shine to your hair no matter what color your hair is.
    It is an excellent deodorizer ... place a small bowl in your fridge or freezer and let it absorb all the strong odors.. leaving your fridge smelling great.

14. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    No, I have not used coffee as an exfoliant but I have heard of it being used successfully as such. I knew a German girl who used coffee as an enema. I haven't, but she swears by it! Great for detoxing...

15. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have used the coffee grounds on my hands as a scrub, now that it has been suggested for the feet I will have to try that also. My feet need some help.

16. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    As an enema? That seems just a little bit intense to me, haha.

17. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Detox? Enema? I thought to drink that much caffeine was toxic in itself. I haven't heard of this before.. Actually coffee is dehydrating so how does it work as both an enema and a detox? I am confused.

18. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Well, you don't drink enemas so... Maybe by detox what the German really meant was that she used it as a colon cleanser. Black coffee does send people to the bathroom so maybe using it as an enema gives the benefit directly where it's needed without having to ingest the coffee.

19. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Coffee grounds is not only an exfoliant it is a great deodorizer. You can use it in your fridge.. or to wash your hands after touching smelly things like fish etc.
    It is supposed to be a great cellulite reducer. Mix coffee grounds with olive oil and rub it into your problem areas. Wrap a cling wrap around it and wash off after 15 minutes.

20. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    This is what I do too. I usually prefer to use coffee when I'm having a foot spa or body scrub. Other than the soft and smooth feeling afterwards, the smell is awesome too!!! :D