Coffee as exfoliant

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by classicnyer • Dec 2, 2012.

1. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    So are we talking fresh coffee grounds are the ones that are leftover after you make your coffee?

2. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I use the left over coffee grounds after brewing my coffee. I dry it quickly by spreading it out on a plate to ensure that there is no fungal formation and store it for future use. Even this smells great.. once in a while I add a teaspoon of cocoa powder to lift up my mood.. I love the smell of chocolate. It always make me feel good.. But coffee isn't bad either:)

3. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    That's really interesting, Maddie. I don't make coffee at home and I'm not someplace with fresh coffee grinds often enough to go through all that, but I read a garden article a while back that suggested spreading the grinds out on newspaper to dry and using them later for gardening stuff. I could do this at my mom's but I know the cats would mess with the coffee grinds.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree, the finer the better. Sugars and coffee etc are all very damaging to the skin in the long run.

5. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    This is the first time I have heard of it but I think it could be true though because coffee are amazing anti-oxidants. I would want to try this for myself. Although I think drinking coffee could also give you the same result, just not too much.

6. APluckeyduck

APluckeyduckMember

Threads:
    I never even considered this. I guess I've been too busy trying to drink the coffee and eat the yogurt. I love homemade beauty tips, so i will give it a try. However, I'm just wondering if I will smell like a pot of coffee afterwards.

7. marciana

marcianaMember

Threads:
    This is the very reason why I love brewing my coffee, and not a fan of instant coffees from sachets and tetra packs. I don't care if brewing coffee eats significant amount of time in my busy morning, as long as I am getting freshly done, piping hot coffee and make the grounds useful afterwards, I am more than happy with it. One of the benefits of used ground coffee is an instant and cheap body and face scrub. So to answer your question, yes, I have tried coffee on my face as a scrub. To those who reacted that it is too rough for the skin, no it is not. For I do not use it without a mixture of something, like coconut oil or olive oil, or even my facial wash. The cream and oil will soften the scrub, thus, making it gentle to the skin. The small amount will do the trick. Too much will definitely be too harsh. Everytime, it makes my skin softer, cleaner, and moisturized. Yes, the oil in the coffee helps in moisturizing the face.

8. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    You will smell heavenly like freshly brewed coffee. Add a bit of cocoa to it and you will smell like coffee chocolate.. but I feel fresh and beautiful after a scrub. I just love the smell.. and so does my husband. LOL

Marciana, I am not sure about what you recommend. Coffee grounds are really rough and even with oils the seed base does not soften up so much unless of course it is very finely ground.
    Even then they are sharp and could hurt the skin. I personally would not advise anyone to use coffee grounds on their face.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never knew that coffee grounds can be used as an exfoliant? But I'd rather not try it, I don't think that it's for me, I'm content with using loofah, because it seems to me that those coffee grounds are abrasive on the skin. I'd rather drink coffee than use it on my body.

10. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I have not tried it for the face as it seems too harsh, but I like it more my legs, which are always dry.

11. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I have never used coffee as a exfoliating. I do not think it can very do the job. It feels kind of rough on the face. Also I do not think it can reduce any dirt from face.

12. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I have heard about doing this. When you think about it, this is a good way to use the coffee grounds that are usually thrown away after they are used in coffee maker. But to be honest I have never tried to do this. I have heard mix reviews on doing this. Some say its a good scrub others say it discolors the skin and is way too harsh on the skin. So, I have never tried it myself, and not sure I want to.