Coffee Good For You!

Discussion in Food & Drink started by pafjlh • Feb 20, 2015.

1. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, that is according to a recent study put out. Apparently according to this study drinking coffee up to four cups a day can be good for a person it can help do the followinig:

Coffee has nutrients and antioxidents

Coffee can prolong your life

Coffee can help you lose weight

Coffee can make you smarter

These are just a few of the things that this study claims that coffee can do. But is this all really true, well maybe some of it is such as the part of the antioxidents. But how do these researchers know it can prolong someone's life. Also, is this information really for everyone. I know someone who has a heart condition who has been told not to consume more then one cup of coffee a day because of the fact that caffiene which is found in regular coffee is a stimulant. So, maybe such a study should take into consideration that no two people are exactly alike and for some with existing health conditions consuming so much coffee sitll might nto be a good idea, just a thought.

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As you said, everyone is different. I'm constantly baffled by the studies I read... they narrow down the types of people involved so much and don't take into account enough of their lifestyle for it to be efficient enough for me. Or the other zillion factors that should come into play. Not everyone does well with coffee and there are plenty of things you could do instead for the same results. And coffee also has it's cons, which people tend to ignore when reading anything positive about their vices. There are 2 stories to every food and drink. Far more than two actually, but you know what I'm saying lol.

3. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I know some might be inclined to believe this study and ignore even the advice of their own doctor because some study said it was healthy for them. Also, I forgot to mention that its not all coffee that is good for you. Apparently its only the kind that is black with no cream or sugar included. Funny thing is I don't recall this part being mentioned on the news I found this out when I went to research this further. So, I have to wonder if some who only heard about this report on the news now think that any form of coffee has good benefits even Latte's which definitely don't.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think they probably assume people will know what they mean. I would never assume additives would keep it healthy. When they say coffee, obviously they mean coffee.. not coffee plus your fats and sweeteners added. But there lies a big problem.. most people just don't use their critical thinking when it comes to food/beverages. Or they're seriously misinformed or clinging to very very old "food facts" that make no sense today. They will turn a blind eye to the health risks in order to keep consuming their favourite things. I'm a coffee junkie.. I don't turn a blind eye, but it's the only thing I consume that you could call unhealthy and it isn't entirely so.

5. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    There's plenty of studies on both sides of the argument when it comes to things like coffee and alcohol. I'd take the results of the study with a pinch of salt, but I feel that in general drinking coffee in moderation shouldn't pose any harm at all to your health.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    These aren't facts but theories. I don't think for one moment it can make you smarter, nothing can, either you are or you are not. As for weight loss, coffee suppresses your appetite so you lose weight that way, so I don't think coffee is bad, but it can be addictive for some people. I enjoy a coffee, but I don't need it, but have it when I want to and drink it socially.

7. BargainPhoenix

BargainPhoenixMember

Threads:
    I too enjoy a nice cup of coffee once in a while. The one thing I know about coffee is it helps to keep your bowels regular. That first cup in the morning usually helps expel all the food and toxins you ingested the day before. There are weeks that I feel the need to have it everyday. Then there are weeks that go by without me having it. When I'm not drinking coffee I'm drinking tea.

Speaking of coffee I'm growing a dislike for Dunkin Donuts coffee. I'd choose coffee from a gas station or a local coffee shop over DD. I find them to be too weak to be satisfying nowadays. I guess good Columbian coffee will do that to a person.

8. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    I like my coffee black and no sugar. It is healthy full of anti oxidant and good also for the skin. I also drink it in moderation. One cup in the morning to perk me up and another cup in the afternoon to re-boost my energy.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm always happy to know coffee is good for you! I am an avid coffee drinker and I wouldn't change it for nothing. It makes me feel alert and awake. I love that it can help prolong life! Now, I'm not sure about helping you to lose weight... I could never tell a difference.