Coffee Makers

Discussion in Product Reviews started by kana_marie • Mar 19, 2015.

1. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    I have never spent more than 25$ on a coffee maker. They have always been very basic; pour the water in the back, put coffee in the cup, and hit the on button. I'm curious, rather the expensive coffee maker with more than the one button I'm accustomed to is worth the e straight money. Thank you ahead for any input you can give me!!

2. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I love simple coffee maker, you know the one button one like you said :) I bought mine at a Thrift Store for about 6 bucks and it is Mr. Coffee brand, looked brand new too. I don't like flavored coffee, or latte, or anything other than fresh brew regular coffee.

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like more "expensive" coffee makers. I loved the Keurig we had at the last office I worked at. Now at my current work we have a espresso machine and it's pretty decent. At home I have a Dolce Gusto machine and I like it a lot.

4. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a Hamilton Beach Brewstation, and for me, it is perfect ! It is also simple to operate, just fill with water, coffee grounds in the filter, and push the ON button. The thing that is defferent about the Brewstation is that you dion't need a coffee pot. It has a special heated area where the brewed coffee is stored, and you dispense it one cup at a time as you want ti. It is easy to clean, and keeps the coffee at a perfect temperature, plus there is no glass coffee pot that can break, or has to be washed out.

5. aparsons

aparsonsNew Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on how you like you coffee. If you enjoy regular drip coffee, then you probably won't really notice the difference between a $15 machine and a $75 machine. One might function a little easier, or have extra features, but they will both produce the same end result. If you are looking to enjoy your coffee a little more, I would recommend a cheap French press, a coffee grinder, and some fresh roasted whole beans.

6. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    I would trade my car for an espresso machine. There are some mornings I would trade my car, my house, and my husband for one.

I am always ready to enjoy my coffee a little more! It isn't just about the caffeine anymore. It still is about the caffeine quite a bit but if I find something I can drink with a little less sugar and cream I'll be in my own personal little heaven

Now that sounds nice. I'm on my 3rd pot this year. Does it keep the coffee pretty fresh that way?

I'm with you, on the latte and such! The only thing I like better than coffee is espresso, and that's because it gives me that turbo charge as soon as it hits my lips!! All those other drinks make me feel like I've gained 20 lbs drinking just one. Coffee and espresso don't weigh me down at all!!

#6Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2015
  7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have the Hamilton Beach Brewstation as well and it would be perfect if it didn't turn off after 4 hours. Maybe the newer ones don't do that? Mine is breaking down after many years, so if that has changed, I would definitely buy another one. Otherwise, I'm open to suggestion. One button is good for me.. I just need coffee at the ready all day long LOL. I have a Keurig and a Tassimo sitting in storage if anyone wants them.. I'm not into such wasteful products. (And no, I'm not serious.. I'm not shipping them off to anyone lol)

8. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    This sounds fabulous, I can't believe I've never heard of this before, especially as much as I adore drinking coffee. No need for a coffee pot, and you can dispense one cup at a time? This is right up my alley. I think I'm going to have to buy myself one of these.

Ugh! Terrible! When I first read you have a Keurig in storage if anyone wants one, my heart skipped a beat! And then you wrote you weren't serious.
    Lol, I went from totally elated to totally deflated in a mere two seconds.

#8Mar 21, 2015
  9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sorry! lol.. They're brand new too, I just keep forgetting about them. I'll be posting them on a local selling site for free, so someone nearby can just save me the trouble and come pick them up. They'll go fast and the new owner will likely make a quick buck off them instead of using them themselves. If you can make it here, then by all means, they're waiting for you lol.

10. Determined2014

Determined2014New Member

Threads:
    I once spend money on a very complicated coffee maker, not even sure it was a coffee maker because it could make all this this extra thing, but you know what I nevr got to figure it out, so it was a waste of money, so it is best to stick to the one with one button.

11. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    And then you had to add insult to injury and mention that they are brand new!! Ugh!
    Posting them on a local selling site huh? Would that site by any chance be "freecycle"?? Do you by any chance live in or near Silicon Valley? If you say yes, I will be all over this, I'll keep freecycle up on my computer screen daily.
    If not, c'est la vie. As much as I adore drinking coffee, I should be on top of my game and have myself a Keurig by now. The wide variety of coffee's I could make in one of those machines makes me positively euphoric.:)

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, free, brand new, shiny and sleek lol.. but sorry again, I'm in Canada. With my memory the way it is, they'll likely still be here if you find yourself in the area in the future lol.

13. Happyflowerlady

Threads:
    I have never had a Keurig, and I know that they are all the rage now. I think that if you don't mind waiting for each cup to brew, and there are several people who like their coffee different; then a Keurig would be fine. However, the brewstation works great for me. I can have about two large cups, which is as much as I drink anyway, and the second one is still ready, fresh, and waiting when I want to warm up my coffee cup.
    To be honest, we have two of them. I like flavored coffee, and only drink 1-2 cupos each morning. My husband drinks only regular coffee, and he likes a brewer that makes at least 10-12 cups at a time. So, he has his larger "papa-bear size" one, and I have my "mama-bear size" coffee pot.
    And @JosieP@JosieP , I think that ours shut off after an hour or two at most; so if yours stays on for four whole hours, then you are doing just fine. I usually shut mine off when I pour the second cup, since then it is empty anyway.

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh! Guess I found a good one then. I hope I can find another when it's time. Some days you just don't want to budge and it would be nice to have coffee at the ready all day long lol.
    I need a minion..

15. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    It shutting itself off after so many hours is annoying at times. Honestly, though, I have a REALLY bad habit of forgetting to turn mine off. Depending on how low it is, it can be a real hassle to clean all the nasty sludge out of the bottom... especially if you don't clean it immediately. Maybe I should look for one that can read my mind and just knows when to shut itself off.

16. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    A minion!:D:D I love it! Ab.so.lute.ly LOVE it!!:)

I want a Keurig because of all the flavors that I will be able to make with one. I adore flavored coffee, but you say here that you like flavored coffee and yet you have the brewstation, so I take it that the brewstation makes flavored coffee as well?

I have to google it and find out some more information. I meant to look it up earlier when I was typing the first post about this, but my son needed to use the computer, so looking up the brewmaster slipped my mind.

I totally like the idea of having more than one coffee maker, even though I don't have a husband :) I feel like I drink enough coffee to justify my having 2 of them.

Right now, for daily use, I boil water on my stove and drink instant coffee. I have an old Mr. Coffee that my mom bought back in the 80's that I use, and it still works just fine, brews up to 10 cups at a time.
    I bought a new Mr. Coffee a little while ago, but it stopped working. Isn't that something? The older one from the 1980's still works just fine, but the new one, doesn't work at all.

#16Mar 22, 2015
  17. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I've never really seen the big thing when it comes to coffee makers. Sure it might taste a little better than instant but they're quite expensive to begin with and isn't it a lot of messing about?
    Especially now when there tends to be a coffee shop on every corner to choose from.

18. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Coffee from a shop is more expensive, inconvenient (compared to staying home and making it) and for me, it contributes to things I don't want to contribute to. Instant is just gross.. but maybe only because I'm used to brewing it. I just know how heavenly it was to switch from instant to what I've been drinking now for years lol

19. Determined2014

Determined2014New Member

Threads:
    I do love brewed coffee compared to instant, it just gets tricky when the machines are somewhat expensive but if I found a nice machine I would ot mind investing in it, to better my coffee drinking.

20. Happyflowerlady

Threads:
    Winnie, I buy my flavored coffee from Coffee Fools on Amazon. They have flavors you have probably never even heard of before, and since they want to keep the coffee fresh, they are always marking some flavors on clearance prices.
    The brewstation has a place for coffee and uses a regular coffee filter, just like a Mr. Coffee, or any other coffeemaker would use; so you can make any kind of flavored coffee that you like with it . I imagine that it is also cheaper than buying the little cups they use for the keurig. Plus, you can make the coffee as strong or as weak as you personally like it.