Coffee vs Energy drinks

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Gelsemium • May 13, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When we needed to stay up we used to resort to coffee, but with all the energy drinks available on the market right now, many already resort to them. What's your choice? You prefer coffee or energy drinks? What do you think it's cheaper and healthier?

2. sully3333

sully3333Member

Threads:
    I think that coffee is generally healthier, unless you go to Starbucks and pile on everything. However, I never drank energy drinks until college, and I've found that Red Bull is more effective than coffee, at least for me.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really care for energy drinks personally, because they often contain a lot of questionable ingredients that have made me sick at times. I would prefer to stick with something like coffee or tea, which I know what the active ingredients are and I know my tolerance to them. Some of those bottles of energy drinks are actually more than one dose, and people don't realize that, drinking the whole thing and getting very sick as a result. Some of them have even caused my hand and ears to get very red and itchy, in addition to a really rapid heartbeat and lightheartedness.

If you are looking for a quick pick up, I've been told that Tea will actually perk you up faster than coffee. There is something about the caffeine in tea that causes it to get absorbed faster (although it consequently wears off and is metabolized faster). Coffee on the other hand, lingers in your system longer.

4. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Coffee is healthier because you can adjust it to suit your needs. A number of these energy drinks contain a great deal of sugar and most people wouldn't add six to eight teaspoons to their coffee. Coffee (I am referring to basic coffee here) also contains a more controlled dose of caffeine. With some energy drinks there is both caffeine and other caffeine containing "natural" products giving a much higher dose. Finally, a hot cup of coffee is sipped. A cold energy drink on a hot day can go down really quickly. You will be on to the second energy drink before you begin to feel the effect whereas with coffee, you are halfway through the first cup when it begins to perk you up making you less likely to get to that jittery stage.

5. robinegg

robineggMember

Threads:
    I avoid energy drinks at all costs, and I don't drink coffee past 5:00 PM. If I really need to stay up late for whatever reason, I make myself some black tea to keep me awake. Coffee makes me feel queasy as it is, and it really takes a toll on your body to have caffeine in your circulation. That stuff remains in your body for a few days and messes with your stress levels.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think coffee is healthier since I imagine energy drinks are much more filled with chemicals, but on the other hand, I think energy drinks are much more effective at waking up your mind and body. I don't really fancy either, though, and would rather just exercise or move around if I really needed a jump start, but I guess there are situations here and there wherein both could be useful. I'd say energy drinks are better if you're planning on using the jolt for more physical activities while coffee is probably best for long hours of desk work or mental activities.

7. ebby23

ebby23Member

Threads:
    I have never tired an energy drink. I have read many stories of people drinking energy drinks and having bad side affects. Therefore, I stick to coffee drinking coffee. I would not say it's cheaper because the only coffee I drink is Starbucks. In addition, it has to be a frappuccino.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I think that's a wise choice really ebby, energy drinks are a cocktail of bad stuff that really mess with out body. I've drank a couple and they totally disrupt my sleep and my stomach as well.

9. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I think this is the biggest different between me and my husband so far :D Whenever we are going for a long drive I will have a coffee to stay awake and be fresh and he'll be having his favourite energy drinks!

I personally prefer coffee than energy drinks because of the taste. I don't really think about which one is healthier because neither of them are 100% healthy :D

10. Intensity

IntensityNew Member

Threads:
    I used to drink a lot of Coca~Cola products, but those drinks eventually started to do a number on the enamel of my teeth. These days I do drink a rather excessive amount of Coffee, but alast I've recently found that I have at least one kidney stone... ACK! very painful when it's trying to move through to the bladder, so I've tried to cut back on my coffee intake as well :)

11. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I am a sucker for energy drinks. I don't mind coffee, though I rarely drink a hot cup. I just don't like to sip something like that. I am well aware that energy drinks are totally awful for you, but I will always choose them over coffee if I'm looking for a quick burst of energy.

12. Intensity

IntensityNew Member

Threads:
    I used to drink a lot of "Canadian Beaver Buzz" Which was like the Canadian knock off of Red-bull. Great stuff when you mix it with Jager. That stuff get's ya totally buzzin'. LoL But you know what they say, too much of anything is still too much.

13. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Don't these energy drinks mess with your stomach casey? Sure, they give a real energy boost, I've drank my share of Red Bull and there are some flavors that actually don't taste bad lol, but that really messes with my stomach and totally disrupts my sleeping pattern...

14. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure that either choice 'gives you energy.' What they do is more like 'put chemicals in your system that signal your brain to have more of your food turned into energy than -into ... whatever else (new blood-cells & -vessels, hair, nails, various lubricants).'

Coffee is generally more 'natural' chemicals (though I dunno ... what with GMOs overtaking the purely natural plants ...), with the energy-drink ingredients mostly put together in a lab ... probably with a lot HFCS---which is causing massive outbreaks of diabetes (and damages the brain ... somehow).

Where I get most of my energy? Ramen noodles, saltine crackers, canned veggies, fresh fruit, and fast-food! (balanced with 4 or 5 coffees a day)

15. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I never drink energy drinks, coffee is more than enough caffeine for me, plus it tastes much better in my opinion.
    I think energy drinks overdo the caffeine amounts they have and that might be harmful to your body.

16. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer coffee, I can't live without it. Most of the time, I have it on my desk this is why my desktop is positioned just in the kitchen so I can just make coffee every time I want to.

17. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, that's exactly it, not only they overdo caffeine amounts as they also overdo on a lot of nasty and aggressive substances that don't benefit out health. Also, if you take a few you get used to the effect and you no longer feel the energy.

18. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I guess the choice of "neither" is not an option? Hmm, I guess I would go for a decaf coffee lol. I know it defeats the purpose, but regular coffee gives me a horrible headache and so does other energy drinks. I'm guessing that a high dose of caffeine just isn't something for me? ^.^' With that being said, I take neither of the two actually. I'm assuming that the coffee would be cheaper depending on where you get it, maybe its healthier as well, since there is no high dose of sugar in it.

19. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I opt for energy drinks. Coffee tastes bad to me. My favorite energy drink is Kickstart. The other one I like is Amp. They remind me of soda.

20. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Marie, energy drinks are way more unhealthy than coffee, so be careful, don't abuse on energy drinks. To be honest I don't like the taste of either, well, some energy drinks are ok, but I see them for the effects, so I don't take them continuously, just when I need that special boost for a particular job.