Cold water for weight loss

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by iluvmario • Sep 25, 2012.

1. iluvmario

iluvmarioActive Member

Threads:
    I have heard that drinking cold water assists in weight loss. The body has to work harder to warm the cold water and this is supposed to bur calories. Do you think this is true?

2. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I am not sure about this and I have not read facts and research about this too. All I know is that cold water help relax the tired muscles and it also fastens the recovery time of strained muscles. I have not heard about the weight loss thing but I think it is possible physiologically.

3. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    I saw a thread like this on some forum just here and there were lots of explanation on the topic. I'm sure you will stumble upon it and get more information on this! Anyway Cold water does the magic!

4. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I think that statement is partially true. We all know that the daily consumption of water helps to decrease weight and contributes to the good functioning of our body. I don't think the water temperature is a determining factor for accelerating the process descent. I think it's a myth, but you can do the test ... Anyway, if that's true, then you can try by yourself during the summer or spring, because it isn't advisable to drink cold water during seasons with low temperature. The water suppresses the appetite naturally and helps the body to metabolize fats. There are studies that prove that decreasing water intake increases fat deposits and the increase of consumption decrease them. :)

5. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    I have heard of such a thing about cold water before but of course there are also opposing myths such as it being bad to drink cold water after meals since the cold water might hasten the "solidification" of the fats causing them to clog up our arteries more quickly. There are many such myths out there that are not supported by solid research but in this case, I see no harm in increasing one's intake of water be it hot or cold since water is naturally known to be beneficial to our health. If it does indeed help in losing weight then I'll just take that as a bonus!

6. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    It isn't likely to be very true or if it is then the weight loss would be so insignificant as to be pointless. You have to understand that cold or not unless the water is subarctic in temperature you're body isn't even going to suffer a hiccup nevermind have to truly work harder. And of course anything that actually did lower the temperature that much would be a health risk. To use an example - eating snow for water is a bad idea. Jumping into a swimming pool when you are overheated is a bad idea. Drinking water does not equate to either of those things.

7. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I've read about this, and experimented with it too. The effect is not noticeable to write home about. Might as well stick to time-tested methods of burning calories and weight-loss.

8. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Drinking plenty of water speeds the metabolism, dulls the appetite and keeps the body hydrated so that it works efficiently, but water will not significantly help weight loss, unless that's all you're having. Even then, chances are the weight will go back again as soon as you begin to eat normally. There are a lot of myths about water and weight loss, and this is just the latest in a long line.

9. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    When I was younger, drinking a lot of water, room temperature, would flush the fat and you do lose weight. But you must have a weight maintainence program to keep the weight off.

10. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    The total amount of calories burned to digest 16 oz of ice cold water is 17.5. So you'd burn an extra 70 calories a day if you drank eight 8-oz glasses of ice cold water each day. It's not much, but when you add it up over the year, I can see it helping you lose a little. Then again, it would be easy to eat an extra 70 calories a day, too. So you'd still have to watch your caloric intake if you want to lose weight.

11. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I 've only ever heard that water is good for you and assists with weightloss. I've heard that hot water in the morning aids in flushing out the body toxins and cleanses you. Other than cooling the body down, I haven't heard the specifics benefits of cold water on the body. I know my personal preference is ice cold water....ahhh!

12. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure whether or not this is actually true. Nonetheless, water at any temperature is useful for weight loss and your overall health.

13. vjykmr89

vjykmr89Member

Threads:
    Ice cold water will only make a very minimal difference only because your body has to work a little harder to get the water to room temperature. Spicy food, well it make help, but if you eat too much of it you might have a problem when you go #2.

Try eating food high in protein and fiber, such as lots of fruits and veggies. Just remember, a sign of hunger usually means your dehydrated so drink lots of water

14. kristyleann

kristyleannMember

Threads:
    I have heard that too but I'd say it would only help you burn a little bit more calories than usual. But I've also been told (by a nurse that worked at a weight loss clinic) that when you aren't properly hydrated your kidneys have to dump some of their workload onto the liver, which means the liver can't burn fat as efficiently. So staying hydrated helps your liver work at its full ability. But the idea that you need to drink 8 glasses of water a day is a myth, although it doesn't really hurt and it does help suppress your appetite.

15. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    Eating less calories than you are burning off - i.e following a healthy, balanced diet and taking part in regular exercise is the only real way to lose weight as far as I am concerned. Once I had learned to accept that, is when I finally lost the weight I wanted to after years of trying fads and myths in an attempt to shift the weight quicker. I have never heard the cold water theory and, while drinking plenty of water is important for hydration beyond that I am skeptical.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Drinking water and staying hydrated is good for your health overall, but cold water is not a magical fat loss pill.
    There's no real substitute for exercise and reducing your calorie intake.

17. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for that information! I've also heard that drinking water helps in weight loss by speeding up your metabolism and taking away the hunger as well as keeping you hydrated. I say you can't loose here, it has a lot of benifits, so I plan to drink more water!! :)

18. retnam

retnamMember

Threads:
    You can burn about 1 kcal per ounce of ice cold water. It's not going to make much of a difference unless you are doing other things to stay healthy. I prefer my water room temp.

19. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I agree. I think the most important thing is to just drink water! It's vital for good health. So, whether it's hot water, warm water, room temperature water, cool water, or ice cold water - water is water! It has too many benefits, in general, for us to figure out which type of water will help you lose a quarter of a calorie more. Have a great diet, be active, and drink water - that is the truth to great health.

20. pilot2fly

pilot2flyMember

Threads:
    I don't know if this is true. I think cold water helps though. If you finish an intense workout, cold water tastes amazing and I drink lots of it. If it were warm, I probably wouldn't drink as much.