Collecting Airline Forks And Spoons

Discussion in Travel started by Alexandoy • Oct 28, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I inherited this habit from my father. He used to travel around the world and he was able to collect countless of spoons and fork he used when on the plane. Just today, I took a plane to Taiwan. The fork and spoon are elegant and I'm really glad to take it as souvenir. Do you also take souvenirs from the plane? It's not stealing because it's not for material gain.

2. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Alexandoy@Alexandoy I have never thought about that but your post is motivating enough :). I have traveled widely but it never came to my mind that airlines, trans and hotel cutlery could be used as collectors' items. However, I am not ashamed to admit that I have had shampoo and soaps from the hotels on couple of occasions to use them in emergency.

3. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I don't think collecting things is a big deal. However, though, in the US, many fast food places demand that you ask for certain things. It's not like in other places where you can get salt, pepper, etc.. on the table.

Considering the ticket price, it's not a big loss to an airline.

4. LesY

LesYMember

Threads:
    I´ve never though of that! But, as @Ray1@Ray1 said your post is motivating, maybe I´ll try it in my next travel and see how it goes.

The only thing that worries me is if the airline crew can do something to a passenger if they find out he/she took something from the plane, like one thing I´m always worried about is to not get in trouble while I´m abroad and sometimes some countries have really strict rules or laws that I may be breaking by doing that?

5. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Motels/hotels might give you more than needed. In that case, it's not wrong to keep some. It could also save you money as with taking forks and spoons.

I'm assuming forks and spoons come with the ticket price and there are only so many given out. It's not like at a restaurant where they might lay out forks and spoons for customers to take at will, like a buffet.

6. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    That is actually a very fun idea and a great way to have free souvenirs. I never would think of that although sometimes I find myself collection flyers of interesting places I come upon on. I will start collecting other ítems and also see if I have integrated some ítems into a journal for memories.

7. Keibah

KeibahActive Member

Threads:
    Lol. I'm still laughing. This is the funniest thing I've read up in here. This is really not a bad idea though. I'm sure you have a collection already.

8. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    Somethings are just not meant to be taken home, you can buy plastic and disposable forks and spoons for a really low price anywhere.

9. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I never thought of doing anything like that (it's something very unusual to collect... I guess :D). I have a friend who collects soaps (those little ones) from hotels, haha. o_O

10. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    The only things I have collected are shampoo and tea sachets. I have never thought of picking up forks and spoons which I did not know belonged to the user. I wish I had known that and my collections would have been great as I have travelled extensively.

11. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Hahaha same with me and I was very much tempted to keep some of the cutlery provided to us 8 times and some of which we even did not use but then it was all plastic and not worth bringing home. Maybe if they still used German Silver or steel like before I could have taken a risk. However I am looking forward to try something on my next visit to a restaurant but then when I think of the consequences ... you know probably I will not take the risk :).

12. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:

We had a couple who robbed everything they could lay their hands on even an ironing board and bed sheets. They seemed well to do as no one can take these tours if they are poor. May be they were kleptomaniacs.

13. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I think some of the ones they offer these days are made up of plastic in domestic flights. I am not sure about international flights all over the world. But it seems like the spoons are definitely good enough on that part. I don't get to keep them though. It feels tempted top but I can't keep it due to security reasons for sure.

14. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    If it does not pose a problem, why not? But as for me, I would better ask the steward if I could bring them as a souvenir. I am also collecting things from the place which I first visited as my souvenir but I have to ask permission first. If I couldn't make it, I have buy from them.

15. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    In as much as I agree with you on not taking it home, this is a way the poster is saving cost instead of spending money on buying new spoons and forks. No matter how cheap it is, there is a cost attached to getting a new spoon.

Honestly, I don't see any big deal in what you're doing as long as your aim is to save cost on buying those spoons and all that. One thing you should be thinking is a way to turn that into a business where you can rent them out to those doing events. People make lots of money doing same in this part of the world.

#15Dec 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2018