Coloring Hair: Cost And Results

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by ABC123 • Mar 20, 2015.

1. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    Alright, I had a moment of panic a few weeks ago. I bought a discounted box of hair dye from the grocery store. It was suppose to change my darker blonde hair into a medium to light red. After 25 minutes of the stuff on my head and a rinse, I had orange hair. Yes, pumpkin, carrots, Tigger the tiger orange hair. Thankfully I read on the inter net that it was safe to dye again on top of a lighter shade with a darker color. Thankfully again, I had purchase a darker colors a month earlier and decided not to use it. I used it and now I have this interesting red color. It looks normal compared to the orange. Since I had the other box, I did not have to leave The House for everyone in the community to see it. So is it worth it to pay extra and go to the salon to get my hair colored or was it worth to go through what I did already go through. I have to say after a week or so with the new color I like it.

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Oh man! Thanks for sharing. I felt your pain. After a year of doing a henna color I liked, I decided to try something new because my friend gave it to me - it was a big package! And I did it right before vacation; orangie red henny. Not quite Tigger the tiger orange but it was really bad and we took sooooo many family photos. I was really bummed. I have no idea why I experimented like that. But if you've ever seen the film, 'Anne of Green Gables', it was very reminiscent. Now I'm growing it all out because I think I want to go with highlights. The grays were washing out way faster than the rest of my hair with the henna.

3. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    Anne of Green Gables is my favorite and I totally thought of that book when I looked in the mirror. However, I think green hair would had been worse. H.C. Heartland, why didn't you try to dye it again. At least I have no photo evidence.

4. Harmony Lassen

Harmony LassenNew Member

Threads:
    I think doing it at home is always the better option. I have blonde hair, and I've dyed it every shade, including unnatural colors and I always do it in my own bathroom. One thing I've learned is that if the box says to leave it in your hair for 25 minutes, you should leave it in for a least an hour. This is probably why your hair looked orange. The chemicals didn't have time to change your hair to exactly the right shade yet. And as for keeping the color looking nice for a long time, even with cheap dye, wash your hair in cold water, use conditioner, and don't wash your hair every day.

5. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I did the henna thing years ago. Very orange-y on me. I felt like a clown and for quite a while at that, because when I tried to dye over it with something darker it just wouldn't take. Something about the nature of the henna made the new dyes not adhere.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For many years now I have only ever been using natural hair dyes without all the nasty chemicals. My favorite brand is called Surya Brasil. They have a range of henna based hair colors from semi-permanent to permanent. I've been using the natural blonde dye many times now, and I am always happy with the result. It doesn't turn my brown hair blonde but it gives it a beautiful golden tint and covers any stray gray hairs.

7. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only dye my hair at home. I only dye black or bleach, so there's really not too much of a reason to seek a professional when they would cost as much as five-six times more.

8. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I color at home every single time. The boxed at-home colors are so easy to use and as long as you stick to a brand you now and trust, there's little point in paying out all that money at the salon.

9. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    My hair is actually looking good now. It ended up being s red color that looks nice. Never heard of henna. I like the idea of less chemicals. Yes the box said 25 minutes. Usually, I don't leave it on all that time. This time I did. Don't know what went wrong really.

10. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Red hair is super tricky to do at home!! You should go to a hair stylist at least the first couple times. I color my hair at home, but it's only 2 or 3 shades lighter than my natural color and only a lighter brown, so it's very easy to manage at home. But for red or drastic changes I would never do it home.

11. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have gone to the salon once to have my hair dyed red but the result wasn't exactly to my liking. I looked like I had red highlights. The color never seeped through the roots. It only remained on the surface. I didn't know you have to color your hair over and over to achieve the desired result. I had my mom color my hair to light brown and since my hair's already brown, it did turn lighter but not as light as I had hoped it would be. I never went for a second application but after reading what you did, I'm thinking of dyeing my hair light brown again. This time, I'll dye it three times to get the color that I want. I'm crossing my fingers it will work.

12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I have never tried dyeing my own hair. I actually don't know how to do it in the first place and I am pretty hesitant because the result might be horrible. So whenever I want a new hair color, I would just go to the parlor and let the professionals deal with it.

13. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do both. The salon is good for all over as I have long hair, but if it's the roots then I can do that myself. Going lighter or red always has perils, but darker is always okay. I've been coloring my hair for years and in the salon it's best for long hair unless you get a friend to help you for even coverage, but short hair, most people can do by themselves.