Coloring Your Pet's Hair

Discussion in Pets started by DrRipley • Oct 14, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    7704987_f520.

What do you guys think of this practice of dyeing your pets' hair?

I myself have not much problems with it as long as it is proven safe for the animals. If it messes with their biological functions even one bit then I would be totally against it, but I don't think this is the case. As far as embarrassment goes, I don't think the dogs notice it that much either, so again, I don't mind, and if it helps the owners enjoy their pets more and thus makes them feel compelled to shower them with love much more, then I'd say it is a win-win situation.

What do you guys think of this practice? Do you think I am missing some key points in my argument?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've nothing against coloring a pet's fur hair. Whatever pleases anyone as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others and those of their pets, they should do it and get away with it without anyone passing judgment on them. Since looks mean nothing to pets, a slight change wouldn't mean much to them. I'd compare it to dyeing one's hair. It affects no one but makes the person who dyes their hair feel more confident or beautiful. If they want the same for the pet, then great, let them beautify their pets ;)

3. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I do not think colouring a pets hair is really good for them. You might never read it on the spray bottles or on the colouring packets on how badly it effects the dogs , but in reality it does effect their health. Simple things like licking their own furs to clean it up can make them eat the paints.

4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I do not want to color my dog's hair. I think that it is somehow cruel. Can you imagine having your hair dyed blue or red without your consent? It's enough that some owners already personalize their pets too much with dog clothes and accessories. Owners should also realize that animals feel uncomfortable, too.

5. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it is harmful to do it once or twice in a pet's life. Some dogs really like dressing up because they like the attention. We got my beagle a jester style collar that was on clearance just for fun once. He loved wearing it! When we put it on him, he stood up straighter with his head and tail held high. It gave him lots of extra confidence.

6. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think there hurting the dog by going it. There are some natural dye methods that wouldn't make the dog dick if they licked it. If it doesn't bother the dog, and the owners like it then I have no problem with it. I would not dye my dogs fur though. It just seems like to much trouble.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also don't think that dyeing your pet's hair is a bad idea. I actually think that it's cute to look at. Flamboyant pet owners will do that for sure. As long as it does not harm the dog in any way, then I am in favor of it.

#7Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  8. kwriter93

kwriter93Member

Threads:
    Maybe so...

I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea, but I personally probably wouldn't do it to my pets. It kind of makes them seem like they're being used a little more like accessories these days instead of furry parts of the family. So while it's not exactly, bad, I probably wouldn't do it I guess for my own reasons lol. As long as it's safe for the pets though, I guess it's all okay.:)

9. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I personally wouldn't dye my hair's pet, I don't see the point of it. As far as other people go, I think it's fine if they want to do it to their pets. As long as they use a non-toxic dye that doesn't harm their pets I don't see the problem with it.

10. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I think that as long as they use something safe and non toxic it's not such a big deal. I personally wouldn't try to dye my cats, but if someone does it to their pets it doesn't mean they are cruel or bad pet owners.

I do remember one time a pink cat made the news and they said that the color might be dangerous because of the way other animals would react to it. That red in nature is a warning color. So that's something people should keep in mind. If they have multiple pets or if they have a cat that goes outside dying it a bright color might make the others treat it differently.

11. Hamz10

Hamz10Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't do it near there mouths even it it's non-toxic. There are always risks involved like going into their lungs or eyes. But as long as it doesn't irritate them. It should be fine!