Comfortable High Heels?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by FlanneryCam • Sep 14, 2012.

1. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    I'm in the market for some feet-friendly high Heels. I work as a professor teaching at a university so I walk across campus a lot! I'm also standing most of the day so I need heels that are easy on the feet. The heels don't have to be too high, just professional enough for my business casual (and occasionally dressy) wardrobe. Help!

I'm also looking for winter shoes that are fancy enough for teaching but winter-friendly too.

I have size 10 feet, wide.

Am I being way unresonable?

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think it's unreasonable. I wear a size ten medium. You can find comfortable heels, but they are not cheap. Aerosoles and Naturalizer make professional, style comfortable heels.

3. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Anything with a relatively low heel should be comfortable enough. Also, you might want to think about wedges instead of heels. High wedges are infinitely more comfortable than high heels. Personally, I don't really like the way they look on me, but if I had to stand and walk in high heels all day, I'd make it a point to get used to them, haha!

4. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I believe anything shoe with a 2 1/2 inch or lower heel would be comfortable. Its best to browse online sites to see if you find something professional, affordable, and comfy enough. Also, you could check your local shoe stores. It's great to try shoes on and see how it feels before buying them.

5. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I have no idea if there is such thing as a comfortable pair of heels. But I do wear naturalizers and they are way more comfortable than any other pair of shoes than I have ever worn. I wear the 2 1/2 inch heel and they are really comfortable to me. Since you walk all day I think they would do you a world of good. And another one as some one said is wedges, try those and see how you like them. But if I were you, I would stick to wearing nice flats because as the years go by, you will have a lot of problems out of your feet and you do not want that, especially wearing those heels everyday.

6. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    I have a full collection of flats but sometimes an outfit calls for heels. I find that some of my dresses or skirts with flats look was less professional than they should for the occasion. In my profession, I need to exhibit professionalism until I get a real job--ie, get hired in a tenure track job (fingers crosssed, toes too)!

I find my problem is that heels are comfy in the store. But when I've worn them for 20 minutes the pain starts to set it. Mostly because my feet start to swell a little. Should I be buying them a little bigger?

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always do my shoe shopping late in the day after a full day working, walking around everything else. This is something I learned from my grandmother. This really helps me to buy shoes that are fairly painless. Otherwise, you can try a half size bigger.

8. jaimie_lorraine

jaimie_lorraineMember

Threads:
    I would definitely look into getting wedges instead of high heels. Wedges are still appropriate for work and look dressy and do not hurt your feet as much. I am a big fan of wedges and will wear them over heals any day. piperlime.com has a great selection of different styles and sizes. As for winter shoes that are professional and comfortable I would look at designer shoe warehouse online (

) They have a great selection of winter boots and heels that come in different sizes. Good luck!

9. workingmama

workingmamaNew Member

Threads:
    I also recommend wedges. I love high heels, but if I know I'm going to be on my feet a lot I always go for the wedges - way more comfortable. Unfortunately I don't think they would work well for you in the winter. If I'm wrong someone please let me know! But most wedges I've seen have all be more spring - autumn wear.

Have you tried high heel boots? I find them more comfortable too than regular high heel shoes. Now I know sometimes with boots if you aren't careful they can either be too casual looking or have that hooker look that a teacher probably isn't going for :D. But there are a lot of conservative heeled boots that look great with skirts, dresses or pants that would work great for the winter. I love Ross, TJ Maxx, and Burlington Coat Factory for all kinds of shoes.
    Good luck :)

10. iampeebs

iampeebsMember

Threads:
    I recommend wedges too. I can wear these all day with no problems. I never wear flats and could run a mike race in my wedges. My son made a comment of my closet of them and said "look at all mom's wedgies".

11. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    Oh my gosh, I feel really silly for not thinking of this before hand! :) If I'm going shopping, it's usually on my day off and I'll sleep in, relax and then head out to the stores... with fresh feet. Of course things are going to fit and feel fabulous when I'm shopping.

Head/desk. I cannot believe I hadn't thought of this. Really.

This has been revelatory for me! Thanks a bunch!

12. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    My vote too goes for wedges. I find they provide more arch support than normal heels, so can be more comfortable for all-day use at work - either for standing or walking around.

13. HighHeels

HighHeelsNew Member

Threads:
    I agree with you, online sites contains a large collection of high heels and you can buy these high heels at affordable prices.

14. Yuvastyleindia

YuvastyleindiaMember

Threads:
    You should wear heel in which you feel that it is comfortable enough to for long distance walking or long time standing. So high heels is not a nice option because high heels are creating problem for long distances. Medium heels will be perfect as you are a teacher and standing most of the time. You can get branded medium heels sandals at online stores easily.

15. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I'm thinking if there is high heel shoes that are comfortable to use. As much as possible I don't wear one because I can't tolerate it. I think whether the the shoes are branded or not, the soles are soft it will still cause pain. I don't think it's because of the materials used in the shoes but the position of your feet that makes it unbelievably uncomfortable.