Commercial software is safer to use?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Denis Hard • Apr 9, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Everyone likes to save money and if you can get something free, why should you pay?

Some experts in matters relating to computers seem to disagree. Most free software people use, they say, cause problems to their computers. Problems which when fixed are more expensive than paying 15 bucks for commercial software and save yourself all that hassle, worry and money.

Is this a marketing gimmick to promote software you have to buy?

p.s I've used free software for five years now and my computer runs as well as it did back then.

2. Rusky

RuskyMember

Threads:
    I believe the problem is that a lot of free software out there is...iffy at best. So, if you go about downloading a ton of different free software, you're going to encounter some that is damaging your computer instead of helping you. But if you stick to the big companies like Avast, Malwayre Bytes etc, you should be fine with their free versions. They even offer free upgrades for a month or two.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've always liked trying out free software whenever I get it but if someone aren't so great, how can we know if one will be potentially destructive to one's computer? For example, there are thousands of media players to choose from and VLC, probably the best of them may not be everyone's favorite.

Would playing safe mean that you use something that you don't like?

4. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    You can see how people normally go to torrent site to download some already cracked software. What they do not know is that those cracks can be also viruses that can be used to collect information from your computer. It is just good to buy your software that has full support so when you have issues you get sorted.

5. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    No they are not safer.

Software is all the same. All you have to is scan the program with your Anti Virus software before installing it. If a virus is in it. The Anti Virus software will find it. If nothing is found you should be good to go.

You can also install the program in sanboxie. That prevent any chance of infecting you computer. The program will be installed to the sanbox instead of your computer. That way it cannot alter your system files.

6. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, its a matter of knowing the site you are downloading from is reputable/safe or whatever. Of course if you download your software frequently from bittorent you are going to run into more security hazards or risks but that is to be expected. Having reliable antivirus protection is important too.

7. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    If anyone has the sense to download those torrents, they also have enough sense to check the comments, which will say if it is a virus or not.

8. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Well, some free software aren't really that safe. Some of them installs unwanted software and adware on your computer, which is a real bummer. These "free softwares" relies on marketing and advertising to be able to make a profit so even if the software is free, there bound to be something shady going on in the background.

9. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I think that the only thing that is very scary to attach to your computer is a virus. Any of the normal products are not so dangerous. Whether their free or paid for I doubt that your computer will have any problems in reading and engaging in various software. I think that this is just a rumor and there is really no truth to any of this. I have been using free software since the beginning of time. My computers have never crashed because of the free stuff. Most of the major projects I work on from free software. So I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that software that is available for free can do pretty well just as software you purchase.

10. fivebyfive

fivebyfiveNew Member

Threads:
    Commercial software, in my opinion and experience, tends to be safer since they primarily rely on profits to keep them working keep them employed. I'm always wary of using any kind of software that was created by a group of people who are not licensed software engineers or who, worse yet, have simply altered open code.

11. Aquila

AquilaBanned

Threads:
    Yeah i guess they really are and compare to the other ones it can be a little safer because finally they are made for some decent purpose what does matter at the end in a way so yeah this is the way how it all works.I am pretty sure of that and it works.

12. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A lot of unreliable free software comes with add on downloads with extra software that will wreck your computer. The original software you want often doesn't have any problems and own't cause problems. If you're smart enough to decline the downloads for add on software, then you'll be fine. Free software is just as useful as paid software today.

13. oldwriter

oldwriterMember

Threads:
    FREE software (free, as in freedom) is reputed to be more secure than closed source commercial software.

I think the confusion come from "FREEWARE" software, which costs no money (GRATIS), but usually doesn't have the required safety standards and auditability.

Free and open source software is commonly used by companies, even large ones, so it is assumed to be quite secure.

14. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on the free software. As one example, let's look at forum software. PhpBB has good support but your support is on a waiting list and the people helping you aren't going to always behave like managers at a grocery store. Also, you're going to have to do more work. For instance, there is no one-click install to put a banner up. Instead, you have to edit the code.

15. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Gimp, VLC ,7Zip and Libre office are free softwares and I preferred them over commercial counterparts. There are times instances when free software are better than the commercially mainstream and expensive ones.