Commercials That Bug Me (Cell Phone)

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by olorien • Oct 2, 2012.

1. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    The advertising cell phone companies use is really over the top. The message they are sending in an attempt to gain more customers encourages an unhealthy dependency and sends the wrong message. I like my gadgets just as much as the next person, but I have to set limits or work will not get done. The AT&T commercial that wants to advertise the most coverage area uses the guy with a big smile as he travels all over the country. He's happy and fulfilled because he has cell phone coverage. The "Droid does" commercial shows the family in the tent and it's raining, but instead of playing a board game or telling stories, they're watching a video. That just doesn't seem right. Along with the products cell phone companies are trying to sell, they also seem to selling happiness and fulfillment.

2. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    That's what advertisements are supposed to do. They're supposed to appeal to emotions and make you feel like you need the item, even if you don't.

3. rebellemckenna

rebellemckennaNew Member

Threads:
    I'm annoyed with the Verizon advertisement where they show multiple charts stating that they have the most coverage than other phone companies. I know that's what they're supposed to do but as stated above advertisements are meant to make me feel like I want the product not be annoyed with the tactics they're using to advertise their product.

4. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Well, the thing is any form of advertising has to play to the largest crowd and/or the lowest common denominator. So what ends up happening is that there is a group like you who feels turned off, but according to market trends/studies/indicators a far more significant number finds this tactic to be effective. So even though they risk losing your response, they are quite happy to take that risk if it mean more potential customers.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    This thread had me thinking of that Sprint commercial from last year with the lady screaming over the spider on her phone. That was one of the most obnoxious commercials. It's bad enough that cable already raised the volume on advertisements over regular programming, but when the advertisers themselves start using gimmicks like this for attention, it makes TV unwatchable.

6. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    And as an example of how pointless advertisement can be - I do not in anyway remember this commerical. The only commerical involving a spider I recall is the one where the guy got beat up by the spider. I think the commerical was for food - either Doritos or Starbursts.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate the T Mobile "Choose your own spokesperson" commercials hosted by Luis Guzman. Both of the actors auditioning to be the spokesperson are cheesy. They should have just made Luis Guzman the spokesperson. I kind of like the "crazy generous" cell phone commercials because I like the international vibe and multicultural extras.