Companion Deals

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Diane Lane • Jan 20, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I shop on eBay a lot, but I've seen this type of thing on Amazon and other sites, as well. When I buy something, I get ads on the bottom or side of the page telling me about deals that usually somehow relate to the item I'm purchasing (or have placed in my shopping cart on the site.) A lot of times, I'm only in the market for the one item I've selected, and don't have time or money to look around and purchase other items, but sometimes I find this feature helpful.

Have y'all noticed this, and if so, do you like it or not? Have you purchased items that have been suggested during or after a purchase?

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have noticed these things. I ususually am only focused on the item I am buying though. I think there are times when these deals come in handy though and can make your life easier. I just don't typically buy something I can't use immediately though, and some of the deals I have seen would make life easier if you need the item or will need it down the road. I think some are quite good.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I believe that this sort of marketing doesn't benefit the shoppers. It's just the companies/sellers trying to get more money from someone buying something from them. That's why I always buy only what I had planned to [buy] even though I might notice there is something else which I might need. I could always buy it later if I really need it.

4. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I like the way they do it on Amazon. Down below the item you're looking at, it shows related items that others have purchased along with the one you're viewing. I think it's usually 3 that are shown, the one I'm looking at, then two others. It can come in handy, especially if I'm researching something that's new to me. When I was looking into making the ricotta cheese, I really wasn't sure what I'd need for the process. When I looked up the jam bags on Amazon, it showed a few other items that are often used in to make food items, and if I hadn't already had a strainer, I might have purchased the one they showed. Sometimes I'll put those items in my Wish List for later consideration.

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really tend to go on comparison deal websites, although I know that many of them exist. I usually get one item or product in mind, and if I don't like the price of it from one retailer, then I will feel compelled to look around the internet and compare the deals and prices. I usually find the best deals on Ebay.

6. jamesfende

jamesfendeMember

Threads:
    I have been using pricedropdonkey as a comparison site as it shows any discount applied to products in the last few days from all online retailers, in one place. I have noticed the advert thing too. I have to say that I haven't ever clicked through to one, but they certainly don't annoy me in anyway as someone's advert would have been there, so it might as well be related in some way to something I have searched for.

I have noticed that if I go onto

and look at a hotel or resort that those appear over the next few days and I thought that was useful and a possible time I may click on the advert.

#6Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2016
  7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, I had never heard of Pricedropdonkey before :) Thank you so much for linking me to it ;) I have only ever been on comarethemarket, and moneysavingexpert, but I have never been to them through seeking them out actively. But through looking for certain things on Google, those sites will sometimes come up.

#7Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2016
  8. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I have noticed the suggested items on the bottom of the screen while shopping online at websites such as ebay, Amazon, Target, and Walmart. I have actually found better deals on gifts I intended to purchase by paying attention to the recommended items. Often the recommended items are similar to the item that I am already viewing, but it may be less expensive or have better reviews. Paying attention to the recommended items related to your search may end up saving you money on your purchase.

9. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I've made a few extra purchases lately, since I have a lot of birthdays this time of year, and have also needed to replenish my supplies for the shops. I have seen some really good deals in this way, and have also saved some money. I like the feature, since it's not intrusive. It's usually off to the side, or down below what I'm looking at. I like this way of doing things so much better than pop-up ads blocking what I'm trying to look at, and annoying me.