Complaining To A Store's Website, Does It Actually Help ?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Happyflowerlady • Sep 27, 2016.

1. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have had mixed experiences with this. Sometimes, when you write to a company from their website, they do not even acknowledge your email and send one of those automated answers that at least let you know that your message went through.
    Some other businesses will answer personally, and still only say thanks for letting them know and they will pass it along to the stor manager.
    Then, there is the awesome business that actually cares, and they will apologize for whatever went wrong at their store, and maybe even send you a coupon to use the next time that you go there.
    Aldi's is my favorite this far. We got a bad watermelon, but of course, we didn't know that until we were home and opened it up, and it was horrible inside, like it had been frozen.
    I went to the website and left a message, and they mailed me a $10 gift certificate for the next time we shopped there. It was WAY more than the cost of the watermelon.

2. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    I personally think that companies only have their customer support features for answering doubts and posible solutions to certain problems, other than that, they're just useless when it comes to returning merchandise and refunds.

3. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    It is when those complaints come from several outputs (recurring clients, specially). An isolated case probably they don't bother much if is over a minor thing, like a shipment delay or something like that. But for a security issue or scams victims you can bet they will move their asses as soon as possible before the bad reputation spreads widly across internet.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I both praise and complain when either is due. I'm considering emailing Pizza Hut regarding my last visit, because the service was not good (disorganized) and to give them my thoughts on their new menu.

Sometimes you get an apology, a thank you for your feedback or a small gift. I complained about a self-checkout that broke down and we weren't credited with our loyalty points as we scanned a coupon. The store apologized and gave us an additional 500 points for the inconvenience. That made my dad happier.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whether it is a real store or online store, when there is a complaint then you should complain. When you get a response then that means the store, particularly an online store, is worth your salt. And when there is no action on your complaint then that means the store doesn't care for their customers and you can post your complaint in social media as the venue (since the store did not respond). As a consumer, we have the right to complain.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think every customer is totally within their rights to complain to a store whether it's online or offline. On the whole, I've always had my complaints addressed by both. I've heard a few horror stories in relation to online stores which simply don't bother to communicate, but I've been very lucky with my online stores. None of them really give me any reason to complain. But the very few times I have complained, it's been a very smooth experience and I had my concerns adequately addressed.
    I think every customer is totally within their rights to complain to a store whether it's online or offline. On the whole, I've always had my complaints addressed by both. I've heard a few horror stories in relation to online stores which simply don't bother to communicate, but I've been very lucky with my online stores. None of them really give me any reason to complain. But the very few times I have complained, it's been a very smooth experience and I had my concerns adequately addressed.

7. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    You're right, some when dealing with complaints, some stores care and they apologize for any inconvenience, listen to your feedback and try to learn from it (if there is in-fact knowledge to be gleaned from a certain complaint). They try to make things better.

I've complained about customer service performance, or store function. Businesses that actually want their company to have a good relationship with the customer will get back to you and communicate with you in a positive manner.

I've also left feedback when I was really pleased with service. Much more pleasant to give that kind of report than having to complain, but sometimes a complaint is a necessary tool that one has to use.

8. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't usually bother going to a company's website. I will, however, complain or praise them via social media. Which social media site I use depends on where I am and what method I have of connecting to the internet. I will sometimes post something quick on Twitter via my phone, or if I'm home and near the office, I might get on Facebook and post my feedback. I've had decent responses on both, but my recent post about UPS went unanswered. I might have to take that to Facebook. I've also communicated via Instagram with a few companies.

9. Happyflowerlady

Threads:
    Thank you for that post, @Diane Lane@Diane Lane ! I was thinking that maybe just going to the Facebook page and writing what happened might be even better than communicating with the company through their website contact email . I probably will do that also about the issue with Walgreens , I am still upset with them ! !
    They are suposed to give you Walgreen Points when you shop and use the card, and the sticker beneath the keto stick that I bought said they were giving 2,000 points for that purchase; but then it was not credited to me. So besides charging me $20 for something that sells on Amazon for $7, they didn't even give me the points. Plus, the sticker price said it should have only cost $10 , but they said the $10 size was out of stock.
    Altogether, I am very displeased with Walgreens. I have never liked that store, and it seems like every trip there makes me dislike them even more.

10. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am the type of person that will tell anyone who will listen. That goes for both bad and good experiences. If I like a store (or restaurant etc.), and I have a great experience, I'll let everyone know. I like to share good deals with others. On the other hand, if I have a terrible experience, I will make sure to warn other people as well.

I am not a big fan of social media, but yes, @Corzhens@Corzhens, you are right. That is a great resource for telling it like it is. These companies can't hide the complaints so easily any more. The BBB doesn't really seem to do much, but social media exposure can get the point across.

There are also lots of consumer sites where you can list complaints (or praises), and you can also leave a Google review (which will probably get a good deal of exposure).

11. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Zyni@Zyni, the public is now empowered by the social media. As long as your complaint against a store is legitimate, you can always post it in social media to at least create awareness especially when the store has clearly shortchanged the buyer. And you are right in getting the point across especially when the post gets viral. However, you have to be discerning because posting a false complaint can land you in trouble.

12. Aree Wongwanlee

Aree WongwanleeActive Member

Threads:
    I have never done this before. That's probably because I have never bought anything tangible online. What I have bought online are virtual products. For such products, we have forums to forward our complaints. I think this is more effective than complaining to the store's website. When you present your case in an open forum, the company in question is obliged to give an answer. If the forum you are on has a very big and vocal community, so much the better.

13. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like Walgreens either, and the staff don't seem to care very much. I would complain via social media and via the contact form online. I find the points system to be a bit of a rip off there too.

Often at store level things 'can't be done' as they need authorization, and at least at head office they can be done much quicker. They just don't like bad publicity and name the branch too. The least they can do is give you points equivalent to the $10 as a gesture of goodwill and the missing points.

14. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes complaining in Botswana doesn't get you anywhere, because people never seem to deviate away from set rules and regulations. People aren't encouraged to think creatively, outside the box. I'll sometimes try to escalate my complaint to the highest raking person in the establishment, but if I'm not given access to them, there's other means )

Thank God for advances in technology and social media platforms. We have this Facebook page called 'name and shame' and if I feel an injustice, I take to it with gusto. Many people do the same and because it's such a popular page, no service provider wants to be seen on it for all the wrong reasons :)

15. oportosanto

oportosantoNew Member

Threads:
    Well, this is a really good question. I think we should always put in the effort to get a fair treatment, so if something unfair happened in a store we should go for it an complain. Sure, it's something that it's hard work and many times we don't even get an answer, but we should do it and eventually put in on Facebook too, the more we complain, the more likely we are to get things working properly.

16. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't deal with Walgreens much. I'm not sure what that is, because there's one just next to my Kroger. I did get a flu shot there a few years back and they were great, very nice and accommodating. I do think their prices are somewhat higher, but then again, so are CVS's. I think perhaps that's why I don't go much, I have learned to avoid all manner of 'drug' stores over the years, due to the high prices.

I agree, social media does put the ball in the customers' court and somewhat level the playing field so that we now have a voice and can get the word out about any mistreatment. It doesn't seem to work for cable providers, unfortunately, otherwise I'd probably have free service for life.

17. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I too will praise if it is legitimate, and complain if I have a particular problem. In most cases, I have been compensated fairly by a company. One time I complained to Terrachips, because my chips were soggy and mushy and not crisp when I opened the bag. They gave me several coupons for replacement products. Some stores are more than fair, one time in a restaurant,(Mimi's Cafe} new one...the manager asked how my food was, I said that the bread on the club wasn't toasted, but it was no big deal...and they gave me a gift certificate for 30 dollars!

18. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Okay, Pizza Hut responded very quickly and are posting me a gift certificate. It's a gesture, and while some people don't get them, it's because my reasons were valid. How can a restaurant have no clean salad bowls on a Saturday night when there are only 4 tables with people? As I said to them, imagine the chaos if the place was actually full.

I don't know how much it will be, but at least I have said my peace. Regardless, it won't be a place I will go to unless there is no other choice.

19. Happyflowerlady

Threads:
    So far, Walgreens has not so much as acknowledged that I wrote to them, much less responded , even with an automatically generated email to say they got my message. Obviously, customer service is no where near the top of their concerns.
    I forgot about going to the facebook page; but now I can also add that there was no response when I contacted them , so even that didn't do any good.
    I agree with you, @Diane Lane@Diane Lane , and I also avoid drug stores unless it is somethingI can't find elsewhere and need right away. Walgreens always has something advertised with a good price on their store billboard; but that is just to lure people inside, and the rest of the products are always WAY overpriced, at least in my opinion.

20. HappyKoi

HappyKoiNew Member

Threads:
    As someone who has worked on the retail end, I would honestly say that it depends. Yes, people do read these, but sometimes the complaints we get are things that the store simply can't do anything about. When the store was being remodeled, we had a lot of complaints from customers that things had moved and they couldn't find anything. The employees had the same problem, and there wasn't much we could do about it. I was amazed that the store stayed open because of all the work that was done over those months (and this was a company-wide remodel, so nothing was really wrong with the store). Often serious complaints, like ice in the parking lot, are handled as best we can. We try our best, but no one has a magic wand. If there is a complaint about a specific employee or specific employee behavior, it usually gets passed down pretty quickly, as do compliments (and please send those in- we love those, and they make me want to work harder overall). Usually the complaints on the website are read by someone at corporate, so it might take a day to a week or so for the message to get to the individual store.