Composting - Instant compost anyone

Discussion in Home & Garden started by maddie • Nov 28, 2012.

1. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When you grind up the kitchen waste do you use a blender or grinder? I usually just throw them outside in the yard and turn them into the soil. It is cold in my area right now but I would like to get some worms to use in my compost would they have to be kept inside or can they go outside? I don't think my daughter would be comfortable with worms in the house.

2. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    ROFLOL, Winnie! I completely understand, that's just how I felt after learning about the Modern Toilet restaurant in Asia. Why someone would want to sit on a chair that was a toilet and eat from a dish that was a toilet is beyond me. Then there were the menu items...

3. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Pat, I don't have a yard.. I have a container garden in my balcony. So I don't throw stuff into the yard. Well if you want your worms to be outside.. you could dig a pit and throw the kitchen scraps and some worms into it and cover it with some soil.. The worms will still do the job I guess.. I keep mine in my balcony in a small bin and they stay right in there.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    During the summer I can see having a pit or a container to put the worms in outside, but it is winter time now can you put them outside during the winter?

5. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Pat, where I live there is hardly any winter.. I really do not know where earth worms go for winter.. I guess they bury deep into the muck. :) right in the pit.