Computer Storage - Hard Disk Drive Vs Solid State Drive

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Corzhens • Sep 21, 2016.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is an ongoing fight between the traditional hard disk drive (HDD) that we all know against the pretender called solid state drive (SSD). It is claimed that SSD is safer and more durable since it has no moving parts unlike the HDD which has a rotating head that spins when it accesses data. But for heavy users of data, the SSD is more expensive and it comes in smaller packs only like 256 GB while the HDD has 2 TB or more in size. But honestly, I am desiring to have an SSD for our planned new computer.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    More and more people are switching to SSD drives because they are faster, and last a whole lot longer than traditional HDDs. Though they are pricier for someone who doesn't want to replace their HDDs often, SSD drives are the better choice. I'm sure in a few years they'll be cheaper than they are currently.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard a little about this battle, but haven't really delved into the details. Since I'm on a tight budget right now, I'm sure any computer or laptop I purchase will still have a hard disk drive, but of course I'm intrigued by the SSDs. I like the idea of my data being secure, and for now, I keep it backed up on two separate drives, just to be sure it will be there when I need it. I think Denis is correct, and the price of the SDDs will eventually decrease, and by then, maybe I can obtain one.

4. haivu721vn

haivu721vnMember

Threads:
    SSD = Much faster; much longer lifespan, but very expensive and low storage.
    HDD = Cheap, more space for data storing, but very slow and doesn't live long.

If I had enough money I'll just get a SSD to put my OS and programs on it and store my data on the slow HDD.

Anyway the prices of SSDs are being reduced. I think in a few years they'll be cheaper than they are now.