Computer Stuck And Can't Get To Desktop...

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by MrsJones • Apr 27, 2016.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    This has happened to me a few years ago and Microsoft's support number popped up on the screen and I called it. I went through all the steps only to end up getting a sales pitch to avoid it happening in the future. I really felt uncomfortable about it but I purchased the least expensive plan for a year. It happened to my husband's laptop just yesterday.

Any suggestions to avoid the additional support cost?

2. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Two ways I can think of:
    1. Become your own tech-support. Buy your computer with NOTHING pre-loaded (or--even better--'unload' EVERYTHING that your computer comes loaded-with, and then reload it yourself). That way, you know how everything's on there that SHOULD be on there. Or
    2. Realize that you're paying THEM to do that so that you don't have to! ;)

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You don't have to pay anyone to "fix" your software related computer issues because there's free information all over the internet and even if you don't find what you are looking for, find a good "computer forum" [and related technical support forums] and I'm sure the members will be more than willing to help you.

4. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, you can try to fix the computer yourself. Maybe we can help you. Just give a little bit more details of the problem so that we know specifically what to advise you.

Is your computer running on windows 8?
    What was the last thing you did before the problem occured?
    When you say stuck, where is it stuck?what is shown in the screen?

Additional info would be nice...

5. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    The problem has been resolved for now. Thank you for the offer to help but I restored my husband's laptop back to the factory settings. He didn't lose any of his information because it was not on the hard drive.

To answer your questions though, it is Windows 7. He was doing studies online when he couldn't continue. Any effort we made to reach the task manager to quit were unsuccessful.

6. NickJonathan98

NickJonathan98Member

Threads:
    Hello MrsJones.

I would like to suggest to change all passwords that were used (typed) in your husband's computer since it seems like the computer was infected by a virus. There are some viruses that have a 'keylogger' (logs every key your press) embedded which can be used to steal your passwords.

7. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    @NickJonathan98@NickJonathan98. Now this is very interesting. I appreciate the heads up and will tell my husband to do that. I hope other readers will take heed of this advice as well. Thank you.

8. Norjak71

Norjak71Member

Threads:
    It's a virus don't ever call that number. They claim your computer is infected and really they just want you to purchase your software even though it has nothing to do with the actual fix. Follow these steps:

1: Reboot your computer in safe-mode with networking (press f8 repeatedly upon restart and click that option)
    2: Download the following programs, all free (Anti-Malware malwarebytes, advanced system care, CCcleaner)
    3: Do a scan in malware bytes (full-scan) and remove everything that it finds at the end of the scan
    4: Run advanced system care and check all options and repeat the same steps as above, remove everything.
    5: Run CCcleaner and delete all history, temp files, cookies
    6: Run CCcleaner again and click the registry button, should be 2nd on the list to your left, back up your registry first, it will prompt you to do this, then click 'fix'
    7: Go to your start menu, type (msconfig) <-- without the parenthesis, click 'startup' on the tab, and check 'none'
    8: It will prompt you to restart your computer for changes to take effect.
    9: Restart, and you should be good to go, it's worked for me hopefully this is your fix as well.

I suggest you do this weekly as well just to clear up anything. It's amazing how much our files and systems get junked up with stuff just for surfing google in it's own. Any questions just reply or shoot me a message. Good luck!

9. sharatharadhya

sharatharadhyaMember

Threads:
    I would like to make a suggestion. I would recommend that you store all your Data on an external Storage Device. At times like these, you can make a fresh install of Windows 7 and all of your Data would be safe on your HDD. I strongly recommend you don't pay a penny as every Microsoft Windows OS comes with free assistance within the period of expiry for that OS. I also recommend that you get your computer updated to Windows 10. It should get rid of all the bloatware and make sure your computer is running well.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm glad that your problem has already been resolved. I would suggest that you try to look for the solution to your problem on Youtube, that's what I do when I want to fix something myself, and it I have moderate success in applying it in real life.