Computer Updates

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by to7update • Dec 15, 2016.

1. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Simple question, do you do the updates your computer asks you to without looking or you check them out and select those that are relevant? I usually do the last, but just yesterday I updated (in a hurry) without watching and this morning I was only able to start the computer using the "last good working configuration" option...

2. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Well my PC is running on Windows 10 and I don't actually see an option to not auto update. I would really want to choose whether to update my PC or not, or the softwares in it. But it does not let me choose. It just automatically update by itself even without my permission :(

3. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Every now and then my computer keep alerting me to update programs on my system. I fear the implications should I get it wrongly by rushing to follow the instructions. I hardly do the update my computer request me. If were a trained computer personnel then I'd know what to do better.

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always adhere to the time-tested rule.... why fix it if it aint broke? As long as my computer and phone can give me the service that I need, updates and upgrades are useless. My phone browser has an offer of update but I ignore it. Likewise with the OS of my home desktop, I have no intention of confusing myself with Windows 10.

5. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    The issue with updates is that they are automatic, and we have to be honest, some of them are necessary. The issue is that when implementing something new, things might go wrong and that is a problem. It's the first time that happen to me, and with such an old computer, maybe it's just dying on me.

6. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I usually ignore the updates alerts. I wouldn't want to change any of my PCs settings unless it is necessary, if the PC is working fine then I don't update. I do like having the choice to whether or not upgrade and the settings I would like to change.

7. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I would not advise you to ignore those update alerts @kamai@kamai, because even if some of the updates are unnecessary, others might be security updates that make your computer safer against viruses and malware. So the best option is to screen the updates that we really need, in my opinion.

8. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you for the advice. My computer tends to give me the same alert every time so maybe my system is already messed up and I forgot to mention this in my last post. I have tried to upgrade but won't so I just ignore it now to prevent any changes.

Do you have any advice on how I can solve this problem?

9. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    I do not update my computer but I do update my anti-virus. My computer works quite well even if it isn't updated. We had this laptop which was running on windows 8. When it was new, it worked well, and then the updates came up. It asks for updates every 3 days which was hilarious. And every time we update it, it would lag or run super slow or just shut down out. We sold it because me and my wife got so pissed.

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My new computer just got it in Nov. is freezing on me and luckily I got my warranty and tech support. It's a Dell Inspiron and the tech support helps so much even more so since I'm so hopelessly user friendly, lol. I have constant updates and find it annoying, so I asked the tech at Dell and since it's from Windows it's safe and necessary. Now the freezing and my mouse image shakes sometime, could be from other sources, which ic3.gov can stop the bad ones doing such attacks. I did pose the query if I got a lemon, we are going to check diagnostics soon. See if you got a tech service or a site where you can ask questions like a computer tech site for help too, good luck.

11. serbog

serbogMember

Threads:
    My Windows 10 updates itself whenever it wants and I don't like that. Sometimes I fill my C directory so it won't have space to download the files and it cancels it which is nice.

12. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    No problem. :) You were trying to upgrade from Windows 7 to another operating system, maybe Windows 10? The time for that free upgrade has passed, so I really don't know how I can do that now. As for the updates, it's just a matter of seeing the advanced options when they appear and just select the security options or service packs, those are really necessary.

13. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Very true. Some updates are meant to fix security loopholes and that is why they are very important. As our system is exposed to new types of vulnerabilities day by day it is very important to keep it updated with security patches. I think the best way is to set it to alert you when there is a need for update. If you activate automatic update option it will do without your knowledge. If your PC is not using a particular service I think there is no need to keep it updated.

14. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    That's what I do, I have my system configured to alert me when updates are available. As soon as I see that notification, I check which updates those are and I install the ones I want. For example, if there is an update for Outlook, that I don't use, I simply don't select it.

15. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I'm using Windows 8 and my laptop was unusable for almost a day because Windows went into automatic update. Thankfully, I had a netbook and I've emailed myself the file that I was working on. My job order would have been cancelled if not for the extra precaution I've taken of attaching the latest saved copy of the file on a recent email (my flash drive had some directory errors and needed formatting). I hope I can find time to look for the option not to allow automatic update so this won't happen again.

16. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    That is the usual problem when the computer is set to an automatic update for any installed apps or applications/program for your installed program in your system. Well, in my case, I would set the setting for that update with my permission. I am very careful with that especially on upgrading the system for it would endanger your present, working system.

17. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:

I never update my computer anymore. I updated my computer once and it updated flash along with it. When I tried opening a program I usually use, it kept crashing. I didn't know why exactly but I knew that it was flash. I then just decided to restore the previous version of flash and it worked again. It was the security flash update. Updating is complete garbage sometimes. It's not worth the risk. It can completely crash your computer which it once did and it was work trying to restore it. I thought it was going to cost me my computer. Ever since I stopped updating, I had no problems. If you want to stop automatic updates, make your connection metered.

18. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, that can happen, some updates go wrong and we have our system all messed up. Sometimes I do wonder what is the need for so many updates, but I am not a programmer. I do know that Windows have a lot more bugs than Apple devices, but not being an Apple user I cannot advise on these as well. Just struggling! :)