Consignment shops?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by mirage1440 • Apr 18, 2012.

1. mirage1440

mirage1440Member

Threads:
    Recently I have been noticing that it is cheaper to buy clothes for my kids off the clearance racks at major stores rather than buy used from a consignment shop. Has anyone else noticed this trend, or is it just in my area?

2. Hickorycottage

HickorycottageMember

Threads:
    Yes, I have. I buy very little from consignment shops, plus the places make me sneeze-there's usually the perpetual candle or potpourri smell to try to cover up the dust. Gak! I usually buy clothes for my child at yard sales and clearance racks.

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    When my kids were younger, I seemed to find a lot of really good deals on the clearance racks at Target and ShopKo. Our local mall also would have a sidewalk sale inside the mall once a year that you could really get some great deals. The senior centers around here are also really good on their prices on everything they have in there.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Consignment shops are getting more expensive because people are trying to make money off of their clothes -and- the store needs a cut. When it's already used clothing that isn't worth much, it's hard not to just buy elsewhere. I still like getting clothes from thrift stores and whatnot, but not consignment at all.

5. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I buy my clothes from the local street markets mostly, or the sale rails at stores. They're much cheaper that way. I've had 75% discounts on shorts at the end of summer, or sweaters in spring. I will buy the odd second hand piece, if it's a good label and in as new condition, because it's something I couldn't afford new.

As Jessi says, people are trying to make some cash, which is why second hand clothes have become so expensive. 30 or 40 years ago, only dirt poor people bought second hand stuff, so it was ridiculously cheap, as supply far exceeded demand. Remember that song by Barbra Streisand, Second Hand Rose? Things are different these days, yet increasing prices are going to drive people away from the second hand market once again.

6. GrandmaHugme

GrandmaHugmeMember

Threads:
    Although consignment shops can offer some great values on household items, when it comes to clothes, most people prefer to wait for a great discount in stores rather than wear clothes that have already been worn. Unless it is a plastic rain coat, gloves, or scarf, I do not see how shoppers would feel it is wearable. Even the furniture in consignment shops seems to be more expensive than what can be purchased on sale. I get the impression they are trying to impress customers by having unique items and are, therefore, pretending to be borderline antique shops. That just does not seem logical to me.

7. SmartVersatileCookie

SmartVersatileCookieNew Member

Threads:
    I would much rather buy my kid's clothes new from the mall on clearance than a consignment shop. I agree that the shop's clothing is getting much more expensive. Instead of marking the prices down by 50% or more, they are selling the items closer to retail value. I am pretty much finished with shopping at consignment shops for clothes because of the higher prices.

8. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    I have found this trend as well. I know that Kohls recently had a major sale and this let me get my kids new outfits for about a hundred bucks each. And it was wardrobes not outfits. So it was a great deal for me and them!

9. Maverickhope

MaverickhopeNew Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have noticed the same trend here. By the time the consignment shop has marked it so they can make money on top what the seller wants the cost is usually around the same as sale price. I do the garage sale thing and tend to donate what my child outgrows. If she leaves it in a decent condition that is. She is very tom-boy so some of her stuff is nothing more than rags by the time I force her to retire them HAHA. I do occasionally drop something at a resale store if she wore it just a couple times and it was expensive enough to warrent the effort.

10. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    I have shopped here before, but I find the prices to be not much cheaper then retail on some items. This is really true if the item still has its tag. They seem to be only 20% cheaper then this price. Even if the item is not in style still.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer the thrift stores when I shop. You can find some good deals, sometimes the items still have the tags on them. One of the stores I liked have increased their prices so much I stopped going there, I can get a new item for the same price as an old item from that store.

12. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    It's not just you. Once I went to a consignment shop in my neighborhood, and I was shocked at the prices! The price of a shirt was like $11, which is the same as Walmart, Target or JC Penny. A pair of shoes at the consignment shops were like $10 (seriously, they're USED). Why would anyone purchase used clothes or shoes when they could buy new clothes or shoes for the same price or cheaper?! I think consignment shops are getting greedy.

13. kittykarina

kittykarinaActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on the area. For example, I've heard alot of people complain about Goodwill in other cities/states and they say that it is horribly expensive and the clothes have holes, etc... Well the one in our town (my mom happens to work at) is super cheap. Clothes are like $2-5. Then they have different days of the weeks where they have tags on them and you can get stuff for half off meaning you can get it for like a dollar. Their VHS movies are 25 cents, their books are 10 cents. Also, they are very particular about the clothes they put out. They have people in the back that sort through and tag the clothes. If they have holes or are raggedy, they will not be put out. Our Goodwill is also really good about helping out people. If a homeless person comes in and asks for clothes for a job interview, the manager will let them pick out a whole outfit including shoes. There was also a family that came in that their house burnt down and the manager let them pick out furniture, clothes, and even a few toys for the kids. I really like our Goodwill. Now we have other thrift stores that I will not step foot in such as the Salvation Army and Christians in Action in our town. They are horribly expensive and I can never find anything that is worth what they are charging.

14. deannatroupe

deannatroupeMember

Threads:
    I love shopping at the Goodwill. I don't see how anyone can say they are expensive. Really? I got a Perry Ellis shirt for less than $5. I know that shirt would have costed an arm and a leg if I bought it new. What do these people expect?

15. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I only go to consignment shops when I am shopping for the sport, not when I really need something. Its just when I am out looking for something to do, and it won't matter if I stumble about something or not. I don't really find anything for me. But I like looking at the vintage clothes, bags, and shoes.

16. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    I've never really liked buying used clothes (or used anything!) for my son, well, because I'm just icky with sanitation issues. But I do let him wear used clothes (if they are from someone I know). I love buying at clearance racks. My little one is so messy all the time that I need to change his clothes about 5-6 times a day. Imagine how much I would have to spend if I don't buy his clothes on clearance? I also like to wait on major sales of different stores, so I get to hoard on baby clothes without feeling guilty that it will put a dent on the family budget.

17. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I find that the clothes are cheaper if you go to clearance racks at department stores. I will stock up on different sizes when they have a good sale going on. I live near a department store called Dillards and they will get 66% off clothes then at the end of most months they will have an additional 30 to 40% off of that! The absolute cheapest is to go to a really nice community neighborhood garage sale in your area. I've found Ralph Lauren, Baby Gap, etc. for 25 to 50 cents each and they look new! I'm sure this is a lot better for babies/toddlers though and not when they get older.

18. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with tjshort. Garage sales are the way to go! My mother gets clothes for my daughter at local garage sales for pennies on the dollar. Some clothing items still have tags on them. Shop early in a nice neighborhood and you may be pleasantly surprised at what you find.

#18Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  19. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I can find things for $2 on the clearance racks, sometimes. It depends on the store. There's a chain of consignment stores near me, and there prices are high for used clothes. There's a local place that I love. They carry everything and have a good selection. The prices are more than reasonable. They have a fifty cent clearance room. I find all kinds of great stuff in there, just have to have the patience to dig through it all.