Contacts, Are They Worth the Hassle?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by MakeshiftMiloh • Nov 2, 2013.

1. MakeshiftMiloh

MakeshiftMilohMember

Threads:
    Being a person with a very high prescription (-12), I was always under the impression that contacts were an unavailable option for me. But very recently, I learned that my prescription is just on the edge of what is possible, and I've been toying with the idea of giving contacts a shot.

What are your experiences with contacts? Are they worth all the trouble and expense in your mind? Or are glasses just easier to deal with?

2. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    Wow your prescription is insane. Doctors always tell me that mine is high at -6.5. Are you legally blind? Serious question.

Anyways, I think they are worth it. You can see so much better with contacts and don't have to worry about your glasses slipping off.

3. MakeshiftMiloh

MakeshiftMilohMember

Threads:
    Haha, if you'd believe me, I only just recently learned that my prescription was so abnormal. No doctor ever commented on it, and I simply had no idea just how terrible my eyes really were. However, despite all that, a person is only considered legally blind if their vision is so abysmal that modern lenses, even at their strongest possible manufactured prescription, are unable to fully correct it. My vision can still be almost completely corrected, and I believe modern lenses can handle numbers up to -30. If I am without my glasses, then yes, the world becomes absolutely impossible to navigate on my own.

Thank you for your input, Dame!

4. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I think contacts are worth the hassle for people who hate the way glasses look on them. Then there are people who hate wearing glasses period. There are a lot of things that glasses conflict with, that you might want to do in your every day life.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The grade of my lens is 110 only, and I've been wearing glasses for 10 years now and my vision has not returned to normal yet. I don't intend to try out contacts because I don't like touching my eyes. I had a friend that wore contacts before, and she had to always put drops of this certain medication to her eyes because it needs to be moisturized, so I find it fussy.

6. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I love my contacts. I have been wearing contacts for almost 8 years. I think they are extremely easy to wear and care for. When I traveled overseas, I wore them 24/7. I can do that with my brand, but I usually take them out at night. I do not have any issues with dryness. Some people do, but I don't. My only recommendation is get soft lenses if you can. People with an astigmatism usually have to wear hard lenses. They take more work. Also, people will like one brand over another depending on their eye shape and feel. I wear O2 Optix, but my son wears Acuvue. It sometimes takes trial samples to find the right feel.

7. MakeshiftMiloh

MakeshiftMilohMember

Threads:
    This is all very helpful, Mindy. I'm thinking I'll go into my eye-doctor and see what he has to say about me in a few days, and kind of narrow down what my options might be. Thank you so much!

8. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never used contact lenses because I don't think they are worth the hassle. I don't like the idea of putting something into my eye, it just doesn't appeal to me.

I wear glasses and I like the way they look so I will stick with that. I can understand why people use contact lenses, they are just not for me.

9. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    Wow I never knew that. -30, that is nuts! I can't see anything without my glasses either. I think the world just becomes a blur to everyone at a certain number.

10. illusion

illusionMember

Threads:
    I wore contacts for a year in high school. I decided I can't stand wearing them, and have decided to never go back. My wife on the other hand hates glasses and loves her contacts. So, we're completely opposite. Glasses don't seem like much of a hassle for me. But, the whole time I was wearing contacts, I would never forget their in my eyes. I've tried every type available. I just can't stand having anything in my eyes.

11. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I wear contacts for years and so far I'm loving them. It takes time to get used to wearing them though but I'd rather have them than the traditional eyeglasses.

12. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I have been repeatedly told over the years that my eyes are too bad for contacts, apparently they don't make them thick enough so that I can see with them in and if they made some then I would be in some discomfort when they are in. I don't mind though because I'm a rather clumsy person and would probably poke myself in the eye every morning and evening putting them in and out!

It is quite fashionable to wear glasses now, some wear glasses with no lenses!