Container gardening vs. Yard gardening

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Lady350 • Dec 18, 2013.

1. Lady350

Lady350Member

Threads:
    I want to know if container gardening is better than gardening in the ground?

2. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Not much of a difference, it's a matter of preference and the amount of space you have. Unless you're talking about organic vegetables then yes, they are better than those grown on the ground.

3. thriftyme

thriftymeMember

Threads:
    I like container gardening. Mainly, I like being able to control the content of the soil. Also, it's easy to isolate a plant that gets pests or disease that way. I elevate the containers so I can care for them without getting down on the ground. It's much easier that way. I grow tomatoes and cucumbers in containers in my back yard nearly every year. They taste so much better than the store bought produce.

4. dreamseer

dreamseerMember

Threads:
    Growing in the ground is always going to be a little better, because it's the way plants are supposed to grow. But you can make up the difference by having good quality fertilized soil when you start. When you container garden, you are in control of every aspect of the growing process, therefore with a little effort, you can have an amazing abundance of produce.

My parents have always grown a garden and they recently switched to container gardening because of their age. They have enjoyed it because they can "piddle" around on their patio in their little garden without having to put forth too much labor.

Just remember that container plants dry out very fast, so you will have to keep them well watered.

5. shother

shotherMember

Threads:
    I'd say I prefer yard gardening because I think plants have more space and grow better than in container gardening. If you have the space and time available go for yard gardening.

6. marika200

marika200New Member

Threads:
    I prefer yard gardening, but I have had good luck growing some rosebushes, especially antique varieties, in 24-inch containers. Also, when I lived out in Utah for a few years, I noticed a lady I was buying iris from had hostas growing in containers. It gets a lot colder there than it does where I was from in Arkansas, and she said sometimes she would put a few leaves around them. When I moved back to Arkansas, the ground was so hard, I could barely dig, so I put my hostas I bought in containers and have left them. They are absolutely beautiful and have done great!

7. aaronanthony

aaronanthonyNew Member

Threads:
    You should know from the beginning that not all vegetables grow well in containers. By planting in a contained environment, you are inhibiting the plant’s growth to some extent. Think about it — plants can send out roots and root hairs only as far as the walls of the pot allow. Restricted by the pot, not all plants will come to full maturity and produce food. This presents the biggest challenge of growing food in small spaces.