Conventional oil, synthetic oil or blends?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by boone • Oct 16, 2012.

1. boone

booneNew Member

Threads:
    What kind of oil do you normally use in your car. I know a lot of newer cars are recommending synthetic oils because the are shown to have a longer life than conventional oils. I personally use regular old Valvoline oil for my vehicles. I don't have anything brand new so the good old stuff has worked just fine for me in the past. I was once thinking of using a lend but the salesman told me that there really aren't any standards for blended oils yet. So one blend might be 50/50 and another might be 90/10. So you really don't know what you are getting with the blends.

2. pilot2fly

pilot2flyMember

Threads:
    I use conventional oil. I have a Dodge Neon and I put regular oil in it. I go for the cheapest I can find because money is tight right now. I also have a SRT-4 that I put full synthetics in. You have to for a car like that.

3. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    Well I can say money is tight with me too. But I opt for synthetic oil, in part because of the cold winters and leaving my truck outside at night where I worked.
    I understand the synthetic is much better on the engine for coming up to operating temperature and the viscosity factor, how it flows in a very cold engine. In Canada we have hard winters and low temperatures. The synthetic is in my truck but my motorcycle which does not run in the winter cold has regular Motorcycle oil. As well with synthetic, you can go longer and further on oil changes. How much longer how much further I will leave to those with more expertise.
    Ryder13

#3Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Synthetic oil is more expensive. Nonetheless, it's better for your engine and might save you a lot of money. In that case, are you really saving money with conventional stuff? Note, cheaper isn't always cheaper.

5. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I think the answer to this question can vary greatly, because in fact, it will depend on the need (and the particular taste) of each person. All forms are valid, but not all of them fit all cars. I particularly prefer conventional oils for my car becuase always works perfectly.